C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temp Error - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM
jjaskot
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temp Error - Help!

Greetings all,

Was driving my 2006 base model C6 (100K miles) yesterday going about 45 mph, outside temp mid-50s F, when I got a message on the dash that said "Hot Engine - Turning Off A/C" or equivalent. Temperature gauge on the dash went all the way to the minimum. Coolant Temp on the dash displayed XXX F when I cycled through to it. Sounded like a fan also ramped up once this error appeared. Engine definitely wasn't overheating (popped the hood once I parked), and when I started the car up again 10 hrs later, the same messages came up. Coolant level in the tank appears normal.

Saw some posts on here regarding fixes and discussions on this - I'm quite the novice when it comes to car repair, so not sure what I can handle or not. Some people suggested replacing the coolant sensor, I was wondering the process for that. Others said there may be air in the system affecting the sensor's ability to read the temperature.

Any advice? Should I just take it to a mechanic? And is it ok to drive while this is going on? Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM
dieselracer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There a a few scenarios that can cause this. The car went into fail safe because it thinks something is wrong. First thing I would do is to check and clear the code. Start the car. Don't drive it. let it warm up and see that everything is working. The coolant sensor might have gone bad. But when it does into fail safe it wont show you what it sees.

By chance did you start the car and drive away with little to no warm up? If the car takes too long to warm up it will do that. The computer wants to see the engine reach 160F before you hit the highway or go above 40ish in a cruise. The code might be P0128
Old 02-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaskot
Greetings all,

Was driving my 2006 base model C6 (100K miles) yesterday going about 45 mph, outside temp mid-50s F, when I got a message on the dash that said "Hot Engine - Turning Off A/C" or equivalent. Temperature gauge on the dash went all the way to the minimum. Coolant Temp on the dash displayed XXX F when I cycled through to it. Sounded like a fan also ramped up once this error appeared. Engine definitely wasn't overheating (popped the hood once I parked), and when I started the car up again 10 hrs later, the same messages came up. Coolant level in the tank appears normal.

Saw some posts on here regarding fixes and discussions on this - I'm quite the novice when it comes to car repair, so not sure what I can handle or not. Some people suggested replacing the coolant sensor, I was wondering the process for that. Others said there may be air in the system affecting the sensor's ability to read the temperature.

Any advice? Should I just take it to a mechanic? And is it ok to drive while this is going on? Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
What did the analog temp gauge read in the cluster?.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I had that problem,
When driving home at night when the temperature was low. I would get that message on the freeway about the same spot all the time it appeared. I believe the car does not warm up enough for the computer. I'm sure I had a 180 thermal-stat in the car at the time. When I changed it out to a stock temp. The message didn't come back. I don't like the high temp with the stock thermal-stat

Last edited by Coupe89; 02-02-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
187C5Z06
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently encountered a similar issue. Car sat for over a year while repairing the transmission. Upon reassembly started, ran and drove just fine. A few days later, upon cold start, after running for about 30 seconds, temp gauge pegged 260 degrees, but the car is obviously not overheating. Suspected coolant temp sensor to have failed (on drivers side cylinder head, to the front of the exhaust manifold, just behind the alternator). Pick up new one, wait til next morning so everything is cold, disconnect battery, R+R coolant sensor, reconnect battery. Problem solved. Ten minutes in my driveway, and less than $30 for the sensor. Only 10mm socket and 19 mm deep socket needed.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 187C5Z06
Recently encountered a similar issue. Car sat for over a year while repairing the transmission. Upon reassembly started, ran and drove just fine. A few days later, upon cold start, after running for about 30 seconds, temp gauge pegged 260 degrees, but the car is obviously not overheating. Suspected coolant temp sensor to have failed (on drivers side cylinder head, to the front of the exhaust manifold, just behind the alternator). Pick up new one, wait til next morning so everything is cold, disconnect battery, R+R coolant sensor, reconnect battery. Problem solved. Ten minutes in my driveway, and less than $30 for the sensor. Only 10mm socket and 19 mm deep socket needed.
Use an AC Delco sensor as well. This should correct the issue.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Also any sensor before replacing you should try disconnecting and reconnecting it's cable.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
Also any sensor before replacing you should try disconnecting and reconnecting it's cable.
What cable??...Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Temp Error - Help!

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Error - Help!