Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 997.2TT w/PDK vs Z06 VS Gt-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
J@WheelsBoutique
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2TT w/PDK vs Z06 VS Gt-R

Seems like these new Porsche's are serious. You be the judge.

PDK TURBO VS GTR VS Z06
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com
Blog: www.InsidetheWB.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / #1 ADV1 Dealer / DPE Wheels / MHT Wheels / DUB1 Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....

Last edited by Grumpy; 04-09-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Even those it weighs about 3500lbs, the thing is putting down 490rwhp AWD with that PDK. (shifts are stupid fast....GTR killer for sure) As a side note, it is rated @ 500hp crank HP and puts down more power than the GT2 997!! HAHAHA! sure, and the GTR has only 480hp as well!

But it went 128mph with launch control. 0-60 2.8 so it definitely go a whole lot better... i think the germans took Nissans insult to heart and made that PDK 911 a monster.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
J@WheelsBoutique
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by obzidian
Even those it weighs about 3500lbs, the thing is putting down 490rwhp AWD with that PDK. (shifts are stupid fast....GTR killer for sure) As a side note, it is rated @ 500hp crank HP and puts down more power than the GT2 997!! HAHAHA! sure, and the GTR has only 480hp as well!

But it went 128mph with launch control. 0-60 2.8 so it definitely go a whole lot better... i think the germans took Nissans insult to heart and made that PDK 911 a monster.
Coming from a Z06 owner (ex), we had a 997.2TT PDK here at the shop the other day. IT IS A MONSTER!! no joke.

GM PDK Z06??
Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

JSB Z06, right?! Heard Jose is getting rid of it...

The car is geared to be insanely quick... I think it hits 60mph in 3rd! Add the revamped launch control, the revamped PDK and more power in AWD form than the GT2 and sure, the thing is going to move. (490rwhp AWD is tons OVER 500rwhp)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
J@WheelsBoutique
Supporting Vendor

JSB Z06, right?! Heard Jose is getting rid of it...

The car is geared to be insanely quick... I think it hits 60mph in 3rd! Add the revamped launch control, the revamped PDK and more power in AWD form than the GT2 and sure, the thing is going to move. (490rwhp AWD is tons OVER 500rwhp)
Jose wont have it anymore. It will stay close by tho, good friend of mine will have it. that Z is the ***** of Miami. LOL it had a small fender bender last month. That vette is an 08/09 and now 2010.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche's claim of hp/tq is normally conservative. It didn't take that long for them to respond to gtr. What I like about the new tt is that is did not come out with godly high hp/tq #'s but just concentrated to put the power down better & it showed. Nice! Those guys in the Philippines are making some serious $$$$ to be able to drive those cars there. Good for them.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I will reserve judgement until I see more videos but the PDK is certainly for real.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Very impressive. Gotta give it to Porsche for stepping up their game big time with this car. Also, can't forget Nissan, if it weren't for the GTR, Porsche would've never bothered going through the effort to improve the 997TT this much.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm really impressed with the TT PDK, hopefully GM is working on somthing similar for the next generation of automatic vettes. IMO the C7 needs a PDK type dual clutch system, an outdated A6 auto won't cut it for a next generation Corvette.....

PDK is the future, even Ferrari, who just released a California with manual (much slower then the auto Ferrari) won't be building many manual cars anymore....Lambo claims they are DONE with manual shift and going all dual clutch from now on.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Honestly, I don't think the C7 "need" a PDK, dual clutch, AWD, none of that.....

You know, as much as I like the R35, IMO, it's not a the same kind of car like the R34's. I think nissan lost some of the soul/feel when they made the R35 auto only.... and if GM does the same for the high performance version of its C7, I'm afraid they will do the same. If they want to use a PDK along side a standard gear box, that fine... but to go like nissan and completely get rid of it is a mistake.

A real car, IMO, is one that you bang your own gears.... if your slow, practice.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, I don't think the C7 "need" a PDK, dual clutch, AWD, none of that.....

You know, as much as I like the R35, IMO, it's not a the same kind of car like the R34's. I think nissan lost some of the soul/feel when they made the R35 auto only.... and if GM does the same for the high performance version of its C7, I'm afraid they will do the same. If they want to use a PDK along side a standard gear box, that fine... but to go like nissan and completely get rid of it is a mistake.

A real car, IMO, is one that you bang your own gears.... if your slow, practice.

