C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of 60' times can you squeeze out of an R888R tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What kind of 60' times can you squeeze out of an R888R tire?

Like the title says... I'm curious to see what folks have been able to get. I know it's not a drag tire, I know they are built for cornering. That's why I want to get a set. I have 0 interest in running a drag tire on my car. Just curious what I may be able to get out of these vs something like the MSPSS
Old 05-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
Like the title says... I'm curious to see what folks have been able to get. I know it's not a drag tire, I know they are built for cornering. That's why I want to get a set. I have 0 interest in running a drag tire on my car. Just curious what I may be able to get out of these vs something like the MSPSS
R888r tire is mixed blessings.

The don't have the heat problems as the Cup2's shedding thread ,but with the deep scalping, it does sound like you are over driving the car on the track every corner instead.

Worst yet, the scalping if very, very deep on the R888's, so once you do get down to the bottom of the scalping, the tire is cooked. With the Cup 2's, you have plenty of tread left after you have worn down past the grooves isntead. As for the MPSS tires, disconnected tire, and it's the MPS2's the replacement tire for it instead.

As for 60's times, all depends of the how well the track is prep's, the car, and the driver behind the wheel (to get the car out off the hole to begin with). Hence Cup 2 will have more grip than a R888R, and R888R will have more grip than a MPS2 instead. Where the MPS2 shines over the other two tires, is when you have to drive the car and the road is wet isntead.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dano523
R888r tire is mixed blessings.

The don't have the heat problems as the Cup2's shedding thread ,but with the deep scalping, it does sound like you are over driving the car on the track every corner instead.

Worst yet, the scalping if very, very deep on the R888's, so once you do get down to the bottom of the scalping, the tire is cooked. With the Cup 2's, you have plenty of tread left after you have worn down past the grooves isntead. As for the MPSS tires, disconnected tire, and it's the MPS2's the replacement tire for it instead.

As for 60's times, all depends of the how well the track is prep's, the car, and the driver behind the wheel (to get the car out off the hole to begin with). Hence Cup 2 will have more grip than a R888R, and R888R will have more grip than a MPS2 instead. Where the MPS2 shines over the other two tires, is when you have to drive the car and the road is wet isntead.
I get what the tires do and that the pilot series is a different class of tire all together. I’m just trying to set a point of reference in terms of straight line traction. We all know that the other two demolish it in the corners, but we don’t hear a lot about what the straight line traction is like for these tires. Best u can tell, it’s just a hair better.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

There is a lot of variables in an equation like this. For instance what size rear tires do you even have?

But I can tell you that I've had Michelin pilot super sports and I now have R888r's and they're not even on the same planet as far as traction goes.

I currently have a road racing alignment but was considering taking my car to the quartermile track just for fun. I'm curious how much of a difference I would get with a proper Drag Racing alignment?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Yep, for road course use, it all about the stiffness of the side wall so you don't get side wall roll on cornering, and then the gooeyness of the rubber.
Very bad side wall roll,

On strip tires, it still about the gooeyness of the rubber, but more so about the side wall being soft/plyable, so it can slightly wrinkle on launch to hold it grip to the ground on launch instead.

So on the R888r, your not going to get side wall wrinkling since the side wall is designed for just the oppiste, which means slightly slower out of the hole, then it's a matter of how well it going to hold once your out of the hole and in the groove as the tire starts to balloon up instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-13-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The biggest reason you can't find 60' times on R888R tires, is that no knowledgeable racer would bother to run them. I doubt you'd find too many road racers running DR's either.

Use specific tires for the task. Anything less is a compromise with poorer performance.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The biggest reason you can't find 60' times on R888R tires, is that no knowledgeable racer would bother to run them. I doubt you'd find too many road racers running DR's either.

Use specific tires for the task. Anything less is a compromise with poorer performance.
right right. I am in the same boat as the fella that posted a few back. I am a back road/road course guy, but I'd love to take it to the strip one weekend and see what I could run, without having to drop a grand on a drag pack just for one time at the strip. I don't necessarily want or need to launch hard either, as I'm not trying to tear up an axle. I want a decent launch, with maybe a 1.6-1.7 60' and then I'm more interested in seeing what my trap speed might be than anything else. My hope is 10.9 at 130 mph, although I may well fall short of this since I'm not willing to go bigger on the cam, or put drag tires on the car.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

right right. I am in the same boat as the fella that posted a few back. I am a back road/road course guy, but I'd love to take it to the strip one weekend and see what I could run, without having to drop a grand on a drag pack just for one time at the strip. I don't necessarily want or need to launch hard either, as I'm not trying to tear up an axle. I want a decent launch, with maybe a 1.6-1.7 60' and then I'm more interested in seeing what my trap speed might be than anything else. My hope is 10.9 at 130 mph, although I may well fall short of this since I'm not willing to go bigger on the cam, or put drag tires on the car.
I don't know your location (no profile), but around here, racers will loan someone DR's to do one time tests and even go to the track to help them make the best launches. You might try that. It never hurts to at least ask.

