Clutch Question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Withnasty
CF Member

Default Clutch Question

09 Z51 M6 25k miles headers back, intake, and tsp stage 3 cam. Ive been having clutch issues for a while, slips in 3rd or higher above 4k rpm and/or when shifting hard. bled the clutch a few times as the fluid gets filthy really quickly and itll grab for a while after a fluid change. ive pretty much settled on just replacing with a monster lt1s with the billet support bearing and a new slave. my question is, and this might be indicative of further issues, but i've tried to practice launching a few times and with the clutch pedal in when i rev the car it pulls the pedal down and it wont release/engage. Im assuming as the car builds vacuum its doing something to the master cylinder?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 PM
phils C5 vette
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

your making more HP than the stock clutch can handle.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 04-18-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Withnasty
CF Member

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette View Post
your making more HP than the stock clutch can handle.
it only makes slightly more than a stock z06. i was under the impression the clutch was the same as a z.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 PM
jaybee924
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Withnasty View Post
it only makes slightly more than a stock z06. i was under the impression the clutch was the same as a z.
How much did your car make at the rear wheels? Over 505 at the rear wheels maybe?

There's a big difference in what you make in rear wheel horsepower vs. crank horsepower.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Withnasty
CF Member

Originally Posted by jaybee924 View Post
How much did your car make at the rear wheels? Over 505 at the rear wheels maybe?

There's a big difference in what you make in rear wheel horsepower vs. crank horsepower.
It made 480 to the wheels so even on the conservative side, thats only 550ish to the fywheel
Old 04-20-2018, 02:06 AM
jaybee924
CF Senior Member

It made 480 to the wheels so even on the conservative side, thats only 550ish to the fywheel
You may have a one of the older master cylinders that were prone to have engagement/disengagement issues. I think GM put a revised one out that around in the 2011/2012 C6 from what I've read over time. It has DOT4 on top of the cap. I could be wrong on that. Look up clutch stuck to the floor or Master cylinder and that may can help you out.

You also have to remember that yes that's a little bit more power than the Z06 but your are starting to beat on it which will shorten the life of it but if you an get a different master cylinder GM/maybe Tick it may help or the damage may already be done.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Mike's LS3
CF Senior Member

The LS3/7 share the same clutch and with 480 rwhp it has more room to grow.

I would take the least expensive approach and replace the clutch master cylinder and add a clutch bleeder. Flush with D0T 4 and see if there is any improvement. The new clutch master cylinder design has improved seals and a black reservoir vs. white on the old one. I had the clutch master cylinder covered under service bulletin warranty, you still might be under warranty.

If that doesn't work, then replace the clutch.

25k on a clutch is low mileage, unless it was abused.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 04-20-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Ahrmike
CF Senior Member

09 Z51 M6 25k miles headers back, intake, and tsp stage 3 cam. Ive been having clutch issues for a while, slips in 3rd or higher above 4k rpm and/or when shifting hard. bled the clutch a few times as the fluid gets filthy really quickly and itll grab for a while after a fluid change. ive pretty much settled on just replacing with a monster lt1s with the billet support bearing and a new slave. my question is, and this might be indicative of further issues, but i've tried to practice launching a few times and with the clutch pedal in when i rev the car it pulls the pedal down and it wont release/engage. Im assuming as the car builds vacuum its doing something to the master cylinder?
If the fluid is getting nasty really quickly, you have a LOT of accumulated clutch dust on the slave side. I had to do the reservoir flush every weekend for almost 3 months before it started getting clean. You may want to try that before doing anything major.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: