TSP Stage 1 Cam LS3... Anyone have it??? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Stage 1 Cam LS3... Anyone have it???

Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Default TSP Stage 1 Cam LS3... Anyone have it???

Im currently build my 2012 Grand Sport A6 for a reliable track/street car. I ordered Slp longtudes w/catted x-pipe and an Slp intake. Im planning have the car dyne tuned once its all installed, but then started to consider adding a Cam to the package since the custom tune is inevitable.

My Car is an Automatic. Really need some advice if a mild came is worth doing. Obviously sound and power is awesome.... but are there any downsides to a mild cam in a ls3?

Car does 3, 20 minutes sessions when im racing. Needs to be able to hold up to constant rpms (3500-4500 rpms)

Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Anyone?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 AM
dicky
CF Senior Member

Its hard to find info on the smaller cams. I did a quick google search on the cam spec and got this

hope this helps some
dicky
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dicky View Post
Its hard to find info on the smaller cams. I did a quick google search on the cam spec and got this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D84UQNRvJU

hope this helps some
dicky
Thanks man, I've probably listened to every similar spec cam on youtube as well lol. This was a new one to me tho.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Noveske
CF Member

Everyone wants huge cams anymore. Mine is a 222/234 Pat G cam, and it pulls like crazy. If the heads flow well, you don't need a huge cam to make power. I would suggest you talk to Pat G, and tell him your target rpm that you want the power, and he can suggest a cam that will do whatever you need it to do. Even a mild cam is a big difference over stock, in how it pulls, and where the peaks are.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Ragtop 99
CF Senior Member

Other than a 1 -2 mpg mpg loss and the cost of buying and installing it, there is no downside to a mild cam. A calm idle and good low rpm manners can be maintained while having more power pretty much everywhere. There is an opportunity cost to not going a little bigger, but giving up 10 - 20 HP to be sure it has stock like manners is a choice many daily drivers make.

There can be additional valve train noise and wear, but you can choose the lobe profiles that are consistent with the trade-off you're willing to accept.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragtop 99 For This Useful Post:
old motorhead (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Yeah really don't see any down sides to a mild cam swap. Plan on doing all the work myself
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
jaybee924
CF Senior Member

Just remember depending on the cam since your an automatic you may need a stall. That being said Tick Performance has a Stock Stall converter cam if you don't want to replace your stall.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...3-l99-engines/

Last edited by jaybee924; 01-12-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Yeah thats why im stay with the stage 1 cam (Mild specs and lsa). Definitely don't want to get into replacing the torque converter. Use the car for road racing, not drag racing.

Last edited by Brad's LS3 Vette; 01-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 PM
dicky
CF Senior Member

I’m in the middle of putting a mild cam (stage 1 btr) in and porting stock heads on my LS2. It should be done within a month or so and I can let you know how it turns out if you don’t already have your mind made by then. My car has all the bolt ons and a 3800 fti triple disk stall, I’m kinda expecting it to put down about 435 to 455 range and be a very easy daily driver if I’d want.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Brad's LS3 Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dicky View Post
Iím in the middle of putting a mild cam (stage 1 btr) in and porting stock heads on my LS2. It should be done within a month or so and I can let you know how it turns out if you donít already have your mind made by then. My car has all the bolt ons and a 3800 fti triple disk stall, Iím kinda expecting it to put down about 435 to 455 range and be a very easy daily driver if Iíd want.
Yeah I would definitely like your input! I haven't ordered mine yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSP Stage 1 Cam LS3... Anyone have it???

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: