C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home made cold air intake

Old 12-15-2004, 03:11 PM
CSICX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made cold air intake

I am thinking of removing the air bridge and cutting an opening in the top of the shroud that funnels air to the radiator. If I then replace all the stock stuff,(air bridge and stock filter set up along with the cover that goes over the filter box) it looks to me that cold air would be sucked in through this area to the opening in the airbox that is closest to the airbridge. Perhaps I might hear from the flow mechanic's that are on the forum to hear if there would be a problems with this. I also have two K$N's coming, but since the purchase I have read a thread stating there are some flow tests showing the GM paper filters are better than the K$N's for $90. So sad for me if that's true,another few dollars down the drain. I'm not sure where the current filter gets its air as hood closure sure seems to be tight with this shield that is over the airfilter box. I imagine it's just sucking it out of the engine compartment. Realizing this is probably no big deal either way it just seems like it might be a cheap way to get cool air while I'm diving this thing. (Cold air to my brain anyway!) Thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 03:49 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

So let me make sure I understand this. You are not going to have a airbridge what so ever? You might run into some problems with the MAF.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:58 PM
djhartm
Racer

I was thinking of doing the same - I have already opened the lower grill for an air supply to the outer filter openings.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:38 AM
CSICX
Advanced

I was referring to removing the airbridge as a way to get a dremel tool or other type of saw in that area to open a vent for cold air access to the filters. The bridge removal would be for access only. Thanks, I think I will do this when the filters arrive
Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this link for C5 info on this mod. Click the PDF file for the cold air mod by dave68. I haven't seen the shroud on the C6 but it probably isn't very different from the C5.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:18 PM
los7883
Melting Slicks

Make sure you take lots of pics if you do it!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:34 AM
CSICX
Advanced

I will take pics, then I will have to see if I can figure out how to post them so it will be awhile. I plan on using a dremel to open a slot in the shroud around the airintake for the radiator. I think I will place one just to the inside of each of the medial filter intakes. and perhaps some in the shroud just behind the filter box so it can draw cold air in under the cover that lays above the filter boxes. I will also look at the site noted in on of the responses to my note and see what there idea was. Just bought the Corsa Sport with dual 3.5 tips from Fichtner Chev total price $1023 this included shiping and no tax due, I thought that was good. Perhaps someone who is a better negotiator can do better?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CSICX
I will take pics, then I will have to see if I can figure out how to post them so it will be awhile. I plan on using a dremel to open a slot in the shroud around the airintake for the radiator. I think I will place one just to the inside of each of the medial filter intakes. and perhaps some in the shroud just behind the filter box so it can draw cold air in under the cover that lays above the filter boxes. I will also look at the site noted in on of the responses to my note and see what there idea was. Just bought the Corsa Sport with dual 3.5 tips from Fichtner Chev total price $1023 this included shiping and no tax due, I thought that was good. Perhaps someone who is a better negotiator can do better?
Did you get your Corsa delivered yet? I ordered the same from Fichtner about 3 weeks ago. Not here yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 PM
selo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't justify it at these prices. I went for it with a 997.2 GTS Cab, and I was going to keep it forever. But look and behold, the same dumbasses out there that can plow into your Taurus can also plow into your $150,000 ride. And it's never the same again, and you've lost your *** in resale. At 0-60 in the low 4s, if I do another 911 cab it's going to be a base model. What do I need a Cab to accelerate to 60 in 3.2 seconds for? Maybe I could go to the local dragstrip and beat up on some Camaros. In my Porsche GTS Cab. The only way I'd buy one is if I couldn't get a GT3 manual, and I had my heart set on a performance 911 for the track, I'd do a coupe in a performance build
But right now I'm pretty happy with my 981 Spyder. At least I will be, I think, once the new tires will be put on. That will balance. And not vibrate. Like the originals did. From the dealer, because it sat in a warehouse for 6 months.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by selo
I can't justify it at these prices. I went for it with a 997.2 GTS Cab, and I was going to keep it forever. But look and behold, the same dumbasses out there that can plow into your Taurus can also plow into your $150,000 ride. And it's never the same again, and you've lost your *** in resale. At 0-60 in the low 4s, if I do another 911 cab it's going to be a base model. What do I need a Cab to accelerate to 60 in 3.2 seconds for? Maybe I could go to the local dragstrip and beat up on some Camaros. In my Porsche GTS Cab. The only way I'd buy one is if I couldn't get a GT3 manual, and I had my heart set on a performance 911 for the track, I'd do a coupe in a performance build
But right now I'm pretty happy with my 981 Spyder. At least I will be, I think, once the new tires will be put on. That will balance. And not vibrate. Like the originals did. From the dealer, because it sat in a warehouse for 6 months.
Did you really just revive a 12 year old CAI thread to talk about your Porsche?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 5knives
Did you really just revive a 12 year old CAI thread to talk about your Porsche?
I'm thinking he must have just pushed the wrong button or had the wrong site on his screen when he accidentally posted...wouldn't make sense otherwise...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I'm thinking he must have just pushed the wrong button or had the wrong site on his screen when he accidentally posted...wouldn't make sense otherwise...
I agree. Especially if it was posted using a cell phone. Still funny though.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:05 PM
selo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, you guys aren't going to let this drop, are you? I'll weigh in.
Yes, I was trying to post on a Porsche forum I was looking at on Garage Talk. Somehow the screen scrolled into the Vette forum, apparently. Couldn't begin tell you how. Anyway, that's that. Although I do like the C7 a lot, spend a fair amount of time on the forum, and keep toying with the idea of buying one.

Get notified of new replies

To home made cold air intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: home made cold air intake