C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody know .....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts
Default Does anybody know .....?

if you use taller tires (on rear) I know it can mess up the traction control/stability. If you change to the correct tire size in the computer, will that allow the taller tires with no codes?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

The ratio of front to rear diameter needs to remain the same. Don't think you can change that in the tune and keep the nannies happy. So, if you add a 10% taller tire in the rear, you need to similarly get a 10% taller tire in the front. The rears need to be about 4.6% taller than the fronts no matter how tall the rears are.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by farmington
if you use taller tires (on rear) I know it can mess up the traction control/stability. If you change to the correct tire size in the computer, will that allow the taller tires with no codes?
IIRC there is no tire size adjustment for front tire size in HP Tuners, only the rear to correct the speedometer/odometer. If that's true, you can't fix the ratio if it's out of the limit. If my memory is wrong, and it happens more frequently anymore, then you can fix the ratio.

Here's a method that assures the minimum ratio limits and can be used with replacement tires, especially when only replacing one axle pair. BTW, not all tire manufacturers tire data is accurate, but short of measuring the tire properly inflated and on the car, it's all we have.

Find the OD of the OEM front tire and the tread depth. Do the same for the rear tire.
Calculate the circumference of each with full new tread and also when no tread remains.
Calculate the percentage of difference between full tread on the front vs no tread on the rear, then do the same for no tread on the front vs full on the rear. Those are the known limits. It may be more, but GM doesn't appear to let that information be public.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 PM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Going with taller tires in the rear on raises the rear end. Whether this will impact handling o aerodynamics in a Corvette.....I don't know, but I wouldn't chance it.

Going with rear tires that are more than an 1" taller than stock while keeping stock diameter front tires has been known, in the 94-96 B-bodies to disrupt/disable the ABS.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 01-14-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anybody know .....?

Quick Reply: Does anybody know .....?