C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 PM
jarburtha
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shocks

Dealership in Oklahoma City wants to charge $3000.00 to replace shocks on front and rear of my 2012 GS centennial. $1600 for front and $1400 for the rear. I don't mind paying to keep her running at peak performance, but $3000 for shocks. Anybody know a good mechanic in the Oklahoma City Metro area?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:13 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If you are talking about the Mag Ride shocks, it is highly unlikely you need new shocks.

What proof did they provide to support their claim all the shocks need to be replaced?

There have been many posts here about dealers trying to sell new MRC shocks to unsuspecting owners. They are a high profit item and most people don't know any better.

Tell us more. How many miles on the car? Proof? Pics?
The following users liked this post:
jarburtha (04-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 PM
jarburtha
7th Gear

20,850 miles. Service advisor stated front shocks are leaking and rear seeping. I took car in for an oil change. Will pick car up tomorrow.

Last edited by jarburtha; 04-05-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Hedon (03-30-2021)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

$3,000 is pretty high but not too surprised from a dealer.

IF they need to be replaced you can pick them up for about $1,100 and replace them yourself. BUT my guess is that they may be seeping but do not need to be replaced as Rick stated.
jarburtha (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 PM
norton1090
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I can find the bulletin I will post it.

The magnetic ride shocks "seep" a little and then their magnetic nature causes everything metallic to stick to them, IE brake dust.

If they are bad the BCM will actually set codes.

You will definitely know they are bad.

The dealership is more than likely just uneducated here and not necessarily trying to screw you.
jarburtha (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM
norton1090
Heel & Toe

#05-03-08-002H: Information on Diagnosis and Replacement of Shock Absorber and Strut Due to Fluid Leak - (Dec 9, 2016)
Subject: Information on Diagnosis and Replacement of Shock Absorber and Strut Due to Fluid Leak

Models: 2017 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export from North America vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Bulletin has been revised to add the 2017 Model Year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-08-002G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is intended to help identify the severity of shock absorber and strut fluid seepage. Improper diagnosis may lead to components being replaced that are within the manufacturer's specification. Shock absorbers and strut assemblies are fluid-filled components and will normally exhibit some seepage. Seepage is defined as oil film or dust accumulation on the exterior of the shock housing. Shock absorbers and struts are not to be replaced under warranty for seepage. Use the following information to determine if the condition is normal acceptable seepage or a defective component.

Important: Electronically controlled shock absorbers (MR) may have a tendency to attract dust to this oil film. Often this film and dust can be wiped off and will not return until similar mileage is accumulated again.

Inspection Procedure
Note: The shock absorber or strut assembly DOES NOT have to be removed from the vehicle to perform the following inspection procedure.

Use the following descriptions and graphics to determine the serviceability of the component.

Shock Absorbers
Object ID: 2360533Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Do Not Replace shock absorbers displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.

 1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom or top of the shock absorber and not originating from the shaft seal (the upper part of the lower shock tube).
 2. Light film/residue on approximately 1/3 (a) or less of the lower shock tube (A) and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace shock absorbers displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.

 3. Oil drip or trail down the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.
 4. An extreme wet film of oil covering more than 1/3 (b) of the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.
Coil-over Shock Absorber
Object ID: 2360536Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Do Not Replace coil-over shock absorbers displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.

 1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom of the lower shock absorber tube or the coil-over shock absorber components and not originating from the shaft seal (located at the top of the coil-over shock tube).
 2. Light film/residue on the shock absorber tube, but not on the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace coil-over shock absorbers displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.

 3. Oil drip or trail down the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.
 4. An extreme, wet film of oil covering the shock absorber tube and pooling in the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Struts

Do Not Replace Struts displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.

 1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom of the strut tube or on other strut components and not originating from the shaft seal.
 2. Light film/residue on the strut tube, but not on the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace Struts displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.

 3. Oil drip or trail down the strut tube and originating from the shaft seal (located at the top of the strut tube).
 4. Extreme wet film of oil covering the strut tube and pooling in the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Correction
Use the information published in SI for diagnosis and repair.

Use the applicable published labor operation.