If you find someone to do a loan, try to use your road course tires for a couple passes and then swap to the DR's. The difference is something you can advise others on what to expect from tire types.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 05-14-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I don't know your location (no profile), but around here, racers will loan someone DR's to do one time tests and even go to the track to help them make the best launches. You might try that. It never hurts to at least ask.

If you find someone to do a loan, try to use your road course tires for a couple passes and then swap to the DR's. The difference is something you can advise others on what to expect from tire types.
I'm right in the middle of maryland. Frederick. I may do that, but I still may not. Again, part of the reason is that I don't want to tear up axles and such. Been there and done that, and not terribly interested in doing it again, although who knows what itch I might need to scratch down the line. I think with a decently grippy tire, I can still attain a telling trap speed, since they aren't usually as dependent on a stellar launch/60'. I'm really hoping I can hit 130mph.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

anyone else run these at the strip? Again, not looking to set records, just trying to get an objective idea of added straight line traction going from an MPSS to something like these.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:50 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't let these guys scare you off. Just to see how fast you trap the R888's will be perfect.
R888's have been incredibly popular for fast street cars on the street. I had great luck with them in my swapped rx7, 2800 pounds 475whp 4.10 gears and a T56.

I cut a 1.8 sixty and ran 11.40@130 mph in 100% street trim.

I also managed to cut a 1.76 with RE71r's, but they required a lot of clutch slip and were on a razor edge of spinning. I don't like the RE71r's as much as the R comp for my car. I'm either going to a Maxxis, R888R or NT01 next time around.

I definitely could have gone faster with the R888's if I slipped the clutch more and launched at a higher rpm. I just drove off the line at 2000 rpm and they held 1st gear with no spin.

The second video here is with the RE71r's. My run before this was 11.18 with a 1.76 sixty. This one I got too greedy and the tire couldn't hold.

Last edited by ls404fd; 05-22-2018 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigwebb (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls404fd
Don't let these guys scare you off. Just to see how fast you trap the R888's will be perfect.
R888's have been incredibly popular for fast street cars on the street. I had great luck with them in my swapped rx7, 2800 pounds 475whp 4.10 gears and a T56.

I also managed to cut a 1.76 with RE71r's, but they required a lot of clutch slip and were on a razor edge of spinning. I don't like the RE71r's as much as the R comp for my car. I'm either going to a Maxxis, R888R or NT01 next time around.

I definitely could have gone faster with the R888's if I slipped the clutch more and launched at a higher rpm. I just drove off the line at 2000 rpm and they held 1st gear with no spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvUPkt25IEg

The second video here is with the RE71r's. My run before this was 11.18 with a 1.76 sixty. This one I got too greedy and the tire couldn't hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2k8Yq2NO4k

we're on the same page. Thanks so much for your input.

Daniel
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by ls404fd

Not downplaying what you did, but the OP was concerned with the launch, not the trap speed.

As a comparison, my 3200#, 394whp, LS3, A6, 2.56 gear, Vette ran a 1.74 60' and 11.44 @ 124 with just Nitto Invos on a so-so prepped track right off the street, while vacationing in FL.
The following users liked this post:
Bigwebb (05-22-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:12 PM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

A R888R really isn't made for drag racing performance. Like others have mentioned there is much better options out there.
Some people consider the R888 series to be a drag radial but it really is not. Something like a NT05R or NT55R is designed as a drag radial, but still has good street characteristics.

Most of these high performance tires will outperform a traditional street tire either way.

Last edited by WestCyril; 05-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Again, not really looking to launch the car hard at a drag strip on a regular basis. More just trying to get a feel for the straight line traction improvement over street tires. My thought is, if they will cut a significantly better 60' at the track, they should help me better hold the power on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of 60' times can you squeeze out of an R888R tire?

Quick Reply: What kind of 60' times can you squeeze out of an R888R tire?