C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 With Nav Unit, No Chime & Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default 2012 With Nav Unit, No Chime & Sound

I have posted in the Audio/Electronics section. I have a 2012 Nav Unit that has no Chime when opening door and no sound when in accessory mode. When you run the engine or hold the start button down for full on mode the chime and sound return. A bit of info as to what I did, I replaced the bose amp as it was not working when I first got the car. Upon replacing the amp chime and sound worked as it should. After a few days I lost the chime and sound when opening door and in accessory mode. I have no codes to go by so I am in the dark on this one.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

As you figured out, the chime and door signal is through the GM land bus to send the signal to either the bose amp, or to stock radio if there is no bose amp in play.

So the problem is you lost the signal through the radio converter device to the amps radio/amps isntead.

So bank that the needed signal is still being sent on the GM lan bus, and the problem lies somewhere in the radio adapter, or down line to the radio or amps after it instead.

So not know if you are using a Pac device or something else, would first start with that programming and manual, to make sure that the device is not program out the signal repeat to start with.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Dano523
As you figured out, the chime and door signal is through the GM land bus to send the signal to either the bose amp, or to stock radio if there is no bose amp in play.

So the problem is you lost the signal through the radio converter device to the amps radio/amps isntead.

So bank that the needed signal is still being sent on the GM lan bus, and the problem lies somewhere in the radio adapter, or down line to the radio or amps after it instead.

So not know if you are using a Pac device or something else, would first start with that programming and manual, to make sure that the device is not program out the signal repeat to start with.
Everything is stock and after reading your reply I did a search and came up with a post you made explaining GM land bus. It would seem as you said the signal is loss when the door or accessory mode is on.

The GM bus lan (tan-tn/bk wires) is a full loop through all the main modules.
Hence in and then back out of most of the connectors to the main modules of the car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by XX; 01-15-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Land bus on c3, remote playback on C2.

What device did you use, hence PAC or something else, and what model number, since will bank that the problem lies within it's programming.

Also to note, the radio has to come out of sleep mode when the door is opened (why there is not ACC power wire to the OEM radio), so it can produce the sound through the speaker (come out of sleep mode before the ignition is turned on). Hence with a OEM radio, although it may not be on in the common sense of things like the display showing it on, it is out of sleep mode to play the signal instead.

So with an after market radio or amps that is not getting power/turning on until the car goes into ACC or run mode first, this is going to cause the same problem as well. Hence signal is being set by the car, but the radio or amps is not getting power to turn on to play the signal isntead.

Hence why on some devices, the signal to the amps, and even the power to turn them on, is sent through the interface device, so even if the radio is not turned on, the intrerface device will turn the amps on and send the needed tone signal through the device to the amps isntead.

Hence the interface device itself will do the sleep mode thing, and when it receives the signal, will wake up, power up just the amps, and send the signal tone to be played by the amps (interface will have a pot on it to adjust the volume of the play level of the tone throw the amps, since the radio is still off and not involved with this funtion).

Last edited by Dano523; 01-16-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Land bus on c3, remote playback on C2.

What device did you use, hence PAC or something else, and what model number, since will bank that the problem lies within it's programming.

Also to note, the radio has to come out of sleep mode when the door is opened (why there is not ACC power wire to the OEM radio), so it can produce the sound through the speaker (come out of sleep mode before the ignition is turned on). Hence with a OEM radio, although it may not be on in the common sense of things like the display showing it on, it is out of sleep mode to play the signal instead.

So with an after market radio or amps that is not getting power/turning on until the car goes into ACC or run mode first, this is going to cause the same problem as well. Hence signal is being set by the car, but the radio or amps is not getting power to turn on to play the signal isntead.

Hence why on some devices, the signal to the amps, and even the power to turn them on, is sent through the interface device, so even if the radio is not turned on, the intrerface device will turn the amps on and send the needed tone signal through the device to the amps isntead.

Hence the interface device itself will do the sleep mode thing, and when it receives the signal, will wake up, power up just the amps, and send the signal tone to be played by the amps (interface will have a pot on it to adjust the volume of the play level of the tone throw the amps, since the radio is still off and not involved with this funtion).
I have a 2012 Convertible with a RPO U65 Stock Nav System & stock Bose amp, no modification. I will try to do a bit of investigation in the next few days.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
I have a 2012 Convertible with a RPO U65 Stock Nav System & stock Bose amp, no modification. I will try to do a bit of investigation in the next few days.
If stock Nav radio, start by turning back on the auto volume control too see if that solves the problem.

If not, I do remember a Nav radio setting in the Tech 2 that will allow to control the feature in question.
Hence, its only the Nav radio that will not allow you to control the volume of the chime via the radio buttons like you can on the non nav radios, so you have to do it through the tech II as well.

Also try this as well,

Chime Level Adjustment
The radio is used to adjust the vehicle’s chime level.
To change the volume level of the chime, press and hold
pushbutton 6 with the ignition on and the radio power
off. The volume level will change from the normal
level to loud, and LOUD will appear on the radio display.
To change back to the default or normal setting,
press and hold pushbutton 6 again. The volume level
will change from the loud level to normal, and NORMAL
will appear on the radio display. Only one chime will
be heard when changing from the normal to the
loud setting. Each time the chime volume is changed,
three chimes will sound as an example of the new
volume selected. Removing the radio and not replacing
it with a factory radio or chime module will disable
vehicle chimes.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-17-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

If stock Nav radio, start by turning back on the auto volume control too see if that solves the problem.

If not, I do remember a Nav radio setting in the Tech 2 that will allow to control the feature in question.
Hence, its only the Nav radio that will not allow you to control the volume of the chime via the radio buttons like you can on the non nav radios, so you have to do it through the tech II as well.

Also try this as well,

Chime Level Adjustment
The radio is used to adjust the vehicle’s chime level.
To change the volume level of the chime, press and hold
pushbutton 6 with the ignition on and the radio power
off. The volume level will change from the normal
level to loud, and LOUD will appear on the radio display.
To change back to the default or normal setting,
press and hold pushbutton 6 again. The volume level
will change from the loud level to normal, and NORMAL
will appear on the radio display. Only one chime will
be heard when changing from the normal to the
loud setting. Each time the chime volume is changed,
three chimes will sound as an example of the new
volume selected. Removing the radio and not replacing
it with a factory radio or chime module will disable
vehicle chimes.
Thanks for the help but I am unable to do anything until I receive a new bcm. I am having bad luck getting one not damaged, original order damaged and replacement with identical damaged. Although the damage to the bcm is only the housing retainer to hold the fuse I puller I sent them back and asked for the third to have the fuse puller removed for shipping and they said they could not do that. So I ordered from a different source and asked to have the fuse puller removed for shipping. Should have it next week.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 With Nav Unit, No Chime & Sound

Quick Reply: 2012 With Nav Unit, No Chime & Sound