Last edited by norton1090; 04-05-2018 at 06:16 PM.
jarburtha (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 PM
jarburtha
7th Gear

Driver side front shock

driver side front shock
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

jarburtha (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 02:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Wipe those shocks "clean" and just keep an eye on them. "IF" they are really leaking you will be able to tell in a short time. IMO they look fine but others here have more experience. The MRC shocks on my '08 never gave any problems in 8 years.
jarburtha (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

My 08 has 140,000 miles.. Not a problem with my MR shocks... Suspension is great... Great car...
jarburtha (04-08-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by jarburtha

Driver side front shock

driver side front shock
Very suspect on the leak locations, since the shocks if leaking, the fluid run marks would be on the inner and back side. Hence gravity will have the leak at the lowest spot on the top flat of the shock valve body (back since the shock is mounted at an angle), and the brake duct throw the front fender cover would be pushing the fluid to the back isntead.

Hence staining looks like someone wiped the shock down with a oil rag to make the shook look like it was leaking isntead.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Dano523
Very suspect on the leak locations, since the shocks if leaking, the fluid run marks would be on the inner and back side. Hence gravity will have the leak at the lowest spot on the top flat of the shock valve body (back since the shock is mounted at an angle), and the brake duct throw the front fender cover would be pushing the fluid to the back isntead.

Hence staining looks like someone wiped the shock down with a oil rag to make the shook look like it was leaking isntead.
Good call with the gravity diagnosis Dano.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dont go back to that dealer,find one that takes care of you in the right way, talk until you are tired, if they are upright you will know it,
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Yokesc5
Don't go back to that dealer - - -
Agreed. A dealer who tries to cheat you once can never be trusted.

The chances of one mag shock going bad on a 2012 are fairly small. The chances of all four going are extremely small. Back in the day when gas stations had an attendant to pump the gas, clean the windshield, and "check under the hood", a common scam was to squirt a little oil on a shock and then claim to have discovered a dangerous problem. Apparently the scam continues.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

My dealer tried the same thing on me. 25K on my 2013. I took it in for a front end alignment and the low beam headlight recall. I get a call your front shocks are bad and we will not align the car until you put new shocks on.

So I asked were they leaking, well not really. So I said how did you determine they are bad. I pushed on the car and it bounced. Really.

I said no! I knew there was no leak I had just pulled all the wheels for a clean and wax and I then clean the suspension parts.

I got out the 4 volumes of the shop manual. I did the test that the GM book says to do. My car did not fail one of those tests.

The young punk mechanic thought he had an stupid old man, it did not work!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
norton1090
Heel & Toe

I am going to stick up for all those "crooked techs and dealers" for one second.

Most dealerships see less than 5 corvettes a quarter if they are lucky, especially the smaller stores.

Most are not trying to screw you, unfortunately they just don't know.

Be honest with yourself, if you were looking at those shocks while doing an oil change or recall and you saw 2 vettes a year wouldn't you think those shocks looked suspect?

And if they don't say anything and then you take it to where ever you normally take it for everything but the free **** and that guy says hey your shocks are leaking.
Then you come back screaming at the dealer about why didn't you tell me my shocks are leaking.
So the dealer defaults to CYA mode.

It's unfortunate they need to be better educated, but most dealerships aren't trying to screw you.

Obvioulsy there are exceptions to this and a "big Corvette dealership" better know the difference.

ETA:
If you go back to a dealer asking them about the bulletin and they still want to replace them and say no, no they are leaking then I would agree, find a new dealer.

Last edited by norton1090; 04-16-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: ETA:
Hedon (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:49 PM
msledge50
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Shocks

Originally Posted by Jim2003
My dealer tried the same thing on me. 25K on my 2013. I took it in for a front end alignment and the low beam headlight recall. I get a call your front shocks are bad and we will not align the car until you put new shocks on.

So I asked were they leaking, well not really. So I said how did you determine they are bad. I pushed on the car and it bounced. Really.

I said no! I knew there was no leak I had just pulled all the wheels for a clean and wax and I then clean the suspension parts.

I got out the 4 volumes of the shop manual. I did the test that the GM book says to do. My car did not fail one of those tests.

The young punk mechanic thought he had an stupid old man, it did not work!
What was the test that you did. Thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 09:17 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by norton1090
Be honest with yourself, if you were looking at those shocks while doing an oil change or recall and you saw 2 vettes a year wouldn't you think those shocks looked suspect?
Great argument, except it's flawed as many GM vehicles have the Magride suspension. The local dealer tried to pull the same crap on my father's 20k mile Tahoe. Anther dead giveaway is maybe one shock could go bad at 20k miles, but not all four.

Get notified of new replies

To shocks

Quick Reply: shocks