shocks - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks

Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 AM
garye
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15
Default shocks

I was told both my front shocks were leaking and indeed they were, I called to find out the price for the shocks, $811 per shock. I have ride control in my 427. Can I buy a regular good pair of front shocks and put them on? Will my dic through out a code? Is it possible or not ,2,000 for 2 shocks and labor is nuts.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 AM
Bexe

They’re half that price on rock auto for oem replacements. Give the dealership a call and get the part numbers. Then call rock auto and get them from there. Install (or have a trusted shop install them) then have them set (don’t know the procedure on the mag ride cars). It shouldn’t cost more than $1200 with 4 hours of labor and the shocks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bexe For This Useful Post:
garye (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:22 AM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by garye View Post
I was told both my front shocks were leaking and indeed they were, I called to find out the price for the shocks, $811 per shock. I have ride control in my 427. Can I buy a regular good pair of front shocks and put them on? Will my dic through out a code? Is it possible or not ,2,000 for 2 shocks and labor is nuts.
Either whoever told you they were leaking didn't understand how those shocks work, or he was pulling the old squirt some oil on the shock trick to scam you.

It's extremely rare to have even one shock to leak, let alone two at the same time. Because of the magnetic coils, they have a propensity to pick up road debris which may be oily. Then when the car is off, the debris falls off, but the oily residue remains. So wipe off the shocks, drive it a few hundred miles and check it again. If they look like they are leaking, wipe them with a kleenex and check to see if a magnet will pick up the tissue. If it won't, then it's just more road oil.

BTW, if you decide to go with old school hydraulic shocks, you need to change all 4 and put in simulators to fool the computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to HOXXOH For This Useful Post:
Redbeard77 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 PM
MannyS
CF Senior Member

https://corvetteparts.com/item/shock...trol-2005-2013
The Following User Says Thank You to MannyS For This Useful Post:
garye (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 PM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Don't believe the 80 MPH limitation on that ad. I've been well into triple digits with shocks disabled and the light lit. Just because the DIC shows a warning, doesn't mean anything beyond a warning. Even the DIC message limiting speed to 158 can be over-ridden by turning off TC.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 AM
garye
CF Senior Member

what shock did you buy to replace the F55's
Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 AM
garye
CF Senior Member

Do you have old school shocks, if so what did you go with?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:07 AM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

what shock did you buy to replace the F55's
If that question was aimed at me, I still have the F55 shocks. I just had them disabled for a while. i.e. electrically disconnected.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 PM
Dano523
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HOXXOH View Post

BTW, if you decide to go with old school hydraulic shocks, you need to change all 4 and put in simulators to fool the computer.
Not a fan of this, since the simulators can burn out over time instead.

Instead, just go into the BCM set up with a Tech II, and un-asterisk the real time dampening (F55) and hit save.

Skip to 3:30 on how to disable the F55 system.

And yes on the paper towel to wipe any fluid on the shocks off, and put a magnet to the fluid on the paper towel to see if sticks to the magnet, to confirm its coming from the MRC shocks in the first place

Last edited by Dano523; 10-18-2018 at 10:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dano523 For This Useful Post:
garye (10-18-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 AM
Scott S
CF Senior Member

You might want to get a ride in a non magnetic ride C6 to see how the ride is. The magnetic ride control is pretty magical. I wouldn't even considering deleting from my car.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: