Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil Pan Leak - LS7 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
DntXme
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Leak - LS7 Engine

I've got oil pan weeping at almost all the oil pan bolts. I cleaned them and torqued to 18ft-lbs. Still weeping. The problem is that the LS7 engine is in a Pontiac Solstice, so no chance of removing the pan without pulling the engine. I read in a thread that one person had removed each oil pan bolt and applied gasket sealer to the bolt, one by one, then reinserted the bolts and retorqued. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea, will I just make it worse? Any ideas for me without pullng the engine???
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 AM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DntXme
I've got oil pan weeping at almost all the oil pan bolts. I cleaned them and torqued to 18ft-lbs. Still weeping. The problem is that the LS7 engine is in a Pontiac Solstice, so no chance of removing the pan without pulling the engine. I read in a thread that one person had removed each oil pan bolt and applied gasket sealer to the bolt, one by one, then reinserted the bolts and retorqued. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea, will I just make it worse? Any ideas for me without pullng the engine???
It's a known problem I have 2400 miles and it leaks. Do the search many here are having the same problem. Just take it back on warrantee and get them to check your rear seal at the same time. That is another known problem with leaking.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
DntXme
Cruising

No warranty here, It is a crate LS7 engine installed in a pontiac solstice.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the sealer method, use Loctite flange sealant I think the number is 518, available from McMaster Carr supply. My truck (ls1) engine was weeping from the side main bearing bolts that pass through the block (22 ff-lbs) so don't overlook those. Remove the suspect bolt, clean both the bolt and hole with contact cleaner and then apply the flange sealant. There is no downside to trying this as the sealant remains flexible and can easily be removed. It worked for me, good luck.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
avacorvette
Burning Brakes

Location: Canonsburg home of Yenko Chevy (gone but not forgotten) Western PA

DntXme. forgive me for hyjacking but.
Are you from western PA.. I raced a Pontiac Solstice at the Flashlight Drags w/an LS7 motor. Could this be you?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Your car must be one hel* of a ride. I would just get some gasket material, a gasket punch and put a selfmade gasket around each pan bolt. That will take care of the problem. Some of the sealers may not work if synthetic oil is seeping in the area while the sealer is setting up.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 PM
DntXme
Cruising

Thanks for the ideas on the bolts. I'll give it a shot. I'm out here in San Diego.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Leak - LS7 Engine

Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Pan Leak - LS7 Engine