C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Voltage During Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:41 AM
MoeFSU
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage During Idle

Hi All,

I have a C6 2005 Corvette with automatic transmission. Lately I've noticed whenever I am at a stop light with my foot on the brake and engine running idle, the voltage drops down and fluctuates between 9 Volts -10 Volts; this causes the audio and AC system to turn off. This started happening recently during the summer months. So far the car has not completely shut off at one while the voltage drops. When I start driving, the voltage returns back to nominal 12 Volts -13 Volts.

I have taken the car to Auto Zone to get the battery, alternator & starter checked out, and they said everything looks good. I got the alternator replaced 2 years ago and got an AC Delco alternator inside it. The battery was changed about a year ago too.

What could the problem might be? Has anybody else seen similar symptoms? Any advice and recommendations is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Very Sincerely,

Moe
Old 07-22-2018, 03:13 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

How old is the battery, one year? Could still be a bad battery. What is the battery brand and rating and does it supply the required amps after sitting overnight? Sometimes a battery will appear to be OK immediately after being charged. I would start with the battery. Even if the alternator is not putting out full amps to keep up with the fan, AC and other amp draws, a good fully charged battery should hold voltage through the few minutes of a red light stop.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...intenance.html
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What crank pulley do you have? Unless you have had the car since new, one of the prior owners may have changed and that will create the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Voltage During Idle

Quick Reply: Low Voltage During Idle