C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Only LS2 Disappointing 1/4 Time (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Cam Only LS2 Disappointing 1/4 Time (Video inside)

Decided to finally take my 05 M6 to the track yesterday. On the way up I was telling my buddy that I will be “pissed if I don’t run at least a high 11.” I launched insanely soft due to not wanting to grenade my rear end which resulted in a 13.10@113mph with a 2.4 60’ time 😔 I should have wished for 12s instead haha. Only got one chance to run as it looked like it was about to rain.

Im used to drag racing with a stalled A4 so a M6 is a little different. So, with my MPH I think the car is good for 11s, I just have to work on my 60’, correct?
Mods: BTR Stage 3 Cam, TSP LTs, OR X pipe, Vararam, and tune.

Feel free to critique my run. I know the launch was bad, but was shifting too slow as well? Thanks guys!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:04 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hard to tell on shifts for me. Interior video would help. But if this was first run on strip he glad you put down a 13. Now you get to work it down with skill. Coming from road racing, in the beginning I would drop half seconds off my laps, so fun. Years later you fight for .05. I get the worry about 05, I have one too. But for every exploded diff there is a slew of people 100+ drag passes, zero failures. If your not on slicks it’s even less a problem on track. Looked like fun though, keep at it.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:41 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Your 1/8th mile time converts to a 13.73 quarter mile. Incredibly soft launch
Old 06-09-2018, 01:22 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yo, let me race you. :-DDDD. Kidding ya. That launch was really really slow. Car really starts winding out near the end of the quarter and the reason you need to have a good launch. Actually, 13 seconds for your first time out on the drag strip is pretty good. A stock vette should be in the high 12s if launched right. I betcha if you launch that car properly, you can get in the upper 11s.

Last edited by JimiHendrix; 06-09-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:13 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
Hard to tell on shifts for me. Interior video would help. But if this was first run on strip he glad you put down a 13. Now you get to work it down with skill. Coming from road racing, in the beginning I would drop half seconds off my laps, so fun. Years later you fight for .05. I get the worry about 05, I have one too. But for every exploded diff there is a slew of people 100+ drag passes, zero failures. If your not on slicks it’s even less a problem on track. Looked like fun though, keep at it.
It's usually the automatic guys that don't have issues. The 05 manual diff can go many ways, wheel hop or initial shock of a hard launch with really good traction. When the tires are spinning the load is a lot easier. Mine ate itself years ago with basically no shock of any kind. Problem is you never know when any initial damage is done and one day you get the surprise out of nowhere.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Stock LS2 intake manifold?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Yes, stock manifold.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:36 AM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REDSEE5
Decided to finally take my 05 M6 to the track yesterday. On the way up I was telling my buddy that I will be “pissed if I don’t run at least a high 11.” I launched insanely soft due to not wanting to grenade my rear end which resulted in a 13.10@113mph with a 2.4 60’ time 😔 I should have wished for 12s instead haha. Only got one chance to run as it looked like it was about to rain.

Im used to drag racing with a stalled A4 so a M6 is a little different. So, with my MPH I think the car is good for 11s, I just have to work on my 60’, correct?
Mods: BTR Stage 3 Cam, TSP LTs, OR X pipe, Vararam, and tune.

Feel free to critique my run. I know the launch was bad, but was shifting too slow as well? Thanks guys!

https://youtu.be/mtJOEF0nx1w
Didnt know if you were still looking for some light on the topic but your MPH is Definetly there. If you’re looking for the cheap way to hit 11’s then I think the car has the power and seat time is the deciding factor. One thing I noticed that helped me shave my 60ft from 2.44 down to 2.09 ( I know that’s slow but I was bone stock with over inflated run craps) is instead of revving up the car at the start and coming off the clutch, try to focus a little more on holding a steady rpm and slipping the clutch. If it hooks, try another 200 rpms higher on your next launch, if not, take the rpms down or slip a tad more.

Now if you want the short cut way and even better times, make an investment in some tires. Some quick time pros or et street r’s would be great for your setup and dropped to around 16 psi, it’ll allow you to launch harder and keep your rpms up off the start. Your car with the average driver should be pulling 1.75-1.85 60fts not problem.

Lastly, your shift points sounded like they were at the right time but could be slighttllyyyy faster. Once again, seat time and you can forsure shave some time by practicing faster shifts. A good shortcut (that I took also) is buy a Hinson short shifter. Less of a throw for the shifter means faster time from gear to gear. Mines a little... notchy... but I like it. You know it’s in gear, it’s a short throw, and it damn near shifts itself from 2nd to 3rd so then it’s just a matter of how fast can you push it.

Last edited by C6_Crackerman; 12-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on slipping. As it starts to engage quickly slip it more throttle so its not bogging down, it will take practice to get there.
Id work on that before worrying about powershifting...in fact I dont go there at all, not much gain to be had and high risk of breaking something.
A set of M/T will help you plenty. Start at std pressure what you run every day, work your way down from there. Main thing is having fun .

