C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header shootout on stock c6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts
Default Header shootout on stock c6?

If there is one, does someone got a link?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Preferably an LS3
Old 01-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

There was one out here in the forum from years ago, comparing many of the brands, and they were all very similar in performance. From what I remember, even with it, there were many arguments and questions if it were really apples to apples. Temps, humidity, etc. all play into it.

And it gets even more complicated when different dynos are involved. And, be sure you compare autos to autos and manuals to manuals.

It is virtually universal feedback from users like me (and from dealers that install and then test them) that you will see a 25 - 30 hp gain with headers and a tune on a stock LS3, comparing the before and after rwhp numbers. Torque gain is also in that range, with it kicking in sooner on the lower RPMs.

Torque and HP numbers are also similar comparing 1 3/4" primaries to 1 7/8" primaries, with most shops recommending going to the larger if you plan to up the HP with other mods later.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette tuner in Tampa

Power wise, its hard to judge because many factors come into play.

Installation wise, the higher end headers like American Racing and Kooks, install fit is much better than lower end knock offs.

The lower end brands can hit the steering column, burn spark plug wires, burn O2 sensor wires, leak at the x pipe, and rub against the heat shield. I know some places can charge more because the off brand takes longer to install because everything doesn't line up.

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 01-23-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Excind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
Power wise, its hard to judge because many factors come into play.

Installation wise, the higher end headers like American Racing and Kooks, install fit is much better than lower end knock offs.

The lower end brands can hit the steering column, burn spark plug wires, burn O2 sensor wires, leak at the x pipe, and rub against the heat shield. I know some places can charge more because the off brand takes longer to install because everything doesn't line up.

I installed a set of Kooks long tubes with catted x-pipe and it was one of the easiest things I've done on the car. The fit was perfect and it came with stage 8 locking hardware. They were expensive but less install frustration was worth the extra money.
The following users liked this post:
Tampa Tuning (01-25-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Seadawg
There was one out here in the forum from years ago, comparing many of the brands, and they were all very similar in performance. From what I remember, even with it, there were many arguments and questions if it were really apples to apples. Temps, humidity, etc. all play into it.

And it gets even more complicated when different dynos are involved. And, be sure you compare autos to autos and manuals to manuals.
That's exactly why I was looking for a "shootout" to get an apples to apples comparison on the same dyno in the same conditions with the same car.

Last edited by jimijam; 01-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

If the tube diameter is the same the power is going to be the same. Quality and fitment are what you pay for.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro tuner in Tampa E85

I agree. Ive seen $600 dollar headers take twice as long to install and the savings you thought you got, is a loss at install.
The problem area I see the most is exhaust contact with the heat shields or frame. You engine and exhaust twist at WOT. Your knock sensors (microphones) just hear rattle and a good tuner has to determine if your timing is being pulled from actual pre-detonation in the cylinder, or exhaust or engine bay ( all the cool aftermarket chrome caps) that are causing the noise.

Ive had Kooks on my C5 with no issues in 15 years. And American Racing on my ZR1..

Originally Posted by Excind

I installed a set of Kooks long tubes with catted x-pipe and it was one of the easiest things I've done on the car. The fit was perfect and it came with stage 8 locking hardware. They were expensive but less install frustration was worth the extra money.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Problem with LG header type test, is you have to re-tune the motor to get the most of of them, and the tune is the part that could really make a difference on the bias of the entire event for each header as well. Plus lets that that you are going to swap 8 sets of header on the same car one day, and this would bring in the differences in environment conditions that could change the numbers from one set of headers to the next.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

There won't be much difference between different brands of headers such as Kooks, LG, ARH, Stainless Works, etc. They all have the same basic design. Just go with a quality, name brand set so they will fit well and then get a tune.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Excind

I had the same experience. Perfect fit.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

If your looking for a good set of headers take a look at our TPS 1-7/8" RPM Headers for only $999 shipped to you.. they are made in the USA, fit great, easy to install and make very good power. If your looking for other brands such as ARH, Kooks, or B&B we can give you a great deal also. PLUS we offer 0% financing for our headers for up to 1 year

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/tps-rpm-c6-corvette-1-7-8-long-tube-headers-w-x-pipe.html

Features
-100% Made in USA
-They fit great & install EASY
-Have EXCELLENT ground clearance.
-Makes GREAT Power
-100% Made in the USA with USA Stainless Steel
-Includes Gaskets, extensions, & TPS Billet Catch Can
-Lifetime Warranty
-Our Hi-Flow Catalytic converters are made in the USA and are 49 State Legal
-All this for $999 shipped to your door.

Here are some reviews and pictures of products installed on customers cars..

C6 GS w/ Cats
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-review.html

C6 Z06 w/ Cats
-Made 508RWHP/ 473WTQ with nothing more than headers, intake and tune

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Get notified of new replies

To Header shootout on stock c6?

Quick Reply: Header shootout on stock c6?