C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat and Voltage troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Heat and Voltage troubleshooting

Is there any known issues with ambient Heat and Alternator failure?
Drove 45 mins to work, display showed 14.5 the entire time.
Sat in a 106+ degree parking lot all day and on the ride home the display was now showing 13.4 - 12 at stop lights and traffic.
Oil temp reached 248 and stayed around 240

Started it up cold this morning and display shows 14.5

Looking for input if i replace the alternator what brand and type of alternator should i consider as i believe there is two different types of charging to choose from.
I am guessing something is expanding in the alternator causing a grounding condition perhaps or regulator failing?

Last edited by Got uid0; 07-21-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Yes. Heat will lower the voltage readings you see. High heat like you mention also causes the fan to call for max cooling and you likely had you cabin fan on high as well, these are both larger draw items. Anything in the 13v range is certainly not a problem if you are also seeing 14v from time to time. High 12 readings for anything more than a few seconds start to get suspect. Do not assume it is an alternator issue. A cell in a battery going bad, is as, or more likely. Can not hurt to check the connections by the starter, on the alternator, battery terminals and any large ground points before changing any parts.

If you have under drive pulleys then lower voltages are the norm.

Last edited by NY09C6; 07-21-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Your voltage will fluctuate if your driving in traffic with AC on and the fans are struggling to keep the coolant temps down. A Mechman 170 amp alternator from Bret, BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPERFORMANCE on the forums, will keep your voltage steady.

Last edited by Patriot Six; 07-21-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
Your voltage will fluctuate if your driving in traffic with AC on and the fans are struggling to keep the coolant temps down. A Mechman 170 amp alternator from Bret, BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPERFORMANCE on the forums, will keep your voltage steady.
car has an after market stereo and amp to add to all of that.

I have already replaced a bad yellow top and cleaned up the alternator contacts, cleaned all the contacts on the fuse box and fixed a connection issue i found with the power distribution portion.

I am probably going to do the big 3 upgrade on wiring first but i think this car needs a bigger alternator.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Got uid0
car has an after market stereo and amp to add to all of that.

I have already replaced a bad yellow top and cleaned up the alternator contacts, cleaned all the contacts on the fuse box and fixed a connection issue i found with the power distribution portion.

I am probably going to do the big 3 upgrade on wiring first but i think this car needs a bigger alternator.
Installed the Big 3 upgrade kit from SacCityCorvette

It made a difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Heat and Voltage troubleshooting

Quick Reply: Heat and Voltage troubleshooting