C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS M6 Z06 manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 09:09 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts
Default 2011 GS M6 Z06 manifolds

I have a stock 2011 M6 GS NPP and considering the Z06 manifold upgrade. With Z06 manifolds I like not having to tune out rear sensors and no issues with fuel smells(based on what I've read).

I'm a bit confused on which Z06 manifolds are ideal and which one will actually work on my car. Are the manifolds all the same? I'm considering beginning to collect Z06 manifold parts. Does my GS have 2.5" or 3"?

Also, to further complicate things it seems that Z06 manifolds tend to be sold separate from cats and "X pipe" or "Y pipe". It would be awesome if I knew the components I needed. While any Z06 manifold bolt up to any Cat?

I'm uncertain of future mods. SC or baby cam/CIA is possible but I'm wanting ro keep things as simple as possible.

Any advise is welcome and I appreciate the help.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I just did the full Z06 exhaust swap on my 13 GS. The stock GS exhaust is 2 1/2", while the Z system is 3". I have posted pictures of the size difference of the manifold collectors alone, it is night and day. The best bet is to buy a set of manifolds and cats together, they do come up for sale but do not last long. If you do find a complete system it is pretty much a bolt in swap for 6MN cars, autos may require a little massaging of the over axle pipes. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 07-16-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:56 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I just did the full Z06 exhaust swap on my 13 GS. The stock GS exhaust is 2 1/2", while the Z system is 3". I have posted pictures of the size difference of the manifold collectors alone, it is night and day. The best bet is to buy a set of manifolds and cats together, they do come up for sale but do not last long. If you do find a complete system it is pretty much a bolt in swap for 6MN cars, autos may require a little massaging of the over axle pipes. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
Thanks for the info. So, manifolds bolts to the cats and then the cat pipes bolt to my existing X pipe or do I need the Z06 X pipe too?
Old 07-17-2021, 12:31 PM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 107 Posts

Good luck finding the cats. The Z06 mid-pipe is an H up until 2011, I think. Then it became an X-pipe. I don't think it matters a ton, though. I think you could get an aftermarket X-pipe for the Z06 exhaust if you are hell bent on the X over H. Yes, you need a Z06 mid-pipe for the Z06 cats since the Z06 parts are larger diameter.

Last edited by Solaris; 07-17-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:19 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solaris
Good luck finding the cats. The Z06 mid-pipe is an H up until 2011, I think. Then it became an X-pipe. I don't think it matters a ton, though. I think you could get an aftermarket X-pipe for the Z06 exhaust if you are hell bent on the X over H. Yes, you need a Z06 mid-pipe for the Z06 cats since the Z06 parts are larger diameter.
So when folks say "cats" are they talking about the pipe that connects to the large mouth of the manifold? If so, then there is no point purchasing the manifold if I don't have the hard to find Z06 cat pipes. I assume there are no alternatives to the cat pipes?

I don't know that I care about H vs X pipe. I mentioned X because that's what my car currently has. I don't know the pros and cons of H vs X.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:31 PM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rybern
So when folks say "cats" are they talking about the pipe that connects to the large mouth of the manifold? If so, then there is no point purchasing the manifold if I don't have the hard to find Z06 cat pipes. I assume there are no alternatives to the cat pipes?

I don't know that I care about H vs X pipe. I mentioned X because that's what my car currently has. I don't know the pros and cons of H vs X.
Yes. There are 4 main component sections. Manifolds > cats > x/h pipe > mufflers. None of the Z06 parts fit any of the GS/base parts. Summit Racing has Magnaflow cats that are listed for the Z06, but they are $1,000 each. I think H vs X is lower vs higher RPM advantage.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:44 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Yes. There are 4 main component sections. Manifolds > cats > x/h pipe > mufflers. None of the Z06 parts fit any of the GS/base parts. Summit Racing has Magnaflow cats that are listed for the Z06, but they are $1,000 each. I think H vs X is lower vs higher RPM advantage.
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I need to research C6 z06 manifold/cat differences.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I need to research C6 z06 manifold/cat differences.
It's frustrating, especially if you want to go boosted at some point. The regular high flow cats on long tube header setups end up melting or dislodging with boost. Green cats on Kooks work well for boost, but are expensive and may not hold up if you intend to have the gas pedal to the floor a lot. Shorty headers that bolt up to your existing cats are supposedly a waste. Fabricating the pipes with generic cats could be done, but that's probably not cost effective. I don't know what the Z06/ZR1 folks are doing with their cat sections.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:34 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

It's frustrating, especially if you want to go boosted at some point. The regular high flow cats on long tube header setups end up melting or dislodging with boost. Green cats on Kooks work well for boost, but are expensive and may not hold up if you intend to have the gas pedal to the floor a lot. Shorty headers that bolt up to your existing cats are supposedly a waste. Fabricating the pipes with generic cats could be done, but that's probably not cost effective. I don't know what the Z06/ZR1 folks are doing with their cat sections.
I have a lot to learn. I can see why some folks keep their cars stock and be content.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:35 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Here are some side by side pics for comparison.

