C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 01:36 AM
fstarr56
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default climate control issue

Need some help hear guys. the climate control on my 2012 grand sport just start acting up. We finally got some nice weather up here in the north east so I turned the AC on the passenger side blows ice cold but the driver side is blowing heat, has anyone had this problem on their C6?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Common issue over the years. Most likely a malfunctioning mode door (air blend door) actuator. Could be several causes from simple fix to expensive.

You "could" try disconnecting the battery for 10 - 30 minutes then reconnect and hope the HVAC system resets (reboots) and corrects an electronic or motor error that is causing the malfunction. This is the easiest and cheapest but least likely to work, but it has worked in some cases.

The typical problem is a mode door curtain tears and jams the mechanics or a motor goes bad. You might have to go to a dealer or independent shop and have the HVAC OBD2 codes read with a Tech 2 to pinpoint the problem. Worst case, if a mode door actuator has to be replaced the whole dash has to come out. Dealer cost for this, last time someone posted a few years ago, was over $1500. Be aware there are 4 of them in there so if you end up having to replace one, it would be prudent to consider replacing all of them. The parts cost is relatively small compared to the labor of having to do it again in the future when another one fails.

Good luck, let us know what you find out. All info adds to the knowledge here.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:28 PM
fstarr56
Intermediate

I disconnected the battery this morning for about 2 min. before we went out on a fun run with our car club the AC was working but not coming thru the dash we stopped for a bathroom break got back in the car and it’s working fine now 👍🏻 I think I’ll disconnect the battery overnight and see what happens tomorrow. Do you know if there are any issues with the control panel itself or is it always the doors and motors?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 AM
fstarr56
Intermediate

Thanks for that good info. I disconnected the battery for about 2 min. before we took the car out for a fun run with our club, The AC was working but not coming thru the dash. We made a bathroom stop then came out and it was working fine. I think I'll disconnect the battery overnight and see what happens. Are there any problems with the control itself that you know of?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fstarr56
Thanks for that good info. I disconnected the battery for about 2 min. before we took the car out for a fun run with our club, The AC was working but not coming thru the dash. We made a bathroom stop then came out and it was working fine. I think I'll disconnect the battery overnight and see what happens. Are there any problems with the control itself that you know of?
Had the same problem with ours, the cause was the driver side cabin sensor was clogged with lint. The cabin sensor is just to the left of the starter rocker switch, a small (quarter size) round opening with I believe 3 horizontal slots? It's a cylinder that's behind the opening that pulls in cabin air to measure then adjust the HVAC per your dash setting. Over time it get clogged with lint and sends the wrong info to the HVAC system. So remove the meter panel around the steering wheel, remove the cylinder blow it out with an air hose. Possibly that's your issue, it was ours.

FYI, all this info was what we were told by our dealer, he showed us the cylinder after he removed it from the meter panel. It was packed with lint. We haven't had an issue since.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:12 AM
fstarr56
Intermediate

Awesome, thanks I will take a look at that and see if it works. Yesterday the AC was working but not coming thru the dash, I disconnected the battery for 30min. then it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To climate control issue

Quick Reply: climate control issue