C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change, obsessive? OCD?, maybe normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
You are draining the old oil cold. By warming up the oil, the crud gets suspended in the oil and comes out with it. I am sure your way is fine and may be better but I also feel it is not helping as much as you think.
My reasoning behind that is I have 2x the opportunity to remove crud from the engine as letting it settle lets everything drain to the pan and drain when the plug is pulled. THEN I add clean oil and filter, fire the engine to suspend what crud is left in a clean batch of oil and a clean filter that will work more efficiently than a dirty filter (less chance of bypassing the filter because of it not flowing and bypassing the filter. So I am getting the benefits of the initial crud draining and then the removal of more contaminants thru suspension in clean oil and a new filter..

Last edited by 360Rocket; 09-10-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

So some awesome reading here. Its not so much about the oil as it is the filtration system.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...***-filtration

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-p...filtration.php
Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
So some awesome reading here. Its not so much about the oil as it is the filtration system.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...***-filtration

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-p...filtration.php
If you are that worried about crud then create a bypass oil system like the ones you linked. The Blackstone article even gave an example of a truck going 1,000,000 miles without changing the oil.

Let's ask this question. What are you changing the oil at 3,000 miles? Why not 1,000 miles? Why not 5,000 miles? I think you've been sold on 3,000 miles which was a thing 25 years ago and mostly a thing marketed by the oil companies and oil change shops across the U.S. to get more customers more often rather than need.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
If you are that worried about crud then create a bypass oil system like the ones you linked. The Blackstone article even gave an example of a truck going 1,000,000 miles without changing the oil.

Let's ask this question. What are you changing the oil at 3,000 miles? Why not 1,000 miles? Why not 5,000 miles? I think you've been sold on 3,000 miles which was a thing 25 years ago and mostly a thing marketed by the oil companies and oil change shops across the U.S. to get more customers more often rather than need.
Yes I agree with you. I have always been taught that an oil change is to occur at 3K miles. Old habits never change I guess. Its what is and has been safe and worked for me so far.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Never change the oil cold. You need to run it up to near operating temp to bring all the settled material into suspension so it can be removed by draining.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Never change the oil cold. You need to run it up to near operating temp to bring all the settled material into suspension so it can be removed by draining.
That took place during the "first oil change"
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

So you feel you need to stick to the "manufacturers recommended mobil 1" (which is garbage now) but you don't believe they know what interval to use?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:05 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Mobil basically gave GM the best deal on oil in exchange for putting the "factory fill" label on the oil cap. It's just marketing.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm an engineer...as such, I always follow the engineers' recommendations as shown in the owner's manual - for any type car I have ever owned. My 1983 Porsche went to 550,000 miles. Original engine. Oil change recommended interval was 8000 miles. And that was with conventual oil.

My Corvette get's its oil changed when the Corvette monitor says so...I use the best oil filter I can find.

Last edited by joliett; 09-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Yes...obsessive and ocd
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Just a giant waste of money, time and oil.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Yea, a bit overboard. On my non-dry sump cars over the years...I would just buy one extra quart of the oil I planned to use; and after draining the old, drain bolt still removed, I'd pour that extra quart in the motor to flush as much of the old oil out as I could. I would watch it drain out and it definitely would go from dirty to clean as it drained.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Yea, a bit overboard. On my non-dry sump cars over the years...I would just buy one extra quart of the oil I planned to use; and after draining the old, drain bolt still removed, I'd pour that extra quart in the motor to flush as much of the old oil out as I could. I would watch it drain out and it definitely would go from dirty to clean as it drained.
Now this seems like a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

That took place during the "first oil change"
I could be reading your response wrong...

I was not talking about this left over from engine assembly.

Do this test:

Get you daily driver hot. Drain the oil and place it into a container. Let this sit for 2 days and then pour it into another container. On the bottom of the original container you will see a layer of goo for a lack of a better term. If you are not not getting you oils hot before changing it, some of this is not leaving your engine during oil changes.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Absolutely overboard!

Once a year or about 6k miles using Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and Wix XP filter.

