C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default No Start

I swapped my 06 LS2 for a dry sump (converted to wet sump) built 416 LS3. It is finally buttoned up and I attempted to start, but it wont. It simply cranks but doesn't run. I am not getting any fuel (tested with a noid light) or spark. Naturally, I checked the crank sensor and made sure it was plugged in. It is the gray style plug indicating that I have the 58X style wheel from my last motor/ECM. I am going to have a look with HP Tuners next to see if it is throwing any codes. I was under the impression that the cam sensors are the same, but am I missing anything else? Can anyone suggest some things? Is a crank relearn necessary now? Any input is helpful.

Side note, the car hasn't been started in about 2 years- so I am not ruling out the crank sensor being 'bad' or even the ECM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by slow goat
I swapped my 06 LS2 for a dry sump (converted to wet sump) built 416 LS3. It is finally buttoned up and I attempted to start, but it wont. It simply cranks but doesn't run. I am not getting any fuel (tested with a noid light) or spark. Naturally, I checked the crank sensor and made sure it was plugged in. It is the gray style plug indicating that I have the 58X style wheel from my last motor/ECM. I am going to have a look with HP Tuners next to see if it is throwing any codes. I was under the impression that the cam sensors are the same, but am I missing anything else? Can anyone suggest some things? Is a crank relearn necessary now? Any input is helpful.

Side note, the car hasn't been started in about 2 years- so I am not ruling out the crank sensor being 'bad' or even the ECM.
anytime that many parts are replaced your factory service manual say's a crank relearn procedure should be done.Relearn can be done with HPTuning but not familiar with how its done with engine not running.did you use the 4X cam gear from your old engine?

Last edited by irok; 07-02-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by irok
anytime that many parts are replaced your factory service manual say's a crank relearn procedure should be done.Relearn can be done with HPTuning but not familiar with how its done with engine not running.did you use the 4X cam gear from your old engine?
No. The motor was built by a builder and installed by me. The can gear comes from a dry sump LS3
Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by irok
No. The motor was built by a builder and installed by me. The can gear comes from a dry sump LS3. Did I miss something?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

No. The motor was built by a builder and installed by me. The can gear comes from a dry sump LS3. Did I miss something?
as best I remember even if the cam gear is not correct the car will still start although it will have a long crank time as long as crank position sensor is working properly.the cam gear would need to be changed to fix that issue though.we may both be missing something.did you find the crank relearn procedure in HPTuning?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I may be wrong, but I would think you'd have to either reprogram the PCM or bring in the LS3 PCM with key (or you'd hit the security roadblock).
Old 07-03-2018, 02:25 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Konrad
I may be wrong, but I would think you'd have to either reprogram the PCM or bring in the LS3 PCM with key (or you'd hit the security roadblock).
It has been reprogrammed to accept the Cam/ injectors map sensor (3 bar) etc. Would the PCM care that the original motor is not in the car?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

HPTuners says I am getting no RPM (Crank sensor) and no MAF. I'm not sure why both of these would be unresponsive, together. It has been two years since the car started, but they shouldn't just go bad... Right?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Red06Vette
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you put the LS3 MAF in the LS2 Car? Did a LS7 into a 2006 LS2 and I had to use the LS2 MAF to get it running, would not start with LS7 MAF(same as LS3 MAF).
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red06Vette
Did you put the LS3 MAF in the LS2 Car? Did a LS7 into a 2006 LS2 and I had to use the LS2 MAF to get it running, would not start with LS7 MAF(same as LS3 MAF).
Yes I did. But I have been running the LS3 MAF from before the motor was swapped. I just ordered a new CPS to see if I can at least get it to start.

Last edited by slow goat; 07-03-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know :

When going from the LS2 to LS3, (58X) simply moving the crank sensor is all that is needed? Is a shim needed? Is it any different for a dry sump?
Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I’m a C5 guy but just because it’s “plugged in” doesn’t guarantee the crank sensor is working !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-04-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rwobs777
I’m a C5 guy but just because it’s “plugged in” doesn’t guarantee the crank sensor is working !!
How can I test the crank sensor?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:15 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

How can I test the crank sensor?
The sensor should be a 3 wire Hall Effect sensor like my 2001...should be 12 volt feed, a ground (low reference), and a signal wire...with the sensor unplugged and KOEO I’d check for 12 volts with a test light (or multimeter) between the feed and low ref...if light lights those 2 wires are ok...I can’t remember if the “signal wire” is a pull up or pull down design...if it’s a pull down you would see 12 volts at the signal wire with a multimeter connected between the signal wire and ground...if it’s a pull up you would see around .03 volts...if you see .03 volts with the multimeter still connected take that test light and connect it to battery positive...touch the tip to the signal wire (multimeter lead connected to it) and you should see the voltage go to 12 volts... if you see 12 volts at the signal wire with it unplugged connect the test light to battery negative and touch the signal wire (really to the multimeter lead connected to it)... the voltage will pull down to around .03 volts...if that good it’s a bad sensor !!..,I’m lucky enough to have a high end bi-directional scan tool and oscilloscope so it’s a LOT easier for me to check mine out if it were bad !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-04-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

The sensor should be a 3 wire Hall Effect sensor like my 2001...should be 12 volt feed, a ground (low reference), and a signal wire...with the sensor unplugged and KOEO I’d check for 12 volts with a test light (or multimeter) between the feed and low ref...if light lights those 2 wires are ok...I can’t remember if the “signal wire” is a pull up or pull down design...if it’s a pull down you would see 12 volts at the signal wire with a multimeter connected between the signal wire and ground...if it’s a pull up you would see around .03 volts...if you see .03 volts with the multimeter still connected take that test light and connect it to battery positive...touch the tip to the signal wire (multimeter lead connected to it) and you should see the voltage go to 12 volts... if you see 12 volts at the signal wire with it unplugged connect the test light to battery negative and touch the signal wire (really to the multimeter lead connected to it)... the voltage will pull down to around .03 volts...if that good it’s a bad sensor !!..,I’m lucky enough to have a high end bi-directional scan tool and oscilloscope so it’s a LOT easier for me to check mine out if it were bad !!
Thank you for that detailed description. The new sensor arrived today. Let's see what happens next.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for that detailed description. The new sensor arrived today. Let's see what happens next.
Let us know the outcome !!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

Let us know the outcome !!
Replaced the sensor and the outcome is the same. I'm stuck at this point..

Get notified of new replies

To No Start

Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Replaced the sensor and the outcome is the same. I'm stuck at this point..

Was the wiring checked ???
Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

I checked to make sure that all the sensors were securely plugged in etc. I'm not sure what else to check.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM
slow goat
Burning Brakes

I scanned the car and got a cam sensor code. So, today I replaced the cam sensor and now, the car sputters, coughs, sounds like it wants to start and dies. I am noticing now that the MAP sensor reading shows that the car is under 5 lbs of boost before I crank the motor(3 bar map). I am receiving P0107 DTC. The MAP sensor has an LS2 to LS3 extension on it. I suspect there might be a problem here next. But would this cause the car not to start? I unplugged the sensor, saw 0 boost as it should prior to start, then attempted. Still no start.

Quick Reply: No Start