C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam is the best in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:56 PM
dino077
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam is the best in your opinion

Hi sorry for the noob question i have a 2009 c6 base model ls3 and its stock besides borla exhaust and varam snake charmer intake and i wanna cam it soon but i want the one that puts the most power down and sounds crazy so if you guys could help me that would be great
Old 04-21-2024, 07:47 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

Any of the stage 3 or 4 cams will suit you just fine. A cam that has a name would be better yet. They all make good power and sound crazy.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:36 PM
dadsbadhabit
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Having this conversation with the person that is going to end up tuning it and or doing the work would be the smart thing to do.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:18 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 166 Posts

i believe the Cam Motion LLSR is the best but its pricey because of all the suppoerting mods needed
Old 04-22-2024, 11:31 AM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 56 Posts

As always: what do you want to do with it? What are you trying to accomplish here?
Also, manual or auto transmission? Are you in a jurisdiction where emissions will be a problem?
Old 04-22-2024, 07:05 PM
asd_srt
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

There is no "Best" cam (well there is the sloppy best cam) but other than that there's no best cam for anything. I would get with whoever is going to tune it and go over what you actually want. If there was a best cam companies wouldn't offer multiple cams for the same engine combo. You'd be surprised how well smaller cams do. I'd say 90% of people over cam their car and end up being disappointed. I've had plenty of people buy the biggest thing they could find and end up hating how it drives, hating everything about it and when we put a smaller cam in it actually drives better, makes more average power, and goes faster. Remember peak power is a single RPM, I'll take the smaller cam that makes more average power over the big cam that makes more peak power.

The following 4 users liked this post by asd_srt:
Kevin Mason (04-24-2024), rc51racer (04-25-2024), sevinn (04-24-2024), StayinStock (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 05:55 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by asd_srt
There is no "Best" cam (well there is the sloppy best cam) but other than that there's no best cam for anything. I would get with whoever is going to tune it and go over what you actually want. If there was a best cam companies wouldn't offer multiple cams for the same engine combo. You'd be surprised how well smaller cams do. I'd say 90% of people over cam their car and end up being disappointed. I've had plenty of people buy the biggest thing they could find and end up hating how it drives, hating everything about it and when we put a smaller cam in it actually drives better, makes more average power, and goes faster. Remember peak power is a single RPM, I'll take the smaller cam that makes more average power over the big cam that makes more peak power.
This! Well said, no one best or right cam... its all application dependent. First you need to ask what your goal is and what your willing to sacrafice, then you need to talk to a tuner to find out which profile fits those needs the best.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:55 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,317 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by dino077
Hi sorry for the noob question i have a 2009 c6 base model ls3 and its stock besides borla exhaust and varam snake charmer intake and i wanna cam it soon but i want the one that puts the most power down and sounds crazy so if you guys could help me that would be great
If your car is an automatic transmission, then the Cam Motion LS3 Titan 1 is the largest you should go.

If your car is a manual transmission, then either the Cam Motion Titan 3 would be good.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:09 AM
asd_srt
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
If your car is an automatic transmission, then the Cam Motion LS3 Titan 1 is the largest you should go.

If your car is a manual transmission, then either the Cam Motion Titan 3 would be good.
Your wording makes it sound like an auto can't fit a larger cam. If it's an auto the stock converter sucks for a stock cam. But the titan 3 will 100% fit in the autos too it's the same engine it just won't drive great with a stock torque converter.

But OP never said what he wants from the car so the titan cams might not be the best bet. If he wants a cam for the sound the cam motion pd blower cams drive fine on the stock converter, so do their centrifugal blower cams, plus some of the btr cams like the red hot, stage 1/2 centrifugal supercharged cams, the older ls3 stage 1, and stage 2 work fine with the stock converter. Everyone is going to have a stock converter selection of cams. That doesn't mean they'll be the best performing though.

That being said the stock converter doesn't drive great with a stock cam. I'd take a stock cam with an aftermarket converter car over a aftermarket cammed stock converter car all day.
The following users liked this post:
StayinStock (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:15 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've had great luck with the BTR stage 2 n/a on a stock convertor but I agree, its not ideal. A small stall would def help it.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:35 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

for Cam alone get ready to spend 6 to 8 k at a good shop

Get notified of new replies

To What cam is the best in your opinion

Quick Reply: What cam is the best in your opinion