C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which header for LS2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Which header for LS2

I have a 05 Z51 6 speed LS2 street cruiser weekend toy. I had a BTR stage two cam kit installed B&B axle back and now am ready for headers. The cam definitely improved performance and has a sexy lope too.

However to me and my seat of the pants dyno it seem the cam cost me some low end torque below 3500.

I plan to get Kook ceramic coated headers but not sure which size. Currently have a mild tune at 388 RWT and 406 HP on mustang dyno.

I want as much torque down low as I can get. Make me a suggestion please.

Last edited by Texan79423; 03-31-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:16 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan79423
I have a 05 Z51 6 speed LS2 street cruiser weekend toy. I had a BTR stage two cam kit installed B&B axle back and now am ready for headers. The cam definitely improved performance and has a sexy lope too.

However to me and my seat of the pants dyno it seem the cam cost me some low end torque below 3500.

I plan to get Kook ceramic coated headers but not sure which size. Currently have a mild tune at 388 RWT and 406 HP on mustang dyno.

I want as much torque down low as I can get. Make me a suggestion please.
you can purchase the OBX catted LTH's for $800. and make the same power as anything out there.they are a quality product.use new GM MLS
exhaust manifold gaskets and with the money you save you will be able to buy a new ported Fast 102 intake manifold
Old 03-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,659 Posts

If you are staying NA and its low end torque you are looking for go with 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 tubes . I would stay away from the cheap brands as they use mild steel or cheap stainless, may threads about fit also . Can't go wrong with Kooks or LG. I went with LG and the fit was fantastic ,easy to install , they tucked up in the tunnel nicely and plenty of clearance around the plugs

Dave
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Kooks are a great choice cause they go rite in without dropping the cradle or removing the starter like with the ARH as for size 1 7/8 for sure.

Definitely get a 3 inch Kooks X pipe as well even if you keep your 2 1/2 oem axle back it will make a big difference however 3 inch all the way across is best.

Reason you feel like you lost some power down low is exhaust restriction that will go away with the headers and will pick up your top end too.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:15 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
you can purchase the OBX catted LTH's for $800. and make the same power as anything out there.they are a quality product.use new GM MLS
exhaust manifold gaskets and with the money you save you will be able to buy a new ported Fast 102 intake manifold
after i tried to go american and they left me hanging (waited over 6 weeks with no shipment), I gave up and I picked up a set of OBX. Got it in 3 days!

It was a little ugly on the head flanges but overall a great cost/performance piece. I'd do it again and I am fairly critical of things I put on the car. O2 clearances were fine and I got everything in with no issues. it hangs a little low but not as bad as some of the other headers ive seen pics of.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
after i tried to go american and they left me hanging (waited over 6 weeks with no shipment), I gave up and I picked up a set of OBX. Got it in 3 days!

It was a little ugly on the head flanges but overall a great cost/performance piece. I'd do it again and I am fairly critical of things I put on the car. O2 clearances were fine and I got everything in with no issues. it hangs a little low but not as bad as some of the other headers ive seen pics of.
I bought the ARH and both leaked from all four fixed it myself but installing and removing them is a pita sold them and got kooks these too hang a little low but installation and removal is a piece of cake if you let em go will drop all the way to the floor.
I like to make the car easy to work on.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xBoostx
I bought the ARH and both leaked from all four fixed it myself but installing and removing them is a pita sold them and got kooks these too hang a little low but installation and removal is a piece of cake if you let em go will drop all the way to the floor.
Yup, never really heard much bad things about kooks.
If money was no object I'd def go jet-hot coated kooks. with my current situation, i needed to go budget . dont regret it at all though - and normally being penny wise pound foolish makes me .
Old 04-01-2018, 06:39 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks men. My tuner recommended Kooks and I can see why now,
Old 04-01-2018, 02:51 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 902 Likes on 690 Posts

