C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Vette Owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vette Owners!!

Hello! My husband Tom and I just purchased a 2007 Corvette Coupe from a private party. We are so excited to have this new car but have been running into a few small problems. I Googled "Corvette help" and this was the first site to popup. I have found a lot of great information in the forums. It seems as the issues we have been having are pretty common issues for C6s. I'm just hoping we did not make a mistake with this car. Usually we are pretty good buyers but I wonder if we just got too excited about this Vette and jumped the gun.

The person we purchased from had changed out the wheels and tires. He put slicks on. He changed out the factory exhaust and headers and lowered the car. He kept all the original parts. When we test drove the car the engine light was on and the "Service Fuel System" and "Low Fuel" error kept flashing. The guy said it was just because he had changed the headers. It had to be dino tuned to fix the error, he just had not gotten to it yet as he was going to change something else that would affect the dino tune. We took the car home, got it dino tuned ($500), put the stock wheels back on and purchased new tires ($1,300). The "Service Fuel System" light still comes on at various times. We added Techron Fuel Additive and changed to a top tier fuel. Hopefully over the next few tanks of fuel it will clean off the sensor. If not, I think that's about a $2,000 job. We are having some clunking noises. It's going to the shop tomorrow to be checked out. I'm afraid it's the shocks or suspension system which looks like it's going to run about $3,000. We have ordered replacment headlight covers ($260) as the passenger side has a leak. It was cheaper to buy both sides. Now, today, we started the car and could not shift it into gear. I Googled the problem and again this forum popped up. We found the fix which was to put it in accessory mode, hold down the brake, shift into neutral and then start the car. Is this going to be another $800 to replace the shifter???

We live in Idaho (Pacific Region), been married for 31 years and can't wait to take a road trip in our Vette.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm going to move this over to C6 Tech where hopefully some members will be able to give you some guidance on the problems you are having with your Vette.
The following users liked this post:
krisshell (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Search 'shifter stuck in park'. This is an easy DIY and you can fix this for free at home.
krisshell (06-21-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:41 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

could you read diagnostics codes and put the list here, it would help to give more specific advice.
Any Autozone/similar parts store should be able to "read codes" for you. write down the "P codes" and list them here. Don't buy parts or don't let their advice worry you if you post the codes here you'll get better corvette specific information.

Can't help on the suspension clunk without more specific details but i'd argue corvette parts are actually not that expensive. for instance my old 2002 (a generation older than yours) had bad sway bar end links and those are $130 for all 4 (1 per corner), shocks are also very cheap (except for the Magnetic ride ones, those are expensive, but if mine go bad, i'd just switch all 4 to normal corvette shocks). Not sure what suspension work would cost $3000 but that would be A TON of parts.

Last edited by luka2sb; 06-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by krisshell
Hello! My husband Tom and I just purchased a 2007 Corvette Coupe from a private party. We are so excited to have this new car but have been running into a few small problems. I Googled "Corvette help" and this was the first site to popup. I have found a lot of great information in the forums. It seems as the issues we have been having are pretty common issues for C6s. I'm just hoping we did not make a mistake with this car. Usually we are pretty good buyers but I wonder if we just got too excited about this Vette and jumped the gun.

The person we purchased from had changed out the wheels and tires. He put slicks on. He changed out the factory exhaust and headers and lowered the car. He kept all the original parts. When we test drove the car the engine light was on and the "Service Fuel System" and "Low Fuel" error kept flashing. The guy said it was just because he had changed the headers. It had to be dino tuned to fix the error, he just had not gotten to it yet as he was going to change something else that would affect the dino tune. We took the car home, got it dino tuned ($500), put the stock wheels back on and purchased new tires ($1,300). The "Service Fuel System" light still comes on at various times. We added Techron Fuel Additive and changed to a top tier fuel. Hopefully over the next few tanks of fuel it will clean off the sensor. If not, I think that's about a $2,000 job. We are having some clunking noises. It's going to the shop tomorrow to be checked out. I'm afraid it's the shocks or suspension system which looks like it's going to run about $3,000. We have ordered replacment headlight covers ($260) as the passenger side has a leak. It was cheaper to buy both sides. Now, today, we started the car and could not shift it into gear. I Googled the problem and again this forum popped up. We found the fix which was to put it in accessory mode, hold down the brake, shift into neutral and then start the car. Is this going to be another $800 to replace the shifter???