Which is why I only advocate a PDK type transmisson to replace the usual auto ie: A6 w/paddle shift. A manual should also be offered but a Z06/Zr1 with PDK would be faster in many situations compared to the standard manual.

It would be great for the corvette buyer to have the choice. But I'm 100% for losing the A6 if it meant a PDK would become standard. I doubt GM even has one near completion though....they lag behind in transmisson development imo.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
hesperus
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, few things going on here.

1) some guys on the Porsche forums have dyno'd the new PDK Turbo and are not getting anywhere near 490awhp. i think it was about 460+

2) related to that, the PDK tranny may be a bit more efficient than a trad manual, so could be the %-age losses are less. remember how people were shouting about how Nissan underrated the GTR, when it turned out the trick DSG was very efficient, and the car was geared for acceleration, hence the crazy #'s?

i don't think the PDK Turbo is faster than a GT2 once on the move, unless the GT2 driver is a hopeless shifter. some european tests show that while the PDK will beat a GT2 to 100kmh (60mph) and run with him till say 200kmh (approx 125mph), the GT2 pulls away beyond that.

we'll run the PDK again this weekend against a stock GT2, so we'll know for sure. for ****s and giggles, the Z06 will give it another go starting from a higher speed. pity that the GTR owner is away on holiday, so can't come along.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cars are pretty well matched.. seems like the vette guy needs more skill controlling the tire spin
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
The cars are pretty well matched.. seems like the vette guy needs more skill controlling the tire spin
Or maybe some DR's if he's running GY's.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chevy and Nissan look good doing it at half the $'s. I have some time in the 997 and it is also a fine ride.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

watching that made me feel like i was in a car wreck!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Thats why race cars use sequential gearboxes ? they have not practiced enough ?

Rune

Get notified of new replies

To 997.2TT w/PDK vs Z06 VS Gt-R

Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
IMO, few things going on here.

1) some guys on the Porsche forums have dyno'd the new PDK Turbo and are not getting anywhere near 490awhp. i think it was about 460+

2) related to that, the PDK tranny may be a bit more efficient than a trad manual, so could be the %-age losses are less. remember how people were shouting about how Nissan underrated the GTR, when it turned out the trick DSG was very efficient, and the car was geared for acceleration, hence the crazy #'s?
The PDK transmission (DCT, DSG or whatever else you want to call it) is not more efficient than a traditional manual transmission. There are more losses due to gear churn (oil windage) and HP required to drive the hydraulic pump used to do the shifting...you don't get something for nothing. And Nissan didn't underrate the GTR, it has 480 HP SAE Certified and that's it. Every chassis dyno I saw on this forum that showed the GTR was "underrated" or people used to point to how "efficient" the DSG is was debunked by yours truly as being bogus...every single one.

The GTR is not underrated and the DSG is not more efficient than a regular manual transmission...it's geared for acceleration from a dead stop and together with AWD can produce some crazy 0-60 MPH runs for its weight and HP. However, a stock Z06 will destroy a stock GTR from a roll from 40 MPH and up...gears and AWD to maximize acceleration from a dead stop with torque and traction will only take you so far, then HP and light weight takes over. Just the simple laws of physics.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO

Which is why I only advocate a PDK type transmisson to replace the usual auto ie: A6 w/paddle shift. A manual should also be offered but a Z06/Zr1 with PDK would be faster in many situations compared to the standard manual.

It would be great for the corvette buyer to have the choice. But I'm 100% for losing the A6 if it meant a PDK would become standard. I doubt GM even has one near completion though....they lag behind in transmisson development imo.
GM doesn't make manual transmissions and if you think they don't have a car coming to market with a DCT transmission, you're way out of touch with reality. If they lag behind transmission development, why have so many other manufacturers used their automatic transmissions over the years. You need to do a little more research before making statements like the above so you'll know what you're talking about.

Why would GM offer three transmissions in a low production car like the Corvette when they could use the DCT transmission to replace the manual and auto and satisfy the intent of both? One transmission would lower production costs and I fully expect to see a DCT transmission as the only one offered for the C7 when it comes out. To put it in the C6 would require a major redesign of the portion surrounding the transmission. Remember the wheelbase was lengthened for the C6 to accomodate the extra length of the 6L80.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Thats why race cars use sequential gearboxes ? they have not practiced enough ?

Rune

I'm just wondering when they're going to get rid of the junk computers and go back to manual spark advance.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 997.2TT w/PDK vs Z06 VS Gt-R