What part of Texas? I am selling a set of ARH 1-7/8 with catted x-pipe. No leaks and bolted up just fine. They are ceramic coated already.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:55 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
If you are staying NA and its low end torque you are looking for go with 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 tubes . I would stay away from the cheap brands as they use mild steel or cheap stainless, may threads about fit also . Can't go wrong with Kooks or LG. I went with LG and the fit was fantastic ,easy to install , they tucked up in the tunnel nicely and plenty of clearance around the plugs

Dave

I went with LG also. Sound great, fit great. High quality product.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

B&B axle back=B&B LTH 13/4 (If you don't need cats, your H-pipe will bolt right up)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:23 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
A shop for ARH put my on and they have been leaking for years at the flange but ARH will not replace them...$1800 for ****!!...I was told many times that 1.75 was the size to go for if i did not plan on going boosted...More low in TQ.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
A shop for ARH put my on and they have been leaking for years at the flange but ARH will not replace them...$1800 for ****!!...I was told many times that 1.75 was the size to go for if i did not plan on going boosted...More low in TQ.
Wow, that sucks. Do you know if its MLS or paper gaskets?

If its not MLS you should redo it yourself. Its not that difficult to remove/replace just the gasket. Start from the middle outwards. finger tight, from middle->out, then 11 ft lbs, then 15 ft lbs.

so that would be a pattern like 3,4,2,5,1,6 (doesnt matter which side you count from.)

You should really fix that leak - the only "tight" seal thats really necessary is the flange since O2s are reading post flange. Everything past the primary O2s dont need to be truly "leak free" - it will sound better and you'll get a bit more power but your car will be running fine.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:39 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Wow, that sucks. Do you know if its MLS or paper gaskets?

If its not MLS you should redo it yourself. Its not that difficult to remove/replace just the gasket. Start from the middle outwards. finger tight, from middle->out, then 11 ft lbs, then 15 ft lbs.

so that would be a pattern like 3,4,2,5,1,6 (doesnt matter which side you count from.)

You should really fix that leak - the only "tight" seal thats really necessary is the flange since O2s are reading post flange. Everything past the primary O2s dont need to be truly "leak free" - it will sound better and you'll get a bit more power but your car will be running fine.
They used OEM gaskets as recommended they are leaking next to where they are tacked welded on the outed side.I took it to a shop in my town and they wanted $600.00 to removed them and weld 360 degrees around the tube next to the flange.I can not do that work myself anymore.I cannot hear the leaking (All eight) but i can see the black smudge on the pipe.Car runs good,but it might run better if no leaks??...Thanks for the info about the 02s. ..NOTE: One photo below #15

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 04-04-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Old 04-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Ohh. They probably did too much inner porting after they welded the tube. If its a really thin break in the weld the carbon might seal up the holes enough so they arent leaking anymore. Or, if they only leak at WOT it might not matter since the car goes into open loop anyway and ignores the O2s.

That is prtty terrible that ARH won't honor it though. I can understand a defect since i believe the porting is done by hand after its welded, but they should stand by their products.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Ohh. They probably did too much inner porting after they welded the tube. If its a really thin break in the weld the carbon might seal up the holes enough so they arent leaking anymore. Or, if they only leak at WOT it might not matter since the car goes into open loop anyway and ignores the O2s.

That is prtty terrible that ARH won't honor it though. I can understand a defect since i believe the porting is done by hand after its welded, but they should stand by their products.
They say lifetime warranty,but that is BS...I went back and forth with them and the shop and they keep saying that they are making a new set for me and that was two years ago...I gave up and filed a suit against them...Question: Do you mean the primary 02s? because that is the only two that is on my vette the other two was deleted.

Get notified of new replies

To Which header for LS2

Old 04-05-2018, 04:09 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
They say lifetime warranty,but that is BS...I went back and forth with them and the shop and they keep saying that they are making a new set for me and that was two years ago...I gave up and filed a suit against them...Question: Do you mean the primary 02s? because that is the only two that is on my vette the other two was deleted.

Yup, the primary O2s are the important ones. The 2ndary is only there to check catalytic convertor performance. However, in open loop (WOT), fueling is not affected by O2 readings.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Kooks is the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tmryann