What is important is to top off the oil level which replenishes old oil detergents with the new detergents. I top off when my oil level reaches 3/4 and add until full. I never overfill.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i have put 23k on my z06 in the last 9 years, and that included a round trip to st. louis, mo from houston, tx. that equates to less than 3k a year which is less than the recommended but it's the time that is why i change it once a year in the spring before our club does its 'tour de fluer' to central/west texas. i started using amsoil and noticed that the stick stays clearer longer through the year.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Yes I agree with you. I have always been taught that an oil change is to occur at 3K miles. Old habits never change I guess. Its what is and has been safe and worked for me so far.
Your oil change ritual is very elaborate and specific but seemingly arbitrary. You trust some of what you were taught and what's been published (like the bit about mixing oils) but not other things (like GM's recommended change intervals).

I think you should indulge your OCD with actual measuring. The best thing would be to run a bunch of instrumented trials and tear down the engine(s) afterward to examine bearings, rings, etc. but that's a bit much. However, you could realistically use a place like Blackstone Labs to analyze your oil and make adjustments accordingly. That would provide a bit more method to the madness.

Get notified of new replies

To oil change, obsessive? OCD?, maybe normal?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 AM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil Change, obsessive? or just OCD? So I thought I would just throw out my oil change procedure just to see if there are any like minded auto fanatics out there that use the same oil change thought process as I do or maybe even a better way to do it. So here it goes. A 2005 Chevrolet Corvette with an LS2 motor with 95K miles on the clock. I change my oil at every 3K miles. I will NEVER be caught waiting until 7500 miles, or 10K miles, or 20K miles or changing my oil once a year nonsense that you see in commercials. The oil viscosity tech may have changed but we have yet to discover "self cleaning" oils.

I started a bit differently this time by letting the car sit for a week without the motor turning over at all to let everything settle to the oil pan. I haven't done this before because it really isn't practical as this is a daily driver.

So I get the car up on ramps without starting the motor. I set the parking brake and pull the oil plug and oil filter and a thick black dirty oil pours from the oil pan drain and you can feel the micro carbon grit in the dirty fluid. The DIC read "37% oil life" after 3K miles this oil change when it normally reads "50% oil life" in previous oil changes. I change the oil at 3K miles regardless of what GM or my DIC demands.

Next step is to replace the oil plug, screw on an inexpensive STP oil filter, and add 6 quarts of basic STP 5W-30 oil, start the engine and let it idle until the oil comes up to temperature and then shut the car off to let the "first oil change" as we will call it settle to the oil pan once again.

I again jack up the car, crawl under to once again remove the oil plug, oil filter, and wait until the last drop of oil falls from the oil drain. This time the oil comes out cleaner than the old oil and even cleaner than in past "first oil changes" and i think its because the old oil in the car got the opportunity to settle to the bottom of the pan for a week.

So last step in my oil change process is to button the bottom of the engine back up and this time add a top of the line oil filter and refill the crankcase with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic as the manufacturer recommends, put the car back on the ground, fire it up, let it get to temperature while looking for leaks, shut it off and then read the dipstick. I then slide a piece of clean cardboard under the car and come back in an hour and look for a leak to show up on the cardboard.

Is that all too much? is it crazy? is it obsessive? is it OCD? or are there OTHER car fanatics out there that have a similar procedure? a similar love for the care of their autos?

Do you have any similar oil change processes or ideas you want to share? and opinions on this procedure? my madness?
Dude, if your oil is really that thick, black and gritty after 3000 miles, you got bigger problems than your OCD. Anyway, as a employee in a VERY LARGE oil company, keep it up -- we enjoy your business.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

So over two weeks of driving so I figured IF there was any crud left over from the previous oil change anywhere in the engine it would certainly show up on the stick after two weeks of driving. After looking at the wipe off after coming home from work, I am satisfied with my oil change process and will probably continue to stick to it.

Last edited by 360Rocket; 09-24-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

About ten years ago, using Mobil 1 decided would run my GMC Envoy down to zero percentage on the oil life monitor. The monitor finally reached zero at about 12,500 miles. Sent an oil sample to Blackstone. Their analysis indicated all was well. Included in the report was a notation, suggest you extend your next oil change interval another 2,000 miles.

40 posts in this thread of which 35+ disagree with 360s oil change procedure. Seems to me he is off track. No matter the consensus, am confident there will be no change.

Quick Reply: oil change, obsessive? OCD?, maybe normal?