C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished my clutch replacement. Spraying clutch fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Just finished my clutch replacement. Spraying clutch fluid.

I just buttoned everything up in the interior and went to bleed the clutch after pulling everything involved in replacing the clutch. I kept getting air in the line attached to my new Monster speed bleeder, looked under the car and found a puddle of brake fluid on the ground. The bellhousing and the connection between the cats and mid pipe were dripping fluid. I'm sure the problem lies in where the speed bleeder goes into the slave.

My questions are now
1) Can I rectify this without dropping the entire rear cradle again?
2) Will pulling the intake allow me to access the connection so that it can be tightened?
3) What is at risk from all this brake fluid? Should I be concerned about the slave components or will they hold up? Is this going to affect my brand new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel?
4) Do I need to pull everything apart and clean it all?

I'm really disappointed as I've been busting my *** every waking moment for the last eight weeks trying to stay on top of my homework, make enough money for car parts, work on this huge job during every free moment I've had outside of work and school, and now I feel like I'm back to square one. Disappointed does not begin to describe my feeling at the moment.

Looking for any advice. I guess I'm most concerned with whether or not I need to pull everything apart ASAP to prevent any damage from corrosive brake fluid.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,322 Likes on 893 Posts

If indeed the fluid is leaking from where the speed bleeder connects to the slave is very possible that it need to be tightened. The other possibility is that the bleeder broke off when during the re-install of the torque tube. Some people have had this problem with the Tick speed bleeder and I just checked and the Monster bleeder looks to be the same.

1. Probably will need to disassemble everything.
2. I don't think pulling the intake will help.
3. Risk from brake fluid is a fire. Slave should be fine. Yes, it will affect the clutch; the clutch needs to be very clean on all the friction surfaces to properly break in.
4. Probably will need to clean everything very thoroughly. A hose down with Brake Kleen should work fine as long as you can get at all the various surfaces.

If the bleeder is just loose, you might be able to modify some sort of wrench or tool to get to the fitting to tighten it but it will not be easy. But if there is fluid contamination on the clutch and the flywheel surfaces, I am not sure you will be able spray all of the surfaces as there is no removeable panel like on a C5. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

If the bleeder is broken which sometimes does happen, you will need to take it apart again. A lot of people prefer to use the Katech bleeder as it allows for more clearance and less prone to breaking.

It sucks but you don't want to half *** this job. Or you will be doing it all over again and replacing more parts.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 747 Likes on 551 Posts

Been there...
Speed bleeder elbow cracked from contact with the tunnel. Tried everything to avoid dropping it out again... no luck.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
If indeed the fluid is leaking from where the speed bleeder connects to the slave is very possible that it need to be tightened. The other possibility is that the bleeder broke off when during the re-install of the torque tube. Some people have had this problem with the Tick speed bleeder and I just checked and the Monster bleeder looks to be the same.

3. Risk from brake fluid is a fire. Slave should be fine. Yes, it will affect the clutch; the clutch needs to be very clean on all the friction surfaces to properly break in.
4. Probably will need to clean everything very thoroughly. A hose down with Brake Kleen should work fine as long as you can get at all the various surfaces.

If the bleeder is just loose, you might be able to modify some sort of wrench or tool to get to the fitting to tighten it but it will not be easy. But if there is fluid contamination on the clutch and the flywheel surfaces, I am not sure you will be able spray all of the surfaces as there is no removeable panel like on a C5. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

If the bleeder is broken which sometimes does happen, you will need to take it apart again. A lot of people prefer to use the Katech bleeder as it allows for more clearance and less prone to breaking.

It sucks but you don't want to half *** this job. Or you will be doing it all over again and replacing more parts.
Interesting Information, sounds extremely useful. What is the budget for replacements. Alternatively, it just may be labor. Wouldn't that be something!

Edit

I'm assuming you can still drive the clutch components, irregardless of what state, after salvage, no?
Seems like you *might* have to do it again so budget some time!

