C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06+ BCM vs 05 BCM differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 12:36 PM
sjuliani88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06+ BCM vs 05 BCM differences

We all know that these bcms have been discontinued by GM and for the 05 owners an already dwindling used supply is made much harder for the fact that 06+ bcm are not interchangeable outright

I tend to believe that gm did not fully revise a bcm after just one year to something completely different (at least wen it comes to the hardware ) especially when the 05 was the first of the c6 generation, the 06-13 bcms ive swapped over through a bunch of cars without a single issue, so i believe the MAIN difference between the 05 and the 06+ is how they interacts with the power functions to the E40 ECM vs the E38.

im trying to figure out what the extend of the hardware difference is between the 05 bcm vs the 06+.

ive swapped over a bcm from a 06+ vette on a 05, was able to program the bcm using tds and then programmed the key but now when ignition is in run mode the bcm does not toggle the ecm run relay, meaning no fuel no crank hence useless. and here lies the difference that im trying to figure out if the 05 bcm is truly different internally or is it just the software.

the 05 is the only year with the E40 ecm, i compared the wiring diagram for power, ground and communication wires which all seem to be the same between the 05 and the 06+. Visually the bcms look identical and the fact that i was able to program a 06+ bcm to the rcdlr then program a key leads me to believe the differences isnt extensive maybe just a software difference.

Does anyone have a bad/core 05 bcm they can send me? or better yet disassemble it and send me photos of the circuit boards? i want to make a visual comparison of the internals (chips, prongs etc) i have a core 06+ that ive broken down and from what ive been told the 05 has at least the same 95080 eeprom
Any help would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 06+ BCM vs 05 BCM differences