C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaks & Groans

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn h.
I was just reading the Motor Trend comparison of the Vette vs. 911. Talk about bias & sensationalism at it's best. I was throughly disgusted w/the writer & Motor Trend.

Anyways, I did notice something that has validity to it. I have had a few Corvettes starting w/the C4. I have always been annoyed by the noises the car make when going on an angle into a driveway. I blamed the C4's inferior structural integrity for this.

When the C5 came out, all of the talk was about how the structural integrity was improved & no more creaks, groans, rattles, etc. Although mine was rattle free(compared to the C4), it was still creaking & groaning going into my driveway.

I like to ask the C6 owners if their cars suffer from the same thing. I also want to know what causes this & if there is more to this, because the C6 is supposed to be one of the tighest cars out there. So what gives?
The rattle that MT saids is in the Targa roof......

Sounds like none of you guys have rattles in the roof so it seems like the MT car is an isolated case.....
Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan111
The rattle that MT saids is in the Targa roof......

Sounds like none of you guys have rattles in the roof so it seems like the MT car is an isolated case.....
If there was a rattle it could easily be adjusted. M&T has a rattle in their brain.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Chunandler
Safety Car

I was just reading the Motor Trend comparison of the Vette vs. 911. Talk about bias & sensationalism at it's best. I was throughly disgusted w/the writer & Motor Trend.

Anyways, I did notice something that has validity to it. I have had a few Corvettes starting w/the C4. I have always been annoyed by the noises the car make when going on an angle into a driveway. I blamed the C4's inferior structural integrity for this.

When the C5 came out, all of the talk was about how the structural integrity was improved & no more creaks, groans, rattles, etc. Although mine was rattle free(compared to the C4), it was still creaking & groaning going into my driveway.

I like to ask the C6 owners if their cars suffer from the same thing. I also want to know what causes this & if there is more to this, because the C6 is supposed to be one of the tighest cars out there. So what gives?

I noticed that right away. I looked who wrote it and the same guy wrote several articles throughout the magazine I didn't care for. He was biased and arrogant. It basically comes down to silly stuff like the car not fealing like they think it should, stuff that normally nobody would give a care about but because they have to fill a couple pages, they make something out of nothing.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chunandler
I noticed that right away. I looked who wrote it and the same guy wrote several articles throughout the magazine I didn't care for. He was biased and arrogant. It basically comes down to silly stuff like the car not fealing like they think it should, stuff that normally nobody would give a care about but because they have to fill a couple pages, they make something out of nothing.
I think the C6 performance in this MT comparison against the 911S was terrific.......It beat the 911S at the Track by 112 feet, it did 0.96g's and 69 mph at the slalom.....

The 911 advantage at the track was in tight corners i wonder how much better would a C6 have performed in this comparo if it had regular tires like the 911S......

Maybe someday we can know the answer........
Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlee013
I had creaks and groans. I had a BMW 5 series that was famous for creaks and groans from its door seals. This is stuff we used on seals called gummi pflege which is a seal lubricant. I have used this on all the seals on my C6 and the noise has gone away. I reapply every month.

Seal Lubricant
The creaks & groans I am referring to is coming from the bottom(floor) of the car. I don't know if there is a quick fix to this. It might be an engineering thing. But I was hoping that they would have fixed this on the C6.

Also, I have taken in my car about four times to fix a loose & vibrating rearview mirror. They keep changing it, but it still vibrates. Have they improved this on the C6?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The creaks & groans I am referring to is coming from the bottom(floor) of the car. I don't know if there is a quick fix to this. It might be an engineering thing. But I was hoping that they would have fixed this on the C6.

Also, I have taken in my car about four times to fix a loose & vibrating rearview mirror. They keep changing it, but it still vibrates. Have they improved this on the C6?
Haven't had any creaks and groans in my C6. Also haven't had a problem with the rearview mirror being loose or vibrating.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
Mine just started rattling from somewhere in the back of the car. I notice it most at low speeds on choppy road surfaces. It sounds like the deck lid is ajar---which it is not or a loose cargo tray---plastic or some non-metallic noise. I have yet to isolate the exact location but is seems to be coming under the trunk. Anybody experience this or have any suggestions? My first Vette is beginning to sound like one of my Trans Ams of the 70's.
FIXED--IT WAS A LOOSE BOLT ON THE SWAY BAR---WHO WAS TIGHTENING BOLTS ON SWAY BARS AND CRANK PULLEYS ON NOVEMBER 12TH AT BG?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:11 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm surprised that folks actually are having creak/groans so early. I have not had any to date at 2476 miles. I'll be sure and pay attention though from now on. I was out in her today doing some Christmas shopping. Damn, she looks so pretty in the sunlight on a blue sky day...
Old 12-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Thud
Team Owner

If you want a demonstration of the structural rigidity of the C6 (and C5 for that matter), when you jack up any corner of the car, the entire side of the car comes straight up, and you have two wheels still on the ground.

When I jacked up any wheel on my C4, the other 3 wheels would still be touching pavement.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:47 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thud
If you want a demonstration of the structural rigidity of the C6 (and C5 for that matter), when you jack up any corner of the car, the entire side of the car comes straight up, and you have two wheels still on the ground.

When I jacked up any wheel on my C4, the other 3 wheels would still be touching pavement.
Interesting!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Haven't had any creaks and groans in my C6. Also haven't had a problem with the rearview mirror being loose or vibrating.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:41 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Wow, I must be lucky. I have a steep driveway that scrapes the chin spoiler, but both my C5's have been rock-solid, with zero creaks, rattles etc. Our BMW325 creaks a bit, and even my '94 RX-7 did it.

Creaks and rattles are one of the reasons I would not go near the C4...that's how sensitive I am to them. The Z06 in particular just feels cast-iron solid.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:07 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thud

Now that's a fully independant Suspension if I've ever heard of one!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Fastgenious
Racer

My 04 MY Z06 is rattle free and is as solid as any car that I have driven(Porsche, BMW, Acura and Lexus). I hope it stays that way!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
barney
Racer

I have 2500 miles and don't here any rattles or creeking at all,it sure is nice. Hope you find your problem.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The creaking on the rear hatch was a shot of silicone spray on the hatch hinges. 30 sec fix, my kind of fix.

Quick Reply: Creaks & Groans