C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duke, it's time to create your legacy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duke, it's time to create your legacy

I realize that this is presumptuous and out of line for a variety of reasons, but I can’t take it anymore. I’ve read Duke’s educational and interesting posts for some time now, and I think its time for the book “Corvette Design 101-201 by Duke.

Lots of people know something about cars, but Duke knows cars in depth, and he has the ability to explain things at a level that is appropriate to the average CorvetteForum reader. He’s enough of an educator to take that average reader and raise the understanding several levels. Duke has passion for the subject and his postings are always enjoyable reads. It’s time for the book!

There is no reason Duke couldn’t produce the technical equivalent of ACAR. I think it would be a real contribution to the Corvette (and other auto enthusiast) community. If you think so, log on and say so.

Phil Zivnuska

P.S. I apologize to Duke for volunteering him for such a huge task that he may have no interest in pursuing. Please forgive my possibly errant but well-intentioned post.

P.P.S. I wrote this 2 weeks ago and didn’t post it then because I thought this idea might go away if I ignored it long enough. That didn’t work.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:04 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: Duke, it's time to create your legacy (Zivnuska)

I concur ! :cheers:
Old 02-09-2004, 10:39 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think it is a cool idea, but I also think Duke would want more insider information like James Schefter got while writing ACAR. I think it would be an undertaking that would require a considerable amount of time and I remember Mr. Schefter's comments about the time he spent.

Todd
Old 02-09-2004, 01:44 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Publishing a book for the first time is a tough proposition. For sure a good agent is required, but there are other avenues.

I have published a 250,000 word portfolio on the history and technology of the Cosworth Vega through the Cosworth Vega Owner's Association, but that car was only built for two years with only minor changes, so one could get their hands around the whole subject.

The history and technology of the Corvette is much longer and more complex, and there are some good works out there. For sure Ludvisgen's "Corvette: Americas Star Spangled Sports Car" provides excellent coverage of the first 25 years, and McLellan's book along with ACAR follow up through the next 20 years. I hope Dave Hill writes a book when he retires!

In the meantime, I'll continue to write articles for NCRS' "The Corvette Restorer", and post to various Corvette Web forums. I helped edit "Corvette Show Cars and Prototypes", and "The Ultimate Corvette Trivia Challenge.

Duke
Old 02-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Duke, it's time to create your legacy (SWCDuke)

Just do an OHV vs. OHC book. Use lots of pictures and small words, so that the OHC guys can understand.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Low Flight
Melting Slicks

:iagree: absolutely!!! :thumbs:
Old 02-09-2004, 08:46 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Duke, it's time to create your legacy (Scissors)

Just do an OHV vs. OHC book. Use lots of pictures and small words, so that the OHC guys can understand.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Both engines have their place, and I am a fan of both. My two favorite engines are vintage mechanical lifter Special High Performance small blocks and the Cosworth Vega Twin Cam. Of course, I own one of each. I would like to have a vintage Ferrari with a SOHC Columbo V-12 and a six-pack of twin-choke Webers, but they're a little too pricey and finnicky for my taste.

I am a big fan of the LSX series, too, and there is probably a LS2 or even LS7 in my future. :)

Duke
Old 02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Please don't dismiss the idea out of hand. Let it simmer for a while. My guess is that you would love the opportunity to drive a stake through the heart of a handful of misconceptions, myths and outright nonsense.

You've got one foot in the world of scholarship and the other with those of us in the unwashed masses!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:42 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I would think You, Duke would have great success publishing a tech book called “getting the most out of your corvette vol 1, 63-67”.

Chapter 1 – Vacuum advance and why you need it on the street.
Chapter 2 –Service tips, oil recomendation, coolant, lube, adjustments
Chapter 3 – Chassis tuning, suspension etc.
Chapter 4 – tires and brakes.
Chapter 5 – Carb Tuning
Chapter 6 – Distributors
Chapter 7 – Fuel injection
Chapter 8 – Engine Rebuild for the street

I know there are allot of books like this out there, but a corvette specific guide would be a great companion for the service manual and the AIM.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:29 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Duke, it's time to create your legacy (ghostrider20)

:iagree: :yesnod: :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 02-16-2004, 06:07 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Publishing a book for the first time is a tough proposition. For sure a good agent is required, but there are other avenues.
Duke
Yes it is, however I had a friend of mine that did just that. He did most of the work on his own and was highly sucessful with it. My three kids were mentioned in his work. All the best if you attempt it.

Get notified of new replies

To Duke, it's time to create your legacy

Quick Reply: Duke, it's time to create your legacy