C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery CCA question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery CCA question

Was visiting Corvette Mike New England last Saturdayin my 05' coupe when my original 6-year old battery died. Mechanic there said I needed a new battery so they sold me an interstate battery rated at 525 CCA. Problem was the battery wasn't fully charged before they installed it. Car started fine and then drove the car another hour home. Well, I had the feeling the car wouldn't start after almost a week, (today), and it didn't. Battery tested out at 7 volts. Called Interstate and they told me the car calls for a battery rated at 590 CCA, not the 525 CCA battery that Corvette Mike sold me. Interstate suggested I get the next model up. (they won't give me an exchange because it's the wrong battery). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 05-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Was visiting Corvette Mike New England last Saturday when my original 6-year old battery died. Mechanic there said I needed a new battery so they sold me an interstate battery rated at 525 CCA. Problem was the battery wasn't fully charged before they installed it. Car started fine and then drove the car another hour home. Well, I had the feeling the car wouldn't start after almost a week, (today), and it didn't. Battery tested out at 7 volts. Called Interstate and they told me the car calls for a battery rated at 590 CCA, not the 525 CCA battery that Corvette Mike sold me. Interstate suggested I get the next model up. (they won't give me an exchange because it's the wrong battery). Any thoughts?
Lets think about this. The new battery wasn't fully charged so it probably didn't produce the 525 amps it was rated for but still started the car. In the hour to get home the battery should have been fully charged. In a week it shouldn't have dropped down far enough to fail to start the car. Normal draw when sitting is in the milliamp range. I suspect you may have another issue that caused the battery to discharge.

As for complaining about the battery not being correct I would take that up with Corvette Mike. They installed the wrong battery and they should help you out in some manner or other.

By the way, here is the description of Cold Cranking Amps:
Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Already taken up with Corvette Mike. Stock answer, "we've sold a bunch of these with no problems".
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the battery out and slowly charge it overnight. Then reinstall it and make see what happens. I always use a battery of greater CCA just for the added insurance.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

What test can I perform to make sure it's ONLY a battery problem and not a charging problem?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

What test can I perform to make sure it's ONLY a battery problem and not a charging problem?
If you went six years on the original battery I doubt you have a problem with the C6. It sounds like a bad battery. Make sure the cables are connected correctly and tight. Take it to Auto zone or other parts store and get a load test. If the battery is bad Inter-State should replace it.

Just for comparison my Optima RED top battery has 720 cold cranking amps.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VET4LES
If you went six years on the original battery I doubt you have a problem with the C6. It sounds like a bad battery. Make sure the cables are connected correctly and tight. Take it to Auto zone or other parts store and get a load test. If the battery is bad Inter-State should replace it.

Just for comparison my Optima RED top battery has 720 cold cranking amps.
Thanx for the info. It did test out at 6-7 volts after I cranked it and it wouldn't start. If I install the better Interstate battery, (590 CCA) the total cost installed will be about $220. Bend over.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Corvette Mike sounds like a great place to do business. They sell a product and will not back it up.

I would call Interstate and explain your problem. Maybe they can do something for you

In the future, I would stay clear of Corvette Mike.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanx for the info. It did test out at 6-7 volts after I cranked it and it wouldn't start. If I install the better Interstate battery, (590 CCA) the total cost installed will be about $220. Bend over.
My Optima is four years old and I paid $150 at Cosco. Your test just shows it not fully charged. You need a load test to prove it's good or bad. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Corvette Mike sounds like a great place to do business. They sell a product and will not back it up.

I would call Interstate and explain your problem. Maybe they can do something for you

In the future, I would stay clear of Corvette Mike.
My options now are exchanging the battery for the same model at a local authorized Interstate battery store (only 10 minutes away) or get full credit for what I have and spend another 60 bucks for the next model up rated at 590 CCA. Either way, it's alot of money for a battery.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

It doesn't hurt to get the battery load tested or to check the alternator but I would also check to see what else is happening. The ambient air conditions aren't cold, the battery even lower rated than recommended should have enough zip to start the engine. It is either a bad battery (not unknown to happen with a new battery) or the car is drawing too much current when shutoff.

I suspect the Corvette Mike people are correct that they have sold a lot of batteries like this with no issues. Most Vettes don't get used in cold weather and that is when an issue would show up. I doubt your car has more than a 400 amp surge current when starting which should be easily supplied by the battery you have.

Bill
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It doesn't hurt to get the battery load tested or to check the alternator but I would also check to see what else is happening. The ambient air conditions aren't cold, the battery even lower rated than recommended should have enough zip to start the engine. It is either a bad battery (not unknown to happen with a new battery) or the car is drawing too much current when shutoff.

I suspect the Corvette Mike people are correct that they have sold a lot of batteries like this with no issues. Most Vettes don't get used in cold weather and that is when an issue would show up. I doubt your car has more than a 400 amp surge current when starting which should be easily supplied by the battery you have.

Bill
Thanx for the info.Ran out and got a $75 Wal-Mart battery rated at 650CCA and everything is fine. The local Interstate Battery dealer won't give me an even exchange but will give me full credit towards the next model up which is called for for this application. Thats another 60 bucks making the grand total $220 installed. I was in a bind so I had no choice. I just want my money back. I jumped the original Interstate battery yesterday, ran the car for about a half-hour. Then car wouldn't start 20 minutes later.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think with only 7 volts, about half the cells are just dead. Its not the CCA rating...its dead cells. Sounds like to me, it is simply a defective battery. A new 525 CCA battery should start the car fine.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mez
I think with only 7 volts, about half the cells are just dead. Its not the CCA rating...its dead cells. Sounds like to me, it is simply a defective battery. A new 525 CCA battery should start the car fine.
Your probably right but will a 525 CCA be as dependable in cold weather as the stock 590 battery and last as long?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Your probably right but will a 525 CCA be as dependable in cold weather as the stock 590 battery and last as long?
Maybe not if you leave the car out in subzero weather and then attempt to start it. Car will take more starting current as it is harder to turn over when cold and the battery will chemical reaction will be slower in the cold. If all you do is leave your somewhat cold garage for a short drive with some intermediate stops of 15 mins or so it probably wouldn't matter.

Since your battery turned out to have a physical problem you might want to check the alternator to make sure it didn't cook the battery by overcharging it or your new battery might be toast as well.

When doing diagnostics the assumption is that if you have multiple symptoms or issues there is usually only one cause. The probability of two or more causes (like two bad batteries in a row) is much less likely.

Bill
Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 PM
orripid
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously if u would of stopped bitching and just bought your own red top battery and installed it yourself u wouldn't be crying. This is what happens when people are to lazy to install there own battery but go online and cry about it. I know this post is old but this is for new people that come across posts like this
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Was visiting Corvette Mike New England last Saturdayin my 05' coupe when my original 6-year old battery died. Mechanic there said I needed a new battery so they sold me an interstate battery rated at 525 CCA. Problem was the battery wasn't fully charged before they installed it. Car started fine and then drove the car another hour home. Well, I had the feeling the car wouldn't start after almost a week, (today), and it didn't. Battery tested out at 7 volts. Called Interstate and they told me the car calls for a battery rated at 590 CCA, not the 525 CCA battery that Corvette Mike sold me. Interstate suggested I get the next model up. (they won't give me an exchange because it's the wrong battery). Any thoughts?
What was the born on date on the battery?? Could of been out of date when they installed it.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

CCA's were more important back in the days of carburetors, when engines often had to crank for a while before starting. These days an engine will start quickly (or not at all), reducing the need for a lot of CCA's.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery CCA question

Quick Reply: Battery CCA question