C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced valvetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM
alkvalseth
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Reduced valvetrain noise

Hello! I finally got my dream car, a 2009 Z06! I have imported it to Norway from Oklahoma. But I need to have it approved by the very strict "DMV" over here, and therefore I need to reduce the valvetrain noise as much as possible. Any ideas?
Some info about the setup: I have just bought original exhaust manifolds with cats and a 2012 X-pipe (the one with extra cats). I have also bought the OEM intake manifold (was Fast LSXR 102). I have a Halltech air filter, which the government says is OK, but I'm still afraid this dampens less noise than the OEM filter? I do not have coil covers. Do they help on noise? I don't have the Halltech Heatshield either.
Any ideas?

Last edited by alkvalseth; 10-30-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The long tube headers are likely to be more of an inspection and noise issue than the coil covers....
Old 10-30-2018, 09:34 AM
alkvalseth
Advanced

Sorry, I wrote exhaust mufflers instead of exhaust manifolds. It’s corrected now. I have original exhaust manifolds that I will install
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Ha, that makes more sense. What testing do they do for import? Do they do noise (dB) tests and do you know how it is set up? Usually noise is measured from behind the car which the valve train noise wouldn't really affect. I can't imagine the slight sewing machine valve noise would be an issue unless you have to prove everything is 100% stock? I have run an ls3 with and without the covers and manifold insulation and it is slightly louder but nothing you would notice from behind the car.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Valve train noise.
Not sure of the exact issue as lifter / fuel injectors are not so noisy.

Could be the intake manifold "roar" or header "pinging".

Not knowing the testing in Norway, I think you are on the right steps to replace the intake and headers with stock components..

The plastic beauty covers (over the coils and valve cover6s) could muffle some noise but not by a lot IMO.
In that regard, perhaps lining those covers with Dyno Mat or like product could help, yet watch the heat rating, don't want that
material to catch fire.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 AM
alkvalseth
Advanced

Originally Posted by Garymorris
Ha, that makes more sense. What testing do they do for import? Do they do noise (dB) tests and do you know how it is set up? Usually noise is measured from behind the car which the valve train noise wouldn't really affect. I can't imagine the slight sewing machine valve noise would be an issue unless you have to prove everything is 100% stock? I have run an ls3 with and without the covers and manifold insulation and it is slightly louder but nothing you would notice from behind the car.
They don't measure noise, at least they didn't last time (Maybe it was so much louder last time that they didn't even bother), but they do listen for anything being not stock. There is a quite big cam on the car, and the idle is up to 1050-1100rpm so it smooths the lobe out somewhat, but you also notice a quite apparent sewing machine valve noise as you describe it. For it to be approved it has to be 100% stock with the exception of air filter and rear muffler (if it's close to stock).

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Valve train noise.
Not sure of the exact issue as lifter / fuel injectors are not so noisy.

Could be the intake manifold "roar" or header "pinging".

Not knowing the testing in Norway, I think you are on the right steps to replace the intake and headers with stock components..

The plastic beauty covers (over the coils and valve cover6s) could muffle some noise but not by a lot IMO.
In that regard, perhaps lining those covers with Dyno Mat or like product could help, yet watch the heat rating, don't want that
material to catch fire.

Good luck.
Actually the valve train makes a quite significant sound, I am 99% sure the sound is a mechanical sound from the valvetrain. I like the idea of lining the covers with sound dampening!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

run a little heavier oil while youre being inspected?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Putting the Fuel Rail covers (Coil Covers) back on will kill a lot of valve train noise..

Should be pretty easy to get "Used" ones..

Good luck, 2k

Last edited by 2k Cobra; 10-30-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

If the car was tuned for the headers properly they oxygen sensor tables would have been modified to help the idle with the cam and different sensor location. Now that you've swapped back to stock manifolds it may be worth getting to tune tweaked to see if the idle could be smoothed out anymore and the rpm lowered. Most guys that tune for cams want the chop so they don't spend much time working on idle but an experienced tuner can smooth out a pretty big cam if you want.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:10 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

All LS motors have an inheriently noisy valvetrain; you won't be able to eliminate all of it entirely.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

And taking all that stuff off could mess with tune.

Check pushrod length as well. That can cause lifters to be extra noisey. Other than that, return it to as close as stock as possible.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM
alkvalseth
Advanced

Thanks all for good feedback! Really appreciate it! I don't have access to a tuner now, but I will definitely get a fuel rail cover!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by BigVette427
All LS motors have an inheriently noisy valvetrain; you won't be able to eliminate all of it entirely.
x2 only thing I found that made a difference was switching to dino oil, 10-30 or so. Wont eliminate it but will be noticably quieter
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I'd leave the FAST intake on there...those come with CARB EO#'s here, which means they're 50 state legal. What isn't 50 state legal is that air intake from Halltech...so I would tend to think, that if your Halltech passes local inspections, so could that FAST 102 intake. Removing the headers will cut down on some sound for sure.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 11-05-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I like the idea of putting 'covers' back on the engine with some added 'insulating' materials, just for inspection of course...
engine 'lope' and idle behavior can also be tuned quite a bit, more timing more fuel usually smooths things out. Just don't leave it there.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:41 AM
alkvalseth
Advanced

Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM
ImBoosted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As previous posts have mentioned: Pushrod length and oil weight; Temp resistant sound deadening over the valve covers and under the plastic engine covers would probably make a huge difference as the valve-train is somewhat noisy. Factory Intake/Headers.

I'm unsure what standard of sound level you have to reduce the engine noise to, but I cant imagine many other vehicles on the road there are that much quieter. As Unreal mentioned, checking pushrod length may help. I'd imagine high temperature sound deadening secured over the most of the valvetrain/top of the engine and also under the plastic engine covers would make a significant difference in the typewriter style noise these engines make.

An intake shroud may also help reduce some of the noise coming through the intake port.

Goodluck!

Last edited by ImBoosted; 11-07-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced valvetrain noise

Quick Reply: Reduced valvetrain noise