We live in Idaho (Pacific Region), been married for 31 years and can't wait to take a road trip in our Vette.
sounds like your fuel level sending unit is on its way out.read the thread about 6 above yours by steel3d with video about replacing sending unit.I believe he said it could be repaired with $100. in parts if you did yourself versus $2,000. at dealer.good luck with repairs
krisshell (06-26-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Fuel sensor issues have nothing to do with dyno tune. Really sounds like you should have bought a bone stock car, and not a modified one unless you had plans to modify and race it.

Either way, fuel sensors can be a $100 or $2000 job. The part itself is cheap, but the labor is way up there to drop the tanks. Techron is a bandaid and may work for awhile, but sooner or later the sensors need to be replaced.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:08 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by luka2sb
could you read diagnostics codes and put the list here, it would help to give more specific advice.
Any Autozone/similar parts store should be able to "read codes" for you. write down the "P codes" and list them here. Don't buy parts or don't let their advice worry you if you post the codes here you'll get better corvette specific information.

Can't help on the suspension clunk without more specific details but i'd argue corvette parts are actually not that expensive. for instance my old 2002 (a generation older than yours) had bad sway bar end links and those are $130 for all 4 (1 per corner), shocks are also very cheap (except for the Magnetic ride ones, those are expensive, but if mine go bad, i'd just switch all 4 to normal corvette shocks). Not sure what suspension work would cost $3000 but that would be A TON of parts.
Thank you! We found the Magnetic ride shocks at Rock Auto at a good price. We will have to get to Auto Zone to check on codes. Our local GM dealer is the one who priced the $3,000. (won't be going there). I appreciate your input!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:10 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by irok
sounds like your fuel level sending unit is on its way out.read the thread about 6 above yours by steel3d with video about replacing sending unit.I believe he said it could be repaired with $100. in parts if you did yourself versus $2,000. at dealer.good luck with repairs
Thank you! We are going to get the Techron a try before replacing the sending unit.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by Unreal
Fuel sensor issues have nothing to do with dyno tune. Really sounds like you should have bought a bone stock car, and not a modified one unless you had plans to modify and race it.

Either way, fuel sensors can be a $100 or $2000 job. The part itself is cheap, but the labor is way up there to drop the tanks. Techron is a bandaid and may work for awhile, but sooner or later the sensors need to be replaced.
Thank you! We didn't think that the dyno tune fix sounded quite right, but being total newbies, what did we know? We didn't realize at the time he modified the car for racing. I think we just got a little excited. We had been looking for quite a while and had one sold out from under us after we had bought plane tickets and a hotel room. Luckily the tickets were refunded. I believe we still got a good deal and we can sell the parts we take off. We love the car though.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 PM
irok
Safety Car

Thank you! We found the Magnetic ride shocks at Rock Auto at a good price. We will have to get to Auto Zone to check on codes. Our local GM dealer is the one who priced the $3,000. (won't be going there). I appreciate your input!
last fall AcDelco had a shocktember sale on the MSR shocks.doing the shock replacement myself still cost me around $2,000.
krisshell (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You quickly learn that dealers are horrible and to avoid them at all cost. Only reason to use them is for warranty work.
krisshell (06-26-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by luka2sb

Ok, finally got the codes:

So, am I correct in reading this as the drivers' side "secondary" fuel sensor is the one that needs to be replaced??
Old 07-13-2018, 02:09 PM
irok
Safety Car

Ok, finally got the codes:

So, am I correct in reading this as the drivers' side "secondary" fuel sensor is the one that needs to be replaced??
no you would be incorrect.the secondary fuel level sensor is in the right fuel tank.right side when sitting in car is always passenger side of any car
Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Hi you'll find a vette fun and not to difficult to work on.
First advise, if you like repairing yourselves, is to purchase a 3 book set of Factory Service Manuals.

FWIW the shocks Mag Shocks typically do not fail, unless you see a stream of oil leaking from them.
More than likely is it the wiring and the electrical gear/ component that attaches to the top of the shock.

Fuel System is a know issue. Can be a burden to replace if DIYing and some experience doing this job before could be a good thing. Yes $1000 to $2000 repair. You are on the right track using top tier fuel and Techron to see if it cures itself.

Clunking noise, check the rear axle retainer nuts. There's a service procedure...new nuts, lock light, drying time. Very easy just need a large socket (I think the socket is 32mm or so ) and torque wrench. Just a guess if that is your clunk. Also you can inspect your sway bat bushings.

Reads like you have a good and easy project car to sort.

Have fun.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by irok
no you would be incorrect.the secondary fuel level sensor is in the right fuel tank.right side when sitting in car is always passenger side of any car
Oh, I was thinking since the fuel empties from the passenger side first (at least that is what I think I read) the drivers side would be secondary. Isn't that the more expensive side to replace?
Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Hi you'll find a vette fun and not to difficult to work on.
First advise, if you like repairing yourselves, is to purchase a 3 book set of Factory Service Manuals.

FWIW the shocks Mag Shocks typically do not fail, unless you see a stream of oil leaking from them.
More than likely is it the wiring and the electrical gear/ component that attaches to the top of the shock.

Fuel System is a know issue. Can be a burden to replace if DIYing and some experience doing this job before could be a good thing. Yes $1000 to $2000 repair. You are on the right track using top tier fuel and Techron to see if it cures itself.

Clunking noise, check the rear axle retainer nuts. There's a service procedure...new nuts, lock light, drying time. Very easy just need a large socket (I think the socket is 32mm or so ) and torque wrench. Just a guess if that is your clunk. Also you can inspect your sway bat bushings.

Reads like you have a good and easy project car to sort.

Have fun.
Thanks for the advice. We are getting the shocks changed out Monday so I will make sure they check "the wiring and the electrical gear/ component that attaches to the top of the shock". The car had been lowered before we purchased it and the shocks look really hammered. While they are changing out the shocks I will also have them check the axle retainer nuts and sway bat bushings. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM
irok
Safety Car

Thanks for the advice. We are getting the shocks changed out Monday so I will make sure they check "the wiring and the electrical gear/ component that attaches to the top of the shock". The car had been lowered before we purchased it and the shocks look really hammered. While they are changing out the shocks I will also have them check the axle retainer nuts and sway bat bushings. Thanks again.
make sure they put the proper amount of torque on nut on top of shock.if not the connector will not make contact inside of shock and will not work properly and set a code
krisshell (07-13-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM
krisshell
Navigator

Update! We replaced the headlight lenses and they look great! We got the shocks replaced and it has made a huge difference. It's a lot quieter and handles better. Now we can hear clunking sounds coming from the front (not near as annoying nor as loud). I think it has to do with it being lowered? We are still using the Techron and Top Tier Fuel but we have not had much of a chance to drive it. I think we have only gone through a tank of fuel. Still hoping this will help out on the "Service Fuel System" error. We have had to use the quick fix method for the shifter not shifting from park on start up a lot. Is it possible this could be caused from the "Service Fuel System" light being on all the time? It seems like the problems we are running into are quite common on the C6 but all at once??? We are really not wanting to go to far from home with it as we fear something else will go wrong. We will keep plugging along. Thank you so much for all of your comments and helpful advice.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM
irok
Safety Car

Update! We replaced the headlight lenses and they look great! We got the shocks replaced and it has made a huge difference. It's a lot quieter and handles better. Now we can hear clunking sounds coming from the front (not near as annoying nor as loud). I think it has to do with it being lowered? We are still using the Techron and Top Tier Fuel but we have not had much of a chance to drive it. I think we have only gone through a tank of fuel. Still hoping this will help out on the "Service Fuel System" error. We have had to use the quick fix method for the shifter not shifting from park on start up a lot. Is it possible this could be caused from the "Service Fuel System" light being on all the time? It seems like the problems we are running into are quite common on the C6 but all at once??? We are really not wanting to go to far from home with it as we fear something else will go wrong. We will keep plugging along. Thank you so much for all of your comments and helpful advice.
your shifter issue has nothing to do with "Service Fuel System" cel. check the condition of rubbers on ride height bolts for the front clunking sounds.if someone cut the rubbers to lower car that could be what your hearing.the 2 front end links could also cause that and about $50. to replace.keep plugging away and you'll get it sorted.only issue your having that would make me nervous travelling would be "service fuel system". you could be held for ransom for fuel system repairs on the road.good luck with it
krisshell (07-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New Vette Owners!!

Quick Reply: New Vette Owners!!