C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 c6 base build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Eapel
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2011 c6 base build

Getting ideas for my first mods to the new to me 2011 base c6 a6. Looking for input, opinions and any recommendations as this will be my first ls3 build and will be my daily driver. The following is what I have in mind so far.

CAI: halltech (which I'm leaning towards, only thing not pushing me over edge is price) or vararam (dont like what I've read in regards to fitment)

Headers: lg or kook with x pipe. Also thinking about texas speed headers but worried about quality over time, but I like the price.

Exhaust: think I've decided on the billy boat prt, I like the deep tones.

Ported throttle body: is it worth it?

Also any recommendations on where to take to get tuned in ky, I live close to louisville. Thank you in advance

Last edited by Eapel; 09-19-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:37 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Eapel
Getting ideas for my first mods to the new to me 2011 base c6 a6. Looking for input, opinions and any recommendations as this will be my first ls3 build and will be my daily driver. The following is what I have in mind so far.

CAI: halltech (which I'm leaning towards, only thing not pushing me over edge is price) or vararam (dont like what I've read in regards to fitment)

Headers: lg or kook with x pipe. Also thinking about texas speed headers but worried about quality over time, but I like the price.

Exhaust: think I've decided on the billy boat prt, I like the deep tones.

Ported throttle body: is it worth it?

Also any recommendations on where to take to get tuned in ky, I live close to louisville. Thank you in advance
does your car have the NPP exhaust? If you do pull the fuse and put headers on it you might find that it's sufficient and you can always reinstall the fuse for a nice quiet experience should the need require it.

Is it an automatic or manual? if it's an automatic consider a torque converter (if drag racing is a goal) and if it's a manual consider an MGW short throw shifter.

Also if you are looking for suspension improvements you could look at Z51 sway bars and Z06 shocks (or Bilsteins for a bit more money) and that will improve the handling significantly.

Finally, consider non-runflat tires if the ones you have are original (they are fairly old at this point) Alot of people really find that tires make a big difference on this car.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

By far... the biggest improvement you can make to a base Corvette per dollar spent is Z51 swaybars ($250) so the car no longer corners like a Cadillac. These can be added without sacrificing ride and are relatively cheap. They are easy for anyone to install and it takes about an hour.

Next up is Bilstein B8 shocks ($400) so the car no longer rides like a Cadillac and instead feels and handles like a sports car. Most anyone with a floor jack and tool set can install them in about 3 hours.

After those two items it depends on what else you want, but those are the must do items in my book.

If the car has NPP exhaust a mild to wild switch ($70) is a popular addition and takes 5 minutes to install.

A throttle controller ($100) is also a popular addition and takes about 15 minutes to install.

That's where I would start... YMMV
The following users liked this post:
2008 Corvette (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 PM
Eapel
Advanced

Got an automatic so the wife can drive it too (she loves the car more than me). I have the base so it did not come with the npp which is why I'm looking at the Billy boat prt exhuast. I will definitely look into the sway bar. And given the relative cheapness of the shocks may look into that as well. I was originally trying to keep my budget at 3k but looks like I'll easily reach 5k with everything (Paid 24k for my 11 with 23 clicks so it's tough bullet to bite) My factory wheels have new tires on them but looking at switching out for some TSW wheels going 265 front and 305 in the back (will swap setup for the colder months). So my main plan right now is to do headers, x pipe, exhaust, intake and sway bar. Won't be a drag car but will be daily driver for the most part.
wideglideleon (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:42 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,128 Likes on 771 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My base 09 came with npp. If you have a 3LT optioned car you should have HUD and npp among other things.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:00 AM
Eapel
Advanced

No heated seats, hud or npp exhuast.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:05 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 959 Posts

You don't HAVE to buy everything new. Lots of the items you're looking for come up for sale quite often in the parts for sale section. You can save a lot of money by ditching the high dollar axle back and find a used set of NPP, Z06, or ZR1 bi mode mufflers. I'm running ZR1 mufflers (bought used on the forum for $500) and they are nice and quiet at cruise and will raise the dead at WOT. Z06 mufflers can be had for $300. I bought my Vararam new in a box off the forum for $250. Guy bought it, then decided he needed a supercharger and never installed it. Bought litely used Z06 shocks for cheap off the forum.

Bob at House of Wheels has some really nice looking wheel options for a narrow body C6. Both OE and aftermarket. I think I paid around $700 for C7 black Z06 replicas in C6 narrow body sizes. You can put the 305/265 tire combo on stock narrow body rims also.

A ported throttle body doesn't cost much and is said to increase throttle response. I have one, but couldn't tell any difference because I did the ported throttle body, heads, cam, and all the bolt ons at the same time. Did the Z51 sways and Z06 shocks at that time too.

Save a few bucks here and there and you can afford to do more stupid **** to your Vette! Damn it's fun though...

wideglideleon (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:45 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You don't HAVE to buy everything new. Lots of the items you're looking for come up for sale quite often in the parts for sale section. You can save a lot of money by ditching the high dollar axle back and find a used set of NPP, Z06, or ZR1 bi mode mufflers. I'm running ZR1 mufflers (bought used on the forum for $500) and they are nice and quiet at cruise and will raise the dead at WOT. Z06 mufflers can be had for $300. I bought my Vararam new in a box off the forum for $250. Guy bought it, then decided he needed a supercharger and never installed it. Bought litely used Z06 shocks for cheap off the forum.

Bob at House of Wheels has some really nice looking wheel options for a narrow body C6. Both OE and aftermarket. I think I paid around $700 for C7 black Z06 replicas in C6 narrow body sizes. You can put the 305/265 tire combo on stock narrow body rims also.

A ported throttle body doesn't cost much and is said to increase throttle response. I have one, but couldn't tell any difference because I did the ported throttle body, heads, cam, and all the bolt ons at the same time. Did the Z51 sways and Z06 shocks at that time too.

Save a few bucks here and there and you can afford to do more stupid **** to your Vette! Damn it's fun though...
Not everything needs to be new, even if you buy the car new. However, I feel it's even more fun when you buy/install one thing at a time and can feel/see the difference, plus get the individual satisfaction. Case in point was for a ported TB. I made 2 passes at the track, then changed the TB and made 2 more. I felt no change and the timeslips confirmed it. After a couple months, I let a friend use it on his M6 Vette and he seemed to think there was a difference. Maybe it's me or maybe the A6 softens the impact.

I'm far more of a performance guy than an appearance one, but looking back over nearly all my mods, the Vararam and TC's were the only ones I bought new. I guess that makes me either a cheap *** or frugal, even though I bought the car new.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM
MysteryMob
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 128 Posts

If you want to spend more, throw on a blower. If you want to keep it mild, headers, tune, and a catback.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:49 PM
Eapel
Advanced

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
If you want to spend more, throw on a blower. If you want to keep it mild, headers, tune, and a catback.
yeah think I'm going to keep it mild
Old 09-25-2020, 10:03 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome. Chiming in to follow this thread.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:42 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

I put a set of the Billy Boat PRT’s on my 11’ base and I’m happy with them. They do have a nice deep throaty sound but I personally wouldn’t mind it to be a little louder. I am going to do long tubes and a cam eventually tho so that should fix the loudness.
My car is stock also, I think my next mods will be Z51 sway bars and Z06 shocks. After that prob will upgrade the brake pads/rotors. Then prob tires.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 c6 base build

Quick Reply: 2011 c6 base build