Last edited by Hitman227; 10-16-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117

Spaceme1117 is quite correct here.

I've never done it, but it is my understanding that it is possible to tighten the bleeder or clutch line from underneath without removing everything again. You might need to lower the engine cradle a bit. This is not an easy job in terms of access! That "might" fix your problem but you are taking big risk that the clutch is not contaminated.

Don't let this setback get you down. I've personally made a bunch of DIY mistakes but each one makes you a better mechanic and you still make out cost wise. Pro's make the same mistakes you just don't hear about it.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 778 Likes on 507 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
I just buttoned everything up in the interior and went to bleed the clutch after pulling everything involved in replacing the clutch. I kept getting air in the line attached to my new Monster speed bleeder, looked under the car and found a puddle of brake fluid on the ground. The bellhousing and the connection between the cats and mid pipe were dripping fluid. I'm sure the problem lies in where the speed bleeder goes into the slave.

My questions are now
1) Can I rectify this without dropping the entire rear cradle again?
2) Will pulling the intake allow me to access the connection so that it can be tightened?
3) What is at risk from all this brake fluid? Should I be concerned about the slave components or will they hold up? Is this going to affect my brand new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel?
4) Do I need to pull everything apart and clean it all?

I'm really disappointed as I've been busting my *** every waking moment for the last eight weeks trying to stay on top of my homework, make enough money for car parts, work on this huge job during every free moment I've had outside of work and school, and now I feel like I'm back to square one. Disappointed does not begin to describe my feeling at the moment.

Looking for any advice. I guess I'm most concerned with whether or not I need to pull everything apart ASAP to prevent any damage from corrosive brake fluid.
It's EXTREMELY tight up in there but I assure you it can be done. Something similar happened to me earlier this year, in that I wasn't sure which angle the speed bleeder should be at when putting everything back together so I left it loose with the plan to tighten it later but I ended up forgetting.

Assuming this is the same thing that happened to you (in that it's loose and not actually broken) you can still get up in there with a wrench to tighten it. You'll need to remove the mid pipe and tunnel plate and then it's just a case of patiently working a wrench up in there.
The following 2 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
kjcmusic17 (10-17-2019), schpenxel (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I'm gonna take it to a local shop and let them handle it. As aggravating as that is after doing the hardest part by myself, I just don't have the time or energy with the coming school projects I have on top of work. I definitely let my grades slip the past two weeks and I can't really afford that. Plus, I need to graduate so I can afford a C8 later on
Old 10-17-2019, 09:34 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I'm gonna take it to a local shop and let them handle it. As aggravating as that is after doing the hardest part by myself, I just don't have the time or energy with the coming school projects I have on top of work. I definitely let my grades slip the past two weeks and I can't really afford that. Plus, I need to graduate so I can afford a C8 later on
Just make sure they don't tell you the whole thing needs to come out again.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:36 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Well, I feel like it's worth checking the clutch disc to make sure it wasn't coated in brake fluid.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM
kjcmusic17
Instructor

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
It's EXTREMELY tight up in there but I assure you it can be done. Something similar happened to me earlier this year, in that I wasn't sure which angle the speed bleeder should be at when putting everything back together so I left it loose with the plan to tighten it later but I ended up forgetting.

Assuming this is the same thing that happened to you (in that it's loose and not actually broken) you can still get up in there with a wrench to tighten it. You'll need to remove the mid pipe and tunnel plate and then it's just a case of patiently working a wrench up in there.

This was the truth. Got it tightened up and now the clutch hydraulics are working great!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:36 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

This was the truth. Got it tightened up and now the clutch hydraulics are working great!
Well done, glad you got it sorted out.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Awesome!
How's the Clutch? Did it get infested?

Last edited by Hitman227; 10-23-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just finished my clutch replacement. Spraying clutch fluid.

Quick Reply: Just finished my clutch replacement. Spraying clutch fluid.