C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iSimple messing up XM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM
smapple
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default iSimple messing up XM?

I just purchased an 09 Convertible. The previous owner installed an iSimple device so he could connect a small ipod in the center console. It works fine, but I want to have XM radio. When I access the XM1/2 radio option on the touch screen, it simply tells me about the ipod. If connected, it plays songs. If disconnected, it tells me there is no ipod connection. Does this interface delete XM capabilities? I cannot find any way of even accessing XM channel 1 and hearing the endless buy me now commercials. Does anybody know? I DO want XM, as I enjoy the comedy channels while traveling. The other option, of course is that I simply connect my iphone, and use the internet access to XM. Then I am at the mercy of 3g reception zones...rather use the satellite.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I had the same thing in mine when I bought it. I took the console out. Ripped out all the mods, which are plug and play, and returned the radio to stock.
I then went on to activate my XM.
I think there is a way to access the XM by bypassing the Isimple, but it wasn't that important to me to look into. I just gutted it out.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Remove the water fall cover between the sets, and see if there is a XM module still in the car. Next, look under the back right hand side of the VCIM, and see if the Connector for the VCIM is still connected.

Hence the reason that you may not be able to get the radio to receiver the XM signal/channel, is that the XM module is not connected.

Also, check the Isimple dip pin switches to make sure that are set correctly if the XM module is in play.

As for your XM module,Sirius bought out XM in 08, so the 09 XM module should be fine to receive the Sirius signal. On the car up to about 08, you have to send the XM module to Sirius to be reprogrammed to work correctly instead.

So really, need to know I simple module you have in play, if you do have the XM module in the car and it powering up, and the VCIM module is not bypassed with it connector pulled.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

I had a GM PAL version 2 unit in my 2010 Grand Sport. Sirius/XM 1 was used for Sirius/XM stations. Sirius/XM 2 was used for the GM PAL unit when connecting an iPhone or iPod to play music. Don’t know if the iSimple works the same way.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 AM
smapple
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contacted the previous owner who installed it. He verified that he had indeed bypassed the XM radio, as he did not want it. Will have to look at the manual (which he says is in a folder he gave me) for the iSImple device and se if there is an option for also getting XM that he simply did not enable. Starting to wonder if its worth it as the XM guys want an additional $200 plus per year, even though I have it on my other car. And technically, I could just use the iSimple device and get it on my iPhone via internet connection. But then, I'd be using Cellular signal rather than satellite. Enh- both go out in tunnels. Time to go into research mode...I've read some previous threads from years ago for how people re-wired the whole thing to make both work, but that seems like a bit of effort, and I don't like non-stock systems. Also saw some adapters that some folks sell that are wiring harnesses. All seem to have issues. Not a big fan of extraneous cables running through my car.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:09 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Installing the Isimple bypasses the XM automatically. One does not have to remove the XM module to do that.
Removing the Isimple and its cabling should restore the XM to the radio, as mine did. It is literally removing two jumper harnesses in the back of the radio and plugging the original harnesses back in the radio and Voila!!!
Then I called XM and I told them that there was a promotion displayed on my radio for a 6 months subscription for 30 dollars ( Not true ) , but they took the bait and signed me right up for 30 dollars for 6 months.
In six months I will call again and get the same deal all over again. Been playing this game with XM for a long time on 4 cars I currently own.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

When I bought my 08. Isimple was already installed.
If I remember correctly. When you select XM on the radio (NAV unit) you have a few seconds to select a different source (Ipod, USB, input 1, input 2...) by using the seek button.

Or the Isimple need to be rebooted. I have a red button switch near the ODB port. Kills the power to unit to reboot.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rick369
I had a GM PAL version 2 unit in my 2010 Grand Sport. Sirius/XM 1 was used for Sirius/XM stations. Sirius/XM 2 was used for the GM PAL unit when connecting an iPhone or iPod to play music. Don’t know if the iSimple works the same way.
Yes, and the ops problem is that the XM module is not connected, and why he is not getting it to come up on the xm band selection isntead.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:19 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yes, and the ops problem is that the XM module is not connected, and why he is not getting it to come up on the xm band selection isntead.
I am betting that that is not the case. Isimple just simply takes over XM and removes it from the equation. Ipod stuff shows up on the screen instead.
In my case, as soon as the isimple unit was removed , XM was restored immediately.

Last edited by corvettezman; 08-26-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I am betting that that is not the case. Isimple just simply takes over XM and removes it from the equation. Ipod stuff shows up on the screen instead.
In my case, as soon as the isimple unit was removed , XM was restored immediately.
Isimple dip pin setting and firmware flash will dictate which xm band the XM radio will run on, and it will run on for it input sources.

https://www.carid.com/images/isimple...m655-guide.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To iSimple messing up XM?

Quick Reply: iSimple messing up XM?