C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Head Cam Swap - Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
A couple of questions about cooling.

First, GPI offers a heat shield deal on the bottom of your intake manifold that supposedly helps with heat soak around the intake air. Anyone have experience with this? Is it something worth doing? I could definitley see where it might knock a few degrees off IAT's.

Second, what do you guys think about the z51 > z06 oil cooler upgrade? I already have a z06 oil cooler laying around. Just wondering if I should sell it or install it.

Third, 160 degree t stat? Alot of people argue about these, but I see the value. It should definitely keep your AVERAGE temp for a 30 minute hpde session down. I'm not going to be running any endurance races, so I feel like this could be valuable for me.

Fourth, anyone have experience with upgraded radiator or fans? Is this overkill for my application? I realize I'm not going to be overheating with this setup and my use case, but I'd really like to minimize heat while running hard, to prevent the PCM from pulling too much timing due to IAT's.

Any other cooling suggestions?

Daniel
I added a Dewitts radiator to my last supercharged C6. With a 160 degree stat and more aggressive fan settings, I think it ran too cool. If it was moving at all, temps wouldn't get over 180 in hot weather. You could even park it, idling, with the a/c blowing cold, in 95 degree heat, and it wouldn't get much, if any, over 200 degrees.

On a cool day, temps wouldn't get over 170-175. That's too cool in my book. I'll probably do a 180 or 185 stat on my current Vette. It won't have a supercharger's heat exchanger ahead of the radiator so I'm thinking the stock rad will be fine. If I did much roundy round racing, I'd upgrade the rad though.

Last edited by old motorhead; 06-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 PM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

at this point I'm talking about the difference between morel and johhnson lifters......
My bad......I thought that you were comparing Johnsons (or any aftermarket) to OEMs.....

That said, I have a set of damn near new Morels that I won't be using. If interested, PM me you email for pictures.

KW
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I could see the 160 thermostat possibly useful for roadracing for the reasons you listed.

i would get a dewitts as well. They cool a lot better than stock and fit great.

If someone’s car stays at their thermostat rating then they don’t need more cooling. But if it gets warm (and road racing sure could do that) you’ll want to get one. And, unlike other vehicles, I found that the c6 radiator and fan is a royal pain to remove so I decided to upgrade to a Dewitt’s while mine was out for a cam.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
I could see the 160 thermostat possibly useful for roadracing for the reasons you listed.

i would get a dewitts as well. They cool a lot better than stock and fit great.

If someone’s car stays at their thermostat rating then they don’t need more cooling. But if it gets warm (and road racing sure could do that) you’ll want to get one. And, unlike other vehicles, I found that the c6 radiator and fan is a royal pain to remove so I decided to upgrade to a Dewitt’s while mine was out for a cam.

Is the dewitts lighter? And does it combine the engine and oil cooling into a single unit?

Daniel
Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Is the dewitts lighter? And does it combine the engine and oil cooling into a single unit?

Daniel
It might be slightly heavier. Emphasis on slightly. You can get them with one, two, or no oil coolers. On my GSport, I eliminated the air/oil cooler that came with my dry sump GS. Goal was to eliminate another heat source in front of the radiator. I used the Dewitt's internal engine oil cooler and Z51 oil lines to make it a bolt in affair.

I liked it because of the above reason and also, my engine oil got to operating temp quicker in cold weather. I never road raced that Vette, so have no idea how effective the internal cooler on the Dewitts was compared to the stock air/oil cooler. If you wanted even more engine oil cooling, you could run both of them in series.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Exactly. You can get it in any configuration you want, including an exact stock replacement.

The weight is comparable although that is just by feel and not trying to compare them. The coolant capacity is enlarged though so you have more weight in fluid but it is a no brained tradeoff for more cooling (for me!)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
Exactly. You can get it in any configuration you want, including an exact stock replacement.

The weight is comparable although that is just by feel and not trying to compare them. The coolant capacity is enlarged though so you have more weight in fluid but it is a no brained tradeoff for more cooling (for me!)

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:46 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Get a Powerbond HB over ATI. Both great choices, and one is half the price. Also, why go 10% underdrive?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by theandrewo
Get a Powerbond HB over ATI. Both great choices, and one is half the price. Also, why go 10% underdrive?

i ended up getting the ati for bear the same price through waiting on just the right Ebay coupon. Sounds lame but it’s true. I went 10% because ive seen enough from people who I believe know what they’re talking about to think that a.) 25% May cause voltage issues, and more importantly b.) I’ve been told that it’s mathematically provable that the 25% does not have enough mass to perform the balancing/dampening job.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

i ended up getting the ati for bear the same price through waiting on just the right Ebay coupon. Sounds lame but it’s true. I went 10% because ive seen enough from people who I believe know what they’re talking about to think that a.) 25% May cause voltage issues, and more importantly b.) I’ve been told that it’s mathematically provable that the 25% does not have enough mass to perform the balancing/dampening job.
I see I'm not the only one that picked up the ATI 10%UD when they had 15% off anything coupon. LoL Got it for $370 and some change. He He
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

What does this do? I've seen where some guys do it and others don't, but not exactly sure what it does. Is it just a safety measure to make sure the HB doesn't fall off?
Sorry, not on here much these days. If it already hasn't been answered, it helps the HB from overspinning. Probably wont do much for your current setup, but its more or less cheap insurance in case you end up putting a blower on the car. It's one of those things that since you are already in there doing the work, might as well take an extra step just in case.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaybee924
I see I'm not the only one that picked up the ATI 10%UD when they had 15% off anything coupon. LoL Got it for $370 and some change. He He
yeah i think i lucked out and grabbed it on a 20% coupon from the summit ebay store. Those coupons are no joke. now if only someone on ebay would sell johnson lifters.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Picked up a rod length checker. I saw a trick flow youtube video, and the tech was using an angled torque wrench on the head bolts. Anyone know where I could pick one up for a decent price?

Daniel
Old 08-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

am I going to need upgraded fuel pump and injectors? The experts that I talk to all agree that I'm on the fence with this setup, but some say I'll be fine while other say I need to replace injectors, while others say I need to replace both injectors and fuel pump
Old 08-03-2018, 11:43 AM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

where you at with this project are you doing the work? I am about to send my stock ls3 heads to texas speed for cnc port job
what you plan on compression? I am thinking of milling heads .30 and .40 head gaskets that should be over 11:1
I plan to keep the stock injectors and fuel pump should be fine with no power adder.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Put the cam in and measure ptv first. Not a lot of room in there.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

am I going to need upgraded fuel pump and injectors?...….
My 1995 Impala with a heads/cam LS3 is now putting down just short of 500hp to the wheels with stock injectors and a Walbro 255 lb/hr pump. I had to upgrade the pump because the OEM B-body pumps can't feed a LS3.

My 2014 SS with a stroker LS3 puts out 550hp to the wheels with the stock fuel pump.

So......you can pony up the $$$$ for a pump and injectors, but I can't see that as being necessary.

KW
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

And if you have a shop doing the work I be labor to install a fuel pump will cost more then the heads/cam swap, lol
I wouldn't even bother upgrading the radiato unless you plan on a blower. thermostat, and tune the fans to come on sooner it will run cooler
Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

thanks for the responses guys.

Daniel

Quick Reply: LS3 Head Cam Swap - Parts List