GS on the left, Z on the right.

Ditto.

Z on the left, GS on the right.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 07-17-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:32 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Thank you for those pictures. That's very helpful.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:27 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I don't know what the Z06/ZR1 folks are doing with their cat sections.
The problem is recyclers are buying up used catalytic converters like crazy now. Used to be, you could find used cats for a C6 for nothing, now they cost serious money. I looked for months to find a spare set for my ZR1 and just happened onto them on the forum one day and jumped on them for ~$500. When I did the Z06 manifolds, cats and H-pipe on my previous '13 GS probably 5-6 years ago, I think I spent $300 for all the parts. I had a local shop install them and connect them to my factory NPP exhaust and really loved it.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:58 PM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
The problem is recyclers are buying up used catalytic converters like crazy now.
I figured that was the case. They aren't priced high enough to chase away the recyclers.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:37 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I installed a complete ZR1 setup (3") on my M6 Grand Sport, front to rear. Did it at home in the garage. You should at least get the first three pieces, Your 2 1/2" over the axel pipes (mufflers) can be made to work by a muffler shop. They can adapt them from 3" on the X or H pipe to 2 1/2" for the mufflers. The NPP 2 1/2" or Dual Tone 3" mufflers sell quickly and are harder to find than just the first three parts of the system. You can just use your 2 1/2 " NPP and have them adapted at the muffler shop. Put a WTB add up on the forum. Good Luck and I hope you can find some.

chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 07-19-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:04 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
I installed a complete ZR1 setup (3") on my M6 Grand Sport, front to rear. Did it at home in the garage. You should at least get the first three pieces, Your 2 1/2" over the axel pipes (mufflers) can be made to work by a muffler shop. They can adapt them from 3" on the X or H pipe to 2 1/2" for the mufflers. The NPP 2 1/2" or Dual Tone 3" mufflers sell quickly and are harder to find than just the first three parts of the system. You can just use your 2 1/2 " NPP and have them adapted at the muffler shop. Put a WTB add up on the forum. Good Luck and I hope you can find some.

chuck
Thanks for the info and suggestions Chuck.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Why are there so many Z06 manifolds for sale but so few cats for sale? I mean it's not like folks are going to sell the manifolds but use the cats, right? Am I missing something?
Old 07-19-2021, 11:34 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Why are there so many Z06 manifolds for sale but so few cats for sale? I mean it's not like folks are going to sell the manifolds but use the cats, right? Am I missing something?
The price for used cats is through the roof right now. I actually have an extra set that I was going to keep as spares for my car, but I might just throw a crazy price on them and see if they sell.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS M6 Z06 manifolds

Old 07-20-2021, 07:21 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
The price for used cats is through the roof right now. I actually have an extra set that I was going to keep as spares for my car, but I might just throw a crazy price on them and see if they sell.
Ah, that's what Evan was saying. Now I get it. Folks are getting more scrapping them then what a C6 owner will pay. I missed that detail. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:35 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

A tune isn't required after installing 06 manifolds, cats and H pipe, right? This is assuming thst the cats are not "cleaned out".

I've received quite a few responses from my WTB post. Apparently, there are quite a few folks that have these parts laying around.

I began looking at headers again before committing to a purchase.... but there's just quite a bit to like about the Z06 manifold setup.... especially if there is really 15-20 rwhp to gain. Some say 15 w/o a tune and 20 with a tune.

Last edited by rybern; 07-20-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:19 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

A tune isn't required after installing 06 manifolds, cats and H pipe, right? This is assuming thst the cats are not "cleaned out".

I've received quite a few responses from my WTB post. Apparently, there are quite a few folks that have these parts laying around.

I began looking at headers again before committing to a purchase.... but there's just quite a bit to like about the Z06 manifold setup.... especially if there is really 15-20 rwhp to gain. Some say 15 w/o a tune and 20 with a tune.
I did have my car tuned after the swap, but it is not 100% necessary. My tuner (ECS) did say that GM did not leave too much on the table with these engines. You can get big HP numbers at the expense of driveability and longevity, but I wanted both from my car. The old fashioned "butt dyno" did notice a big difference after all was said and done, but I did have the throttle tables corrected to eliminate the lag present from the factory.
I was always planning to go FI with this car, but after the work I have done so far I might just do a heads/cam/etc and call it a day.

Quick Reply: 2011 GS M6 Z06 manifolds