C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 PM
tobb14
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS3 Engine Rebuild

Head

Piston
I just rebuilt my engine about a week ago and when I went to crank it, it started smoking. I thought it was old debris burning off first at first but the smoke never left. Afraid that I would damage the engine I tore the heads back off and discovered that I had oil pooled on top of the pistons on the passenger side. My head gasket was completely saturated with oil please see picks. I'm hoping that I just simply didn't line the head gasket up right but if I'm wrong I'm thinking it's the piston rings. Please take a look at the pics that I've attached and provide some advise of other possible issues.

Last edited by tobb14; 01-13-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 01-13-2019, 04:29 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by tobb14

Head

Piston
I just rebuilt my engine about a week ago and when I went to crank it, it started smoking. I thought it was old debris burning off first at first but the smoke never left. Afraid that I would damage the engine I tore the heads back off and discovered that I had oil pooled on top of the pistons on the passenger side. My head gasket was completely saturated with oil please see picks. I'm hoping that I just simply didn't line the head gasket up right but if I'm wrong I'm thinking it's the piston rings. Please take a look at the pics that I've attached and provide some advise of other possible issues.
Your piston rings are probably OK. It would have to be a serious phuque up to have queered piston rings. Look to head to block sealing (head gasket, block deck and head surface trueness).
Old 01-13-2019, 05:15 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Your piston rings are probably OK. It would have to be a serious phuque up to have queered piston rings. Look to head to block sealing (head gasket, block deck and head surface trueness).
The head gasket being saturated, in my opinion, confirms a head gasket issue,
Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Probably head gasket problem.

The only other thing I can think of is the rocker arm bolts. Some LS3 heads need sealant on the rocker arm bolts as they can protrude into the intake runner but that is usually only on ported heads.

Other possibilities are valve guides and/or valve seals.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Probably head gasket problem.

The only other thing I can think of is the rocker arm bolts. Some LS3 heads need sealant on the rocker arm bolts as they can protrude into the intake runner but that is usually only on ported heads.

Other possibilities are valve guides and/or valve seals.
I was thinking valve seals as well. You did check the gap on all your rings, didn't you? And you did clock the gaps away from each other, right?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:50 PM
tobb14
Instructor

That maybe one of the reasons because I did port the heads
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM
tobb14
Instructor

I was thinking valve seals as well. You did check the gap on all your rings, didn't you? And you did clock the gaps away from each other, right

Please explain in a little more detail about the valve seals. I did gap and clock gaps away from one another. I haven't herd about the seals, not sure how it plays a role
Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

That maybe one of the reasons because I did port the heads
Interesting. Easy to check that then. Just look in the intake ports of that head and see if there are any holes. If there are they need a sealant on the threads when you install the rocker arms.

That may be the problem but it may not be.

Out of curiosity what head bolts are you using? Factory or ARP?

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 01-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

The valve seals go onto the valve under the spring. They are an oil seal to prevent oil getting past the guides into the cylinders. They are usually pretty cheap and are very easy to change. It’s never a bad idea to replace them during a rebuild or when you change valve springs. One of those “while you are in there” kind of things.

If I were you, I would replace the valve seals, check both the heads and the block for flatness, put a fresh set of GM MLS head gaskets, and go with ARP head bolts or even better ARP head studs. And make sure to use a sealant on the rocker arm bolts.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM
tobb14
Instructor

makes sense. when I ported them I was told a small hole on the intake side won't hurt anything I didn't realize that oil from the head gasket could seep throught.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM
tobb14
Instructor

hey thanks for the input but during the rebuild I picked up a cam kit with the new cam. Springs, push rods, valve seals and ARP everything from bottom end to the top were all brand new. I ported the heads and I'm hoping oil got by through the rocker bolts and if that's the case, the only thing I need is some sealant. Fingers crossed. I would be pissed if I have to tear the engine down again. That would really suck! I will replace the head gasket and put sealant on the rocker arm bolts. If that doesn't work then I will have to tear down the engine again.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

hey thanks for the input but during the rebuild I picked up a cam kit with the new cam. Springs, push rods, valve seals and ARP everything from bottom end to the top were all brand new. I ported the heads and I'm hoping oil got by through the rocker bolts and if that's the case, the only thing I need is some sealant. Fingers crossed. I would be pissed if I have to tear the engine down again. That would really suck! I will replace the head gasket and put sealant on the rocker arm bolts. If that doesn't work then I will have to tear down the engine again.
Yep, if you port the intake ports on an LS3, typically the rocker bolt holes break through the roof of the intake port. In that case, you have to use sealant on the rocker bolts threads or oil will seep past the threads into the intake port and the engine will smoke like a sumbitch. More than likely, that’s all that’s wrong here. Clean the holes and rocker bolt threads with a good solvent like Brakekleen and paste on some thread sealant before you screw them in and you should be good.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM
tobb14
Instructor

fingers crossed, I hope that is all I need.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Engine Rebuild

Quick Reply: LS3 Engine Rebuild