Getting your 60 down you could easily knock a second off there without getting nuts. As said a low 13 aint bad at all your first time out.
Even with an auto I was a half second slower than I shoulda been just getting to learn how to leave.

Kinda makes you chuckle when owners claiming a time due to their dyno sheet/reading posts that have never been down the track. lol
Good example of slipping

Last edited by cv67; 12-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:25 PM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
x2 on slipping. As it starts to engage quickly slip it more throttle so its not bogging down, it will take practice to get there.
Id work on that before worrying about powershifting...in fact I dont go there at all, not much gain to be had and high risk of breaking something.
A set of M/T will help you plenty. Start at std pressure what you run every day, work your way down from there. Main thing is having fun .

Getting your 60 down you could easily knock a second off there without getting nuts. As said a low 13 aint bad at all your first time out.
Even with an auto I was a half second slower than I shoulda been just getting to learn how to leave.

Kinda makes you chuckle when owners claiming a time due to their dyno sheet/reading posts that have never been down the track. lol
Good example of slipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkNtSXFh1o4

agreed. There’s plenty of techniques to launching, just need to figure out what works best for you and what your car likes. I also don’t powershift, yes it can shave slightly more time but in my opinion not worth the risk. I’ve blown up transmissions, sheered cam gears and Grenaded oil pumps because of missing a gear trying to powershift. The last thing you want to do is mess up and blow a tranny or grenade a diff off the start. Take your time learning your car otherwise you’ll spend most of your time fixing parts. If you fee wheel hop, let out. Our cars are also known for axles being very weak
Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 AM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Getting the 60' down is essential, but as far as mods your leaving a lot on the table with the stock intake, if you can't aford the aftermarket intakes, port your stock one, I ported my stock intake and added a vararam and noticed a definite increase in power.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 AM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by demon340
Getting the 60' down is essential, but as far as mods your leaving a lot on the table with the stock intake, if you can't aford the aftermarket intakes, port your stock one, I ported my stock intake and added a vararam and noticed a definite increase in power.

not trying to hi-jack the the thread here but do you know the major difference between a Vararam oppose to any other intake? I saw the design on The Vararam makes it like ram air intake utilizing the front bumper to direct air straight to the intake but I have a lingenfelter that I picked up for $100. Is it worth the extra money? Because in front of our radiators is a shroud that directs the air upwards into the intake anyways. But I noticed everybody and their mothers have a Vararam I also found somebody selling a VERY nice intake called the hurricane which is a full carbon fiber shroud. I’d like to switch to that since mine is kind of flimsy but it’s also for an ls3 and didn’t know if it’d make a difference or work or not.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:30 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Put a decent tire on it and launch the car. Only realistic way your going to drop the 60 foot to get the et down. Personally at the track I tend to intentionally not launch the car and just roll out so i can get a trap speed to judge the power the car is making. This summer I found that when I did launch the car it would pick up some mph also.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:50 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Not too shabby I think

I agree with everyone else. you just need better launching. Also your 114 MPH seems to indicate that you have a bit more power over a stock base C6. If you put headers, an intake,and a tune, the engine will pull a little harder up top and you possibly break into the lower 11's or upper 10's. If you have a limited budget, I would take it slow.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:06 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
I agree with everyone else. you just need better launching. Also your 114 MPH seems to indicate that you have a bit more power over a stock base C6. If you put headers, an intake,and a tune, the engine will pull a little harder up top and you possibly break into the lower 11's or upper 10's. If you have a limited budget, I would take it slow.
The original post indicated that he does have an intake, long tubes and a tune.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions......Sorry it took me a while to reply, busy moving and whatnot. I ended up running it again at a different track and ran a 12.6@116mph with a 2.2 60' time. Id for sure say this car has 11's in it with that 60' time being so terrible and still running a 12.6.

So, I have been down the 1/4 hundreds of times (mainly with a stalled a4 and a few M6 cars.) I know the 60' is key to a good time. However, my C6 is an 05 and I'm deathly afraid of blowing the differential. I would love to throw some MT DRs on this bad girl and launch it at 3K RPM.

c6_crackerman, most guys running intakes on C6s prefer the ram air effect of the Vararam. Not sure if it is that much different than any other intake, though.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Kind of relooking this you have a cam, headers, x pipe, and a vararam with a tune.... I think even with the 2.2 60' you should be running quicker than 12.60. Are you running with the nannys off? What rpm do you shift at? Bone stock they are around 12.60's at around 112 to 115 mph. Can the intake really be holding back the cam and headers that much?? You may want to go to a dyno to see what's going on but before I would spend the money on the dyno at least port the stock intake.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

The LS2 has the worst intake manifold of the LS series. A step up to a fast 92 or 102 would pick it up. Bottom line though is working on the launch to get that short time where it should be.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Only LS2 Disappointing 1/4 Time (Video inside)

Quick Reply: Cam Only LS2 Disappointing 1/4 Time (Video inside)