C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help and Tips! First time to the drag strip with my 09 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM
k.miller959
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help and Tips! First time to the drag strip with my 09 Z06

Hey Guys, I just bought a new-for-me 2009 Z06 a few weeks ago. My brother in-law has a Hellcat Challanger and we decided a friendly Friday night drag race is in order.

My car as a Halltech CIA and cat-back exhaust. Other than that its stock with Michelin PSS tires (325/30R19) rear.

So we will be doing the Friday Night street drags at our local track next week. I have been to the drag strip a few times in the past but my drag racing experience is very limited so looking for some helpful tips and advise:

Here are my questions:

Should I drive through the burn-out box or go around the water? Wet or dry burnout?

What RPM should I launch at?

What tire pressure should I run (cold)?

Any free things I could change/check to help? Spark plug gap for instance?

Any other tips are welcome! Thanks guys!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Find an empty road in an industrial park or somewhere else. Practice launching at different rpm’s.
Dont mess with tire pressures.
The following users liked this post:
k.miller959 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:45 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Turn TC off and leave the other nannies alone. Drive around the water box and just spin the tires a couple revolutions to clean off any dirt. No burnout. Watch the car in front of you. If he has slicks/DR's and has a straight launch,follow in his tire tracks, otherwise find a different line. Don't just dump the clutch and stand on it, but try to match your clutch release with the power just like you do at every stoplight, only quicker.
Most of all, remember to abort any run where you get wheel hop, excessive spinning, missed shifts, or anything else that is not in a dead straight line to the finish. It's far better to bail out from a bad start and return to try again, than break parts or hit walls. Pay close attention to what you do and you will learn from the little mistakes, because no one is even close to good at first. It's a work in process.
Have fun and play safe.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
GS60th#47 (09-16-2018), k.miller959 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Stock heads and you're gonna be bangin' gears at the strip? You know about these cars right?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM
k.miller959
Advanced

So I ran across this in my searching. It seems to have most all the info I was looking for. I think I read this guy was on this forum so I am sure it has been posted here before but in case anyone else is looking for it, then here it is. I knew this was out there just had to find it lol. I'm a bit late to the table.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...eleration-pt2/

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 PM
no0one718
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Google: Ranger c6 z06 drag racing. He made a bunch of very informative drag racing videos with stock and lightly modified Corvettes. He holds a few records...

Testing on the street beats up the equipment for no reason, the drag strip's prep'ed surface is completely different, and requires different techniques.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Just like said above, don't just hammer down and dump the clutch on take off, the half shafts or the rear diff is the weak link. Absolutely shut it down and try again on another pass if your rear wheels start hopping.

We have Friday nights "Run watcha Brung" at Royal Purple race track here in Houston, be careful about the launch pad being very sticky due to the VHT - it's a lot better to launch out like said above like a hard traffic light start - get out 10-20' and then hammer down on it.

Don't ask me how I know, sat there recording my son at the tree, told him everything above and he launched hard and rolled probably about 50 - 100' out. Have to say the car now has a RPM Stage 4 rear end.....after being pushed out of the way and put on a transport back to home. Don't even get me started about the bitching I heard from his mom...lmao!!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM
k.miller959
Advanced

Yikes! This thread is definitely not a good sales ad for the Corvette from a durability standpoint...apparently I am going to drop a valve and shatter the rear end if I take it to the strip lol.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by k.miller959
Yikes! This thread is definitely not a good sales ad for the Corvette from a durability standpoint...apparently I am going to drop a valve and shatter the rear end if I take it to the strip lol.
No don't take it that way - of course we are going to tell you some of the bad experiences - this was just to let you know that when you are at the tree just know that you can't red line the engine and dump the clutch like you see top fuel dragsters do........just know there are a lot ponies under the hood and there is always that weakest link in the chain.....

Go out have fun, I just wanted to let you know what my first experience with my son behind the wheel was........LOL
The following users liked this post:
k.miller959 (09-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Help and Tips! First time to the drag strip with my 09 Z06

Quick Reply: Help and Tips! First time to the drag strip with my 09 Z06