C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 11:20 AM
thebiggman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Sound.

With 2600 + miles on the car, I'm starting to notice a ticking sound coming from the engine. At idle its like tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick tick tick....kind of like if you were tapping the tip of a ball point pin on a glass table. It is very rythemic at idle and picks up tempo as the revs increase. I can also hear it when cruising at highway speeds in 6th gear. I've raised the hood with it idling and the sound seems to be coming from under the head covers. I don't know if it has been doing this the whole time, but I've really started noticing this about a week ago. Anybody have any ideas what this is?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:40 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

Look down at the lower belt tensioner pulley in the front of the motor. You will need a flashlight to see it. If it's bouncing, you need to get the car to a shop asap before the crank pulley gets loose enough to throw the serpentine belt. I heard mine and saw the tensioner pulley bounce but didn't make it to the dealership before the belt came off. There is a GM fix for the crank pulley if that's the source of your noise.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ticking Noise

I heard the ticking right before the serpentine belt shredded the first time the crank pulley let go. The second time there was no ticking, just the crank pulley loosening and moving into the steering rack. No damage I just noticed the vibration from the pulley/rack contact in the steering wheel and shut down the motor, pulled over and coasted to a stop. The GM fix seems good so far @ 1600 miles. The full throttle shifts since then have produced no further failures.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

I have the same problem. I was just going to post the same question. You explained the noise perfectly! I never locked it that area?

I did have a belt break 5,000 miles ago so it really may be my cause. I've driven 5,000 with only a tick sound so either I've been lucky or it's a different problem. Mine also seems to become louder once the car is warm. The hotter outside the greater the chance of the tick becoming more noticable. Mine only starts ticking once I hit the gas peddle.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:50 PM
D-Train
Instructor

Wow this is weird, I was out with the wife tonight when I heard the noise. I was going to describe it something like when my son puts a playing card in the spokes of his bike, but I think it is what you guys are talking about. It only is heard when the throttle is depressed. I have 1010 miles on the car Havent changed he oil as of yet that was going to be this week. the correction you discussed is it permanent, or temp.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

Mine sounds like a card in the tire spoke as well! I''m going to check. I believe my noise is under the engine. It would be much easier to find it the car was on a lift.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Vespa-Vette
Racer

Those of you that will be check your car, please post back and let us know if it is, indeed, the crank pulley that you are hearing.

I ocassionally hear the ticking and I have 2,800 miles on the car (it's two weeks old). I'll try to check in the next few days and post an update.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:37 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default There are Lots of Different Clicking noises.

I did not mean to say that every clicking noise you all hear is the same as mine that has failed.(Mine actually failed 2 times once at 560 miles and once at 770 miles). The last I heard as far as Chevy says there were only 3 vehicles that had this problem.

As far as is it a permenant fix? Yes that is what I was told by my dealer. I now have 1900 miles on the car and since it's return I feel I have pretty much tested the limits, it appears that the problem was manifested under load re: red-line shifting, heavy acceleration etc.

I am fortunate enough to live here in the CA desert, an area that is prime for all kinds of spirited driving so I was able to push it pretty hard.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:43 AM
thebiggman
Racer

I took a long hard look yesterday evening at the crank pulley while the engine was running. I had a flash light and shined it down at the pulley and didn't see any movement or bouncing. I also looked at all of the other pulleys and they were all stable. Turned the engine off and reached down and checked all of the pulleys for "play". Everything checked out fine with the pulleys. Pulled off the plastic head covers and started it up again, I could hear the ticking better. Could this be the springs and lifters just being a bit noisy, and its not anything of real concern?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Vespa-Vette
Racer

Just read "Ken's Newsletter" and he states that GM issued a TSB for the crank pulley.

I still need to crank up the car and open the hood and find out...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:58 PM
D-Train
Instructor

Just had the first oil change at 1037 miles. I told the mechanic about the noise, he had me sit in the car with him and right on cue, when you push on the gas the chattering started, He said he thinks it is valve train noise, he said the C5 had the same issue, if it gets significantly louder bring it back in. The mechanics all thouhgt it was within an acceptable amount of noise. They also checked all of the pully connections.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:41 AM
thebiggman
Racer

Cool...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which newsletter of ken's has the Gm TSB report for repair on loose pulley?

Last edited by RWSjr; 11-12-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RWSjr
Which newsletter of ken's has the Gm TSB report for repair on loose pulley?
Part 3, dated 11/08/04. Here's a link.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=942564

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking Sound.

Quick Reply: Ticking Sound.