C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

redtop might be failing,,opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 PM
1hander
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default redtop might be failing,,opinions

i did do a search anf found of course more questions than answers...but im still in it for yor opinions because i value the opinions of other vette owners,,

i noticed for the last month..that when i started the car 05 ...that when i start it, it does not do the usual high energy rip over when it hit the start button, you guys know the sound im talking about..
and yesterday once i started driving i noticed the oil temperature low warning on the dic...and it would flucuate wildly 105...180....220....80....110...then eventually after about 4 miles of driving it would settle down around 8 deg below the water temp.

the first time i noticed it it still started but the starter did not make the same sound...about 1 week ago it started losing the passenger side window index memory setting ..but i always noticed after i started the car..
so in the interest of science for the last 4 days i have
1. onlyl turned on the ignition, and not the start sequence...
2. and every time i only turned on the igniton and opened the passenger door, the window would index properly ..
3. after trying that every morning i would immediately close the door,
4. and start the car (and notice the starter did not sound as energetic..
5. and once started, i would open the passenger door and the index would be lost
6. 4 mornings i checked it this way..and every time the same results..
last night, i put the redtop on charger ..slow charge setting then it switches to trickle charge,,

this morning i first turned on the ignition and the passenger door indexed properly..
the started it and immediately noticed the sound that i remember from the starter
and the passenger door indexed properly after starting

the redtop is only 1 year and 2 months old.. the alternator is charging properly..but i have not checked and cleaned the terminals

is that POS really dieing , if so what do you guys think about going to the tellow yop..
i cant believe the redtop is dieing..if iy actually is
the only thing thats been different around here is for the last 4 weeks, the weather has been extremely wet and rainy..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Sure sounds like a bad battery, but I've had a Red Top in my '05 for the past 8 years & it's still running strong.....but I do regularly keep it on a tender (not a charger). There's always the possibility that an individual battery might be bad, but I would first suspect a bad connection either at the battery terminals, starter or engine grounds. Check the simple things first before rushing to change out the battery.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:13 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Optima batteries are crap since the company was sold a number of years ago.
The following users liked this post:
2k Cobra (09-21-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 AM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

When my old red top in my Tacoma (came with the truck) died I had about a day of slightly sluggish start-ups, and then it fell flat on its face. Wouldn't hold a charge at all - had to keep the motor running for the remainder of our 4x4 trip.
Bought a yellow top and love it. I've got lots of accessories and go wheeling at night so I always have the lights on. Plus it's an AGM battery which is good for bouncing around on a trail.

when I replace the battery in my c6 I'll probably go with a red or yellow top. My yellow top has served me well so far for about 2yrs.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM
1hander
Racer

Yea I heard they sold out... I never thought I'd have to leave the battery in a tender.. It should sit for weeks... But things aren't made like they used to be.. I drive it every other day.. Every 3 at the most infrequent.. So that battery should have no problem... But.. That red top has has more success in my car than any other battery.. So Im not ready to give up on it.. If this one continues to die... I'll try a Yellowtop... After that I'll stop trying ti find an invincible battery and just start putting cheap batteries in it if they are just going to keep dieing
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Odyssey was started by the founder of Optima.... great batteries like optima used to be.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM
1hander
Racer

Good to know.. Very good to know
Old 09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm on board with the bad battery opinions.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 PM
1hander
Racer

Unfortunately... So am I
Old 09-12-2018, 05:47 PM
1hander
Racer

I checked the terminals and the attached cables... And there was definitely corrosion.. Looked like rusty though.. Maybe cuz of the really damp weather..
I drove it today and it barely started.. I checked the battery and the charger said it was at 65%...

I cleaned it all up and tightened everything down and put it on charge again..

One of two things is happening
1. The corrosion was preventing the alternator from keeping battery properly topped off and I was slowly discharging g it every time I drove it

2. Or the battery is dieing.. Will post back after a week to see what it does

Thanks fir your input guys.. On what I know is a really old topic
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

If you don't drive it regularly a battery tender is needed because these cars have a high parasitic draw when shut off. It's an electrical SYSTEM and everything in the system has to be good. Corroded connections can certainly make a good battery look bad. Load testing a fully charged battery is the only reliable way to determine the health of the battery. Auto parts stores will do this for free.

I second the Odyssey battery recommendation if you do need a new battery.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM
1hander
Racer

after doing research i figure that things like cars with high draws is what this battery was designed for, i can understand not driving it for 3 or 4 weeks but driving it at least twice a week, it should have no problem staying alive,
i checked the battery this morning adter a slow 3 amp charge all night then to trickle..its rated for 910CA and the load tester shows it failing at 910 and reads at 475CA... so as you guys stated..these batteries are ****..
ill be buying an oddysey extreme here shortly and well see how it goes..hopefully better..if not ill dwitch to cheap *** batteries, FAIL FAST ..FAIL; CHEAP..
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Have you tried this method of charging the Optima battery?
Old 09-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Interstate has a two year full replacement warranty. Juuussst sayin......
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 PM
1hander
Racer

also good to know..thank you sir

well, its definitely the battery takin a dump...yesterday i cleared all codes and had a 100 charged battery... this morning, i go to start and the starter was a bit lazy but it started...i shut it off and checked the battery and got 11.3v
also i got a **** ton of codes that i know are not atually real, and every one of them could easily be attributed to low voltage during startup....so the battery is on its way out. time for a change ..gonna try an odyssey extreme.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Optima batteries are crap since the company was sold a number of years ago.
Waste of your money.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 AM
1hander
Racer

Yup

Get notified of new replies

To redtop might be failing,,opinions

Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 PM
1hander
Racer

it finally took a ****...lol.i tested it with my battery tester and gor 98 CA
if you could call it luck, i went back to pepboys where i got the battery and luckily found my receipt..
they tested it with there tester and got 90CA, they swapped it out for me, 3 year replacement warranty,
it onl y lasted about 16 months... so the battery issue is at least done for now,

i hooked up a meter to the battery and waited 30 minutes to make sure all systems were asleep, and the the craw was 34 milliamps, so theres no parasitic draw at least other than normal i would think.
but i found another..yje passenger side window is still sticking in the up position, if i give it a little help down , it goes down
i think the window regulator is telling me its on its way out
would you guys agree with that
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my Optima Yellow or Red Top. My Yellow top's been in the Corvette for 6 years. I'm not on board with "Optima is crap".
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have several red tops in my garage. Junk trash batteries. I will never buy or recommend one. Never again.

Literally I have 6 failed ones in my garage from over the years. All my cores are about to head to interstate batteries for a little $

Quick Reply: redtop might be failing,,opinions