C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Hvac madness

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 AM
01swampdonkey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Hvac madness

Hello all, thank you in advance for taking time to read this and trying to help solve my problems. I’m very familiar with mechanical issues and fixing everything myself but I’m a foreigner when it comes to the whole hvac system and dual climate control and how everything works. I just bought 2013 corvette this February and it now has 82,000 miles on er’. Since I had it the selector option for where to blow the air has never worked. No mater what setting it blows out the defrosters. The power setting is either blowing as hard as it can or off. AC worked perfect, come winter I’m finding out my driver side doesn’t blow hot air it’s rather chilly sometimes when I have it at 90, passenger side is blowing hot. Also sometimes my hvac display doesn’t even come up or work and I have to tap on the screen for it to display outside temp then it works. There’s also no codes popping up. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery and leave it off then reconnecting and see if it resets but the problems stay the same. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Tapping on the HVAC controller to get it work, sounds like a cold solder joint in the controller and easy enough to pull the controller boards to re-solder the cold solder joints.

This could be the problem with the fan only spinning maxed, or could be a problem with the Motor since it has a PWM controller on it that may be going out instead.

As for HVAC box, would check to make sure that the acuator doors/ motors are working correctly. Again, could be the controller, blow fuse, or could be the broken doors or burnt out motors.

As for having to pull the dash to replace parts in the air box, maybe or maybe not, since there is a way to go through the glove box opening to get to the door actuators.

So, pretty easy fixes on your own, but if you take the car to a dealer, they will want to replace the HVAC controller, and them pull the dash to get to the air box to solve it problems as well. Dealer wise, your looking at over $2K, while you may be able to solve the problem for free if just a cold solder problem on the HVAC controller boards that just need to be re soldered.

P.S edit your information to include your location. This allows fellow vet owners around to offer assistance in not only to first trouble shooting the problems with hands on the car, but may be able to give you a hand on repairs as well. Hence right now, we know that HVAC controller needs to be re soldered, but don't have a clue on actuators motors and doors until someone get them to check them. Hence if you where in the Denver area, could give you a hand to trouble shoot the problems in a few mins, and maybe able to solve all the problems in less than a few hours.

Quick Reply: C6 Hvac madness