C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Suspension Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
73VetteMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Suspension Spring Rates

Can anyone find out the actual spring rates of the available base, F55, and Z51 suspensions on the 2005 C6?

I have seen reports that the Z51 springs are 11% stiffer than base.

It appears that the F55 might have the same rates as base suspension, except with the addition of electronically controlled shocks.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:00 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

F55 uses the same springs and bars as the base suspension

Base ride frequencies are about 1.0/1.2 Hz - whatever spring rates it takes to get those frequencies. Z51 frequencies are about 10 percent hilgher.

Duke
Old 10-03-2004, 06:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
F55 uses the same springs and bars as the base suspension

Base ride frequencies are about 1.0/1.2 Hz - whatever spring rates it takes to get those frequencies. Z51 frequencies are about 10 percent hilgher.

Duke
Yes the F-55 uses the base suspension except is uses those $500 to $750 a shock.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 AM
73VetteMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE F55 RIDE IN "TOUR" MUST BE SIMILAR TO BASE!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Yes the F-55 uses the base suspension except is uses those $500 to $750 a shock.

That confirms my suspicion that the $1695 M55 option is nothing more than an electronic shock absorber system. If the spring rate and stabilizer bar is the same as the base suspension, the ride of the F55 in "tour" position should be very similar to that of the base system. I am assuming that the shock rate of the M55 in "tour" mode is slightly softer than the base rate.

I guess the only real advantage to F55 would be for people who need a dual purpose car - one for cruise and one that fakes performance ability with a stiffer ride. There is no question in my mind that the Z51 with better brakes, tires, gearing, and oil coolers is the clear choice for performance.

It appears to me that people who are only concened about a soft riding car could save a lot of money now, and expensive repairs in the future, by ordering the base suspension.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 73VetteMan
That confirms my suspicion that the $1695 M55 option is nothing more than an electronic shock absorber system. If the spring rate and stabilizer bar is the same as the base suspension, the ride of the F55 in "tour" position should be very similar to that of the base system. I am assuming that the shock rate of the M55 in "tour" mode is slightly softer than the base rate.

I guess the only real advantage to F55 would be for people who need a dual purpose car - one for cruise and one that fakes performance ability with a stiffer ride. There is no question in my mind that the Z51 with better brakes, tires, gearing, and oil coolers is the clear choice for performance.

It appears to me that people who are only concened about a soft riding car could save a lot of money now, and expensive repairs in the future, by ordering the base suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Suspension Spring Rates

Quick Reply: C6 Suspension Spring Rates