C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 2012 z06 npp fit my base 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 12:08 AM
Holzy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 2012 z06 npp fit my base 2008

Sorry but I've searched this forum for hours on this subject and haven't found the answer yet. I have access to a complete npp exhaust system, headers to tips, off a 2012 z06 with 3" pipes. Would it be possible to install the npp mufflers on my 2008 base automatic with 2.5" H pipe? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2012' muffler piping bend is slightly different and I might have to use a 2.5" H pipe from a 2012' and reducer from the muffler 3"-2.5". I really don't want to go aftermarket. Thanks for you thoughts and suggestions
Old 09-28-2020, 11:16 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Holzy
Sorry but I've searched this forum for hours on this subject and haven't found the answer yet. I have access to a complete npp exhaust system, headers to tips, off a 2012 z06 with 3" pipes. Would it be possible to install the npp mufflers on my 2008 base automatic with 2.5" H pipe? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2012' muffler piping bend is slightly different and I might have to use a 2.5" H pipe from a 2012' and reducer from the muffler 3"-2.5". I really don't want to go aftermarket. Thanks for you thoughts and suggestions
If you have the complete Z exhaust system from the cylinder heads all the way back, it's a bolt on proposition. Use all of it. I think you have to clearance one of the over the axle pipes to get around the auto trans. Maybe someone will chime in with a picture where the pipe needs to be modded.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Holzy
Cruising

Thanks old Motorhead. I thought the heads on the z06 were different from the LS3 rendering a different match for the manifolds. Maybe different size exhaust ports like the oval and round port heads on the big blocks of the 60's,,, 7.0L vs 6.2L. Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2020, 01:41 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 953 Posts

Yeah, the complete exhaust, including the Z manifolds, works well with LS3 engines. It is a popular upgrade. Not quite as good as long tube headers, but close. Lots of guys do it especially if they are in a state where annual inspections require a stock appearing exhaust system. It would require a very educated eye to tell the difference.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You've mixed the terminology so much, along with the actual part identification, it's hard to tell what you're trying to accomplish.
There is no "complete npp system" or "headers" on a "2012 z06", which does, in fact, have 3" pipes, nor does a 2008 base have an "H pipe".

I assume what you have found is an OEM full exhaust system from the engine to the tips that came from a 2012 Z06 and you want to install it on your 2008 base. So here's the simple and most economical method to do it, including the method that produces the most power.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602020843
You can use '11-'13 Z06 parts, but substitute "X" pipe for "H" pipe in the description and just pick a reference point to mark and use as the measurement to the hanger, since the "X" doesn't have the same easy to measure point as the "H" does.

Then do this to adapt the Z06 muffler to your current '08 2.5" pipe, that will provide the correct clearances and connect to your current (and after modified) hanger back portion of your original "X" pipe.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598861189

This can all happen with the exception of the welding, while on jackstands in your garage.

Everything I mentioned is the exact same method I used when I did it to my '08 A6 car years ago, and the same method that I've helped friends do theirs.
It works.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Holzy
Cruising

Outstanding HOXXOH! I searched for hours for the information you provided me. Thank you! I will probably go with the easy. Keep original over the axel 2.5" pipes and weld them to the z06 mufflers. That way is less work and I won't have to mess with sensors. I'm not looking for any extra hp just a little better sound. I don't think it will need retuning doing it that way either. I guess I'll also have to buy a " npp in a box" right?
Old 09-29-2020, 01:54 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Outstanding HOXXOH! I searched for hours for the information you provided me. Thank you! I will probably go with the easy. Keep original over the axel 2.5" pipes and weld them to the z06 mufflers. That way is less work and I won't have to mess with sensors. I'm not looking for any extra hp just a little better sound. I don't think it will need retuning doing it that way either. I guess I'll also have to buy a " npp in a box" right?
Yes on the NPP in a box and yes on needing better search terms too.
You can possibly get away without a tune, but a tune along with the entire system will net about 30 HP over what you currently have.
When I ran that, along with a CAI, 3600 stall converter, ported IM, & DR's, I managed a best of 10.82 @ 125+ in the 1/4 mi.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 AM
Holzy
Cruising

Wow,, nice times. My days of producing hp are over. I was a wrench on a ProStocker in the early 80's and built many of my friends motors in the late 60's when I was a master tech for Chevrolet. Now, I just want to cruise in my ride that has enough ball's when's I want it and a decent sound to my exhaust. Life is good! Thanks again for all your advice

Get notified of new replies

To Will 2012 z06 npp fit my base 2008

Quick Reply: Will 2012 z06 npp fit my base 2008