C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 PM
Tykeela
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problems

My AC went out and I’m trying to figure out do i suppose to have an orifice tube or i need to look at the expansion valve

Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

For starters, turn the A/C on with the motor running and two things should happen/

1, the raditor fan should come on.
2, you should see the condenser clutch engage to spin the condenser.

If radiator fan comes on, but condenser clutch does not engauge to drive the compressor, may have a broken wire or bad clutch.
If both the raditor fan and the compressor clutch does not engauge, then may have a Bad HVAC control or one of the connector became unplugged (its the unit below the radio).

Now if the radatior fan comes on, and the compressor clutch engages, then need to hook up gauges to the high and low ports to see that pressure amounts.
Here are your charts for the pressures.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6hw61h...harts.pdf/file

As for reason I say check the pressures, if the system is over filled, there is a high pressure switch that will kick out the system every time

As for your office tube, it on the lower connector to the heat exchanger connection fitting.
To change if if you are getting strange readings on the high/low system, you will need to have the Freon reclaimed to depressurize the system to start with. Change the filter and O ring. Then have the system vacuumed to boil off and remove all the humidity in the system before it can be correctly pressurized charged again.

And again, if you over filled the system with too much pressure/Freon, the high pressure switch is going to shut the system off before it blows a line.

The one last thing to check if the system is just wilding, is to look at the louvered section of the dash to the left of the starter button with a flash light, and see if you can see a Blue bulb just behind the vents. This is the location of the cabin temperature sensor, and if it un-clipped from the bezel and fell into the bowels of the dash, will not have the correct reading of the actual cabin temp/why you think your going through menopause with the cabin too hot/too cold instead.
The following users liked this post:
wjnjr (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

To build on Dano's advice, if you're getting 3 blinks and it's shutting off, I just learned if you have a tech II you can read what the problem is as that kicks up a code. High pressure, low pressure, bad ambient sensor, bad compressor, low voltage or engine temp too high are all culprits. I just had to change out the ambient sensor on the wife's Acadia.

Get notified of new replies

To AC problems

Quick Reply: AC problems