C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GS Brakes and Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 PM
LittleGrayBook
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 GS Brakes and Rotor

Hi all,

Just bought a 2012 Centennial Edition GS that needs a complete brake job front and back. Any recommendation on what to buy and where to buy it? I don't need anything crazy since it's used as a highway cruiser. Just wanted to get some input.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would buy AC-Delco ceramic pads to reduce dust and Baer rotors because they look good.
The following users liked this post:
LittleGrayBook (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

We have some great sales on DBA 2 piece front rotors right now.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...-+Single+Rotor

We can match up rear T3 1 piece and we have a wide selection of brake pads to select from.

-Ken
Old 08-28-2018, 03:41 PM
harleyreb1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I did AC delco replacement rotors and Powerstop pads, much better on the brake dust and feels excellent.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyreb1
I did AC delco replacement rotors and Powerstop pads, much better on the brake dust and feels excellent.
Do the powerstop pads make any noise on your GS?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 PM
underconstruction
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
i have them and no noise. I like the z26 pads so much I got the z23 powerstop for my wife’s explorer sport. Quiet and 1/10 the dust or less than the stock pads and still brake great

Last edited by underconstruction; 08-28-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Lets back it up,and what tires are you going to run on the car.

If our going to throw A/S tires on the car that have less grip for the car to just be a DD, the Duralast Gold pads with stock rotors will be fine. Hell, if the car only has around 30K or miles on it, just burnt through the first set of HD pad-lets, then the rotors should still have enough meat on them to be turned to clean them back up to be resused.

Now on the other hand, if the car is getting a good set of super performance tires on it that will have grip and your going to use the GS for what it was built for, then you will want to run the oem HD pad-lets, or at least a pad with that has the same initial bite, feed back, and working temp range as the OEM HD pad-lets.

And yes, the GS was built for autocross, so the brake system and pads on are made for such and why the OEM pads are HD to begin with. If the plan is to run the car for high speed road coarse work, then even the HD pads need to be upgraded, since they don't have the working temp range for such use. So here, you looking for a HD street pad that has a road temp range and then another set of pads that have a higher working temp range for track use that you will swap out of the car when at the track, while the two different pads swapped out back and forth will not cross contaminate the rotors isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.
LittleGrayBook (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 AM
LittleGrayBook
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Lets back it up,and what tires are you going to run on the car.

If our going to throw A/S tires on the car that have less grip for the car to just be a DD, the Duralast Gold pads with stock rotors will be fine. Hell, if the car only has around 30K or miles on it, just burnt through the first set of HD pad-lets, then the rotors should still have enough meat on them to be turned to clean them back up to be resused.

Now on the other hand, if the car is getting a good set of super performance tires on it that will have grip and your going to use the GS for what it was built for, then you will want to run the oem HD pad-lets, or at least a pad with that has the same initial bite, feed back, and working temp range as the OEM HD pad-lets.

And yes, the GS was built for autocross, so the brake system and pads on are made for such and why the OEM pads are HD to begin with. If the plan is to run the car for high speed road coarse work, then even the HD pads need to be upgraded, since they don't have the working temp range for such use. So here, you looking for a HD street pad that has a road temp range and then another set of pads that have a higher working temp range for track use that you will swap out of the car when at the track, while the two different pads swapped out back and forth will not cross contaminate the rotors isntead.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm running summer performance tires (albeit a set of cheaper Hankook evo v12s from the dealer) and the car has about 40k miles. From my inexperienced eyes the rotors look fine, so perhaps Duralast Gold pads should work?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 PM
harleyreb1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
not so far and have about 1k miles on em
Old 08-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Carbotech Adam
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Check out the Carbotech 1521 pads in the 1 piece design. Here is a review with same car as yours https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3515320-just-finished-a-brake-job-on-12gs-went-to-ceramic-pads-pic-s.html#post1587585312

If
interested I will be happy to help you out.

part numbers
F: CT1185-S
R: CT1185R-SCarbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleGrayBook
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm running summer performance tires (albeit a set of cheaper Hankook evo v12s from the dealer) and the car has about 40k miles. From my inexperienced eyes the rotors look fine, so perhaps Duralast Gold pads should work?
Would still have the rotors turned to square the faces to each other (outer surfaces wear faster than the inner hub surfaces).

as for pads, all depends on the way you are going to drive the car. If more spirited/going to use the car for autocross type events or driving style, then something like the Carbotech 1521 or OEM HD padlets again since you will not be giving up initial bite and feed back.

The longer lasting/lower dusting/less expensive Duralast Gold pads kind of go hand in hand with the castration of the GS putting A/S tires on it to begin with (longer lasting tires with way less grip). Hence when guys buy a GS built for auto crossing, but the car is going to live it's life out by being driven leisurely chauffeuring miss daisy instead.

So major differences less in initial bite, pedal feed back, and working temp range of the Duralast Gold pads, over the OEM HD and after market performance pads, but make sense when your throwing A/S or high tread life /lower grip tires on the car to begin with.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-29-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 918 Likes on 599 Posts

What's the consensus on padlets versus one piece pads? I got the impression somewhere that the padlets were an unnecessary complication with no benefit. I put Hawk HPS one piece pads on my GS which I've been very happy with. About 90% less dust than the OE padlets, virtually no noise, initial bite seems about the same, never felt a bit of fade even on mountain roads like the Dragon & Diamondback.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GS Brakes and Rotor

Quick Reply: C6 GS Brakes and Rotor