Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Air charger on TOTALLY stock LS7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Air charger on TOTALLY stock LS7 engine

The key word here is TOTALLY................that's what my LE is right now so I want to know if there are some people out there that have installed the AC on their totally stock Z's.

I'm not looking for dyno #'s as I feel that the gain on a dyno will be minimal, but what I want to know is do you feel a SOTP difference after installing one and running the car on a dragstrip? Was there a trap speed gain after the install?

What about the rain water issue? My car isn't driven in the rain that much but occasionally I will drive it when raining (if I'm caught with the car out and the weather changes for ex.).

TIA for the responses.

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 07-16-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
novaz06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's an air charger?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

http://www.theair-charger.com/veinsysa1.html
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one but my car is modded.....I live in South Florida and it rains a lot in the summer...I have never had a problem at all.....Yes I drive it in the rain and it gets wet....It's a car.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to void your warranty because you installed a $90 intake that will do little or next to nothing for you? See other threads where GM is voiding warranties on any cars that have had their shroud cut to accommodate these things.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

right now I don't want to void my warranty but what GM will do in the states doesn't mean the canadian division will do the same.

My dealer is one where they won't be that draconian because you do some minor stuff to your car, already checked into that.

As to the effectiveness of this part, I don't know that's why I'm asking.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vray
You want to void your warranty because you installed a $90 intake that will do little or next to nothing for you? See other threads where GM is voiding warranties on any cars that have had their shroud cut to accommodate these things.
That is completely false. Do not start a "Void the Warranty" regarding intake systems.

Carlos has been selling his Vette Air Charger for 3 years now, and I am certain he has not had warranty disclaimers due to it.

There is some risk when opening the radiator shroud for new airflow, but what you are saying is that Lingenfelter's intake, Callaway's Honker, Vararam, and Breathless intakes void your warranty. That is simply not true.

If you hydrolock your motor with a bottom breather, good luck, but the dealer cannot simply void the warranty because you install an intake system.

The Vette Air Charger, by the way, is not an intake system, but rather a simple air ducting system for cold air.

One more point, most intakes including the Halltech Killer Bee add 12 RWHP. A pretty good bang for the buck. Here is the dyno done by Katech on the K&N and Halltech Killer Bee 3 years ago. The dyno they use is the same dyno used to develop the LS7 motor for GM, so I suspect it is accurate. The filter media tested was our ISO5011 Certified filter (8 layer) vs the K&N 4 layer non certified filter.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 07-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
right now I don't want to void my warranty but what GM will do in the states doesn't mean the canadian division will do the same.

My dealer is one where they won't be that draconian because you do some minor stuff to your car, already checked into that.

As to the effectiveness of this part, I don't know that's why I'm asking.
It's effective, it brings cooler air into your AIS system, this simple set up has been around and used since late 2005!

We are the creator of this product; many of the fast Z's out there are sporting this unit. The unit can be use with the stock air system or with the Killer Bee unit.

As far as dealers and warranties, as stated many times, dealers are usually pretty cool when you simply talk to them about your future mod plans. In fact, I haven't heard of any customer loosing his or her warranty over this mod.

Thanks and please let me know if I can help you answer any more questions.

Carlos
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got my 07Z out of the shop today. The radiator fan stopped working Tuesday and they had to replace it. My car has a K&N intake and the air charger. Tech had to remove intake to replace fan assembly and absolutely nothing was said at all. All covered under warranty with no problems at all
Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
One more point, most intakes including the Halltech Killer Bee add 12 RWHP. A pretty good bang for the buck. Here is the dyno done by Katech on the K&N and Halltech Killer Bee 3 years ago. The dyno they use is the same dyno used to develop the LS7 motor for GM, so I suspect it is accurate. The filter media tested was our ISO5011 Certified filter (8 layer) vs the K&N 4 layer non certified filter.

Jim Hall
Those results have nothing to do with a the OP's question as to what gains can he see on a totally stock engine - not one that has been modified.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Those results have nothing to do with a the OP's question as to what gains can he see on a totally stock engine - not one that has been modified.
Air Charger will not add any horsepower. It will just let you keep what you have by keeping underhood temperatures as low as possible so computer will not pull timing. As far as water intrusion i think it is a non issue. If however you bury the front end in a pool of water you may have a problem but you would have this problem even if you didnt have a air charger.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I figured you would say that, so I have a totally stock Z06 and the results with the addition of our Killer Bee below:

Modified or stock the results are the same:

Here is another modified Z06 that had headers and a mild cam. The first dyno was done with the Killer Bee onboard, the B or second dyno was simply re-installation of the stock LS7 AIS, then back to the the Killer Bee (A) again:

Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
arctic74vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the OP was asking about the air charger and not the Killer Bee???
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
The key word here is TOTALLY................that's what my LE is right now so I want to know if there are some people out there that have installed the AC on their totally stock Z's.

I'm not looking for dyno #'s as I feel that the gain on a dyno will be minimal, but what I want to know is do you feel a SOTP difference after installing one and running the car on a dragstrip? Was there a trap speed gain after the install?

What about the rain water issue? My car isn't driven in the rain that much but occasionally I will drive it when raining (if I'm caught with the car out and the weather changes for ex.).

TIA for the responses.

Tony

Hello Tony,

When bone stock, we have seen as much as 10rwhp on the dyno after adding the Vette-Air scoop with a fan blowing into the mouth. Of course, you'll feel a better rush of breathing power as you drive down the road.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Default order is in

Just did it online, spoke with carlos earlier in the week to confirm shipping to my address.

Now to await arrival of the item....................
Old 07-24-2009, 02:54 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic74vette
I thought the OP was asking about the air charger and not the Killer Bee???
open door + vendor = slide in and make a sale
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

Void warranty, come on. They warranty my car with cam and tune.Never had a problem with warranty work.

Get notified of new replies

To Air charger on TOTALLY stock LS7 engine

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Void warranty, come on. They warranty my car with cam and tune.Never had a problem with warranty work.
You've had powertrain warranty work with a cam & tune? Who's your dealer?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I love when the 'keep it stock' guys come in these mod threads and say not to mod..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:24 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Carlos produces a well made product that will increase your performance. I cannot post gains since I have additional Bolt-Ons; however, I will state that this product will assist me in achieving my goal.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Air charger on TOTALLY stock LS7 engine