C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM
vairhead65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High stall converter

I am installing a Yank SS 3200 converter in my '09 Z51. Should I consider a deeper pan or auxiliary fluid cooler to keep fluid temp in check? Mostly a street car. Also, having just having my fluid changed, should I change it again? I know it sounds dumb, but I'm sort of a noob and don't want to botch it. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Leave the fluid alone, I always run an external cooler when using a bigger converter. Heat is the enemy with auto trans
Get a good one
The following users liked this post:
vairhead65 (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

If I was adding a higher stall converter I would definitely add a good TOC. I did when I added a Yank TT2600 to my Avalanche.
vairhead65 (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I had a 3200 Yank, the only time I had a temperature issue that was more than with the stock converter, was when driving a really long mountain route going from 3000 feet to 9000 feet. The OEM cooler will be fine. Check your temps now for a comparison to after the swap. Aftermarket coolers are not a big deal to add later if your driving style or terrain requires one. Don't do a dropped pan unless you a building a track car that'll never see the street. Potholes and speed bumps require stock clearances.

You might as well change the fluid again, since what you already changed only meant you drained half the fluid and now you have 50% new and 50% old. The converter will be shipped dry and you need to add at least 1 quart before installation and about 5 more at startup. If you changed the filter the last time, it's still good. Otherwise get a new filter and 13 quarts of fluid to start with everything fresh and clean.

Here's 2 links I posted to help you. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uid-plugs.html

Also search for Subfloor converter swap instructions.
vairhead65 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
vairhead65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the plethora of tranny fluid info, HOXXOH, Now, since I ordered a B&M 13,000 BTU cooler kit last night in a sleepless stupor... should I run it in series with the car's radiator cooler, or as a stand-alone? I live in a mild climate but winter mornings can be very cold. Haven't raced the car yet, either.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vairhead65
Thanks for the plethora of tranny fluid info, HOXXOH, Now, since I ordered a B&M 13,000 BTU cooler kit last night in a sleepless stupor... should I run it in series with the car's radiator cooler, or as a stand-alone? I live in a mild climate but winter mornings can be very cold. Haven't raced the car yet, either.
Considering your climate, topography, and that the stall is only 3200, I'd opt to plumb the cooler after the radiator and with valves to switch from going through the cooler to bypassing it as conditions require. Ideally for good performance and longevity, the fluid temperature should be 175 +/- 10. Above 220 for extended periods can cause long term damage.

Too cool is almost as much of a problem as being too hot. Below about 150, the shifting at WOT is erratic, although not noticeable at partial throttle except for the 3-4 shift. If you experience what feels almost like a clutch that is slipping and then grabbing upon a hard or WOT launch, add a 1/2 quart of fluid at a time until that stops happening. If you have a program such as HP Tuners to scan with a graph, you can see vs feel what I mentioned, but don't overfill without knowing the facts.

As I mentioned before, keep a log of temps before you swap converters and after the swap. If you don't ever see anything more than 10 degrees higher, I wouldn't bother installing a cooler, unless you play in the mountains a lot.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 03-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To High stall converter

Quick Reply: High stall converter