C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Father’s Day present: Headers.... Any advice on the extras?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Father’s Day present: Headers.... Any advice on the extras?

I’ve finally decided to treat myself, from my wife and daughters of course, to a set of headers. After an “exhausting” situation with a fraudulent seller here for a set of OBX headers & cats I’ve decided to just buy new. Because I have a Bassani exhaust system no one’s intermediate pipe will fit. I did look at the Billy Boat headers which bolt right to the cat-back. Although that would be the easiest way to do it I’m not real excited about the collector shape/design and I’m worried about the heat. Speed Engineering and Texas Speed were also on my list but I was worried about the fitment of one and that the other would drag over speed bumps in my stock height car.

I chose Hinson and am about to place my order. It’ll be the headers, heat shields for the plug wires and possibly the O2 extender harnesses. They sell a 24” and it seems I’ve read that some have used something a little longer? I’ve got a buddy at a GM dealer so I’ll get plug wires, exhaust manifold bolts, exhaust manifold gaskets and new front oxygen sensors. I think if possible I’ll just have the rear oxygen sensors tuned out so I don’t have to mess with bungs in the pipes.

Is there anything I’m missing here? At 50k miles I was just gonna skip the spark plug replacement and just do the wires as preventative service. Any advice that any of you header changing veterans can offer a guy that’s never done a set on a LS?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

This is the Bassani cat-back that’s on my car and why I’ll be at the mercy of some guy at an exhaust shop willing to do it for me.

The tips look great and the sound I get is very unique because there are tailpipes on this muffler. The X is in the muffler.

I’ll replace the pipes in front of the muffler with 3” to help with the sound I’m after. I know that it’ll need to be “necked” down to go into the muffler.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats. I went with the speed engineering 17/8 headers and catless x pipe, fitment was excellent no issues.
I would go with the 31 inch 02 extensions, makes it easier to get them up and out of the way of hot pipes.
Sounds like you have a good plan, the only other thing is a good tune, had mine done at Cordes Performance Racing, they also did my install, everything worked out great. You'll be very happy especially after a good tune.

Speed Safe.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by SixAddict
Congrats. I went with the speed engineering 17/8 headers and catless x pipe, fitment was excellent no issues.
I would go with the 31 inch 02 extensions, makes it easier to get them up and out of the way of hot pipes.
Sounds like you have a good plan, the only other thing is a good tune, had mine done at Cordes Performance Racing, they also did my install, everything worked out great. You'll be very happy especially after a good tune.

Speed Safe.

Thanks! I’ll look for some longer extensions. I’m looking at 2 different local Tuners, both with a good reputation in the local LS community. Prepared the wife for that too!

Get notified of new replies

To Father’s Day present: Headers.... Any advice on the extras?

Quick Reply: Father’s Day present: Headers.... Any advice on the extras?