C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC pressure question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 08:47 AM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Default AC pressure question.

When the car is in the 215* range and it’s hot out, AC comes out less cold. On the low pressure side it reads 31 - 30 psi. I know the upper bound is 57 and the low is 22. Do I need to add more refrigerant? AC blows ice cubes the minute I start moving again and the temperature drops.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:09 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,145 Likes on 713 Posts

Don't need refrigerant, unless you have a leak. Do you?

I would check your radiator fan. It is what draws air across the condenser when stopped. It should be roaring like a freight train when car is hot with ac on.

A known issue is a burnt connector in the fan plug from the fan module. On full power, the fan draws a buttload of amps leading to melting of the connector.

The first notice of my melted plug was when the ac started blowing hot when stopped on a beautiful 100 degree day.... 200 miles from home
The following users liked this post:
LoSloZ06 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 09:25 AM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Don't need refrigerant, unless you have a leak. Do you?

I would check your radiator fan. It is what draws air across the condenser when stopped. It should be roaring like a freight train when car is hot with ac on.

A known issue is a burnt connector in the fan plug from the fan module. On full power, the fan draws a buttload of amps leading to melting of the connector.

The first notice of my melted plug was when the ac started blowing hot when stopped on a beautiful 100 degree day.... 200 miles from home
Thanks for the response. fans are good, just had the car tuned, but I will be deleting the clip for this reason. I should note this wasn’t when the fans are at 100*. Car doesn’t overheat, the AC just gets weaker at those temps. Does anyone have a scale at what pressure should be at hot? I’m using AC Pro autozone special (I know. I know) and am just wondering if I need to charge the system slightly?

what pressure are y’all seeing when the car is at operating temps?
Old 05-26-2024, 12:04 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Originally Posted by LoSloZ06
Thanks for the response. fans are good, just had the car tuned, but I will be deleting the clip for this reason. I should note this wasn’t when the fans are at 100*. Car doesn’t overheat, the AC just gets weaker at those temps. Does anyone have a scale at what pressure should be at hot? I’m using AC Pro autozone special (I know. I know) and am just wondering if I need to charge the system slightly?

what pressure are y’all seeing when the car is at operating temps?
To check the AC Performance you need to know the ambient temp and relative humidity...then check the chart for your high and low side pressures...if AC improves at speed I'd look for a condenser and or radiator that may be clogged with debris...if you have a leak fix the leak first then add refrigerant...those AC Pro bottles should not be used...too much refrigerant is just as bad as too little....you don't use pressure to figure out how much refrigerant is needed.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 05-26-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:23 PM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
To check the AC Performance you need to know the ambient temp and relative humidity...then check the chart for your high and low side pressures...if AC improves at speed I'd look for a condenser and radiator that may be clogged with debris...if you have a leak fix the leak first then add refrigerant...those AC Pro bottles should not be used...too much refrigerant is just as bad as too little....you don't use pressure to figure out how much refrigerant is needed.

TY! Yes last year I fixed a leak on the low side port, I was on the road so picked up a AC Pro to charge it - so the charge is not exact.

Are those ranges impacted by engine temp? Obviously, the pressure increases as the temps increase.

thank you again
Old 05-26-2024, 12:36 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,762 Posts

TY! Yes last year I fixed a leak on the low side port, I was on the road so picked up a AC Pro to charge it - so the charge is not exact.

Are those ranges impacted by engine temp? Obviously, the pressure increases as the temps increase.

thank you again

It is based on outside air temperature and not engine temperature.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:13 PM
07BlackBlack
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In addition to C5Diag's very good info, it's pretty cheap to have a shop Recover and Weigh the charge (the only way to do the correct amount of refrigerant), and also replace the valve stems in the ports, which if they are disturbed and not replaced they can definitely have a tiny leak.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:33 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 117 Posts

thank you again
Make sure you tell the ac guy it has the off thr shelf stuff in it. That **** ruins the machine if they use the pure refrigerant one. It requires a recovery machine specific for contaminated refrigerant

Get notified of new replies

To AC pressure question.

Quick Reply: AC pressure question.