Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Excellence of C7 Z06 May Have Made C6 Z06 Quite the Steal

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM
AdPock
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Excellence of C7 Z06 May Have Made C6 Z06 Quite the Steal

The new C7 Corvette Z06 is obviously a fantastic car. But wasn't the C6 Z06 fantastic too? Road and Track and The Smoking Tire's Matt Farah obviously think so.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

The point is well made. The C6Z is a world class car.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:57 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I've never seen the guy before but he seems knowledgeable, I'm going to try to search his driving the C7Z, he says he has to stop every so often because of the heat soaking.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

heatsoak on the c7 first years is like c6z first years valve train issues and 2001 z06 oil consumption..

with that said ofcourse all aforementioned issues are nursed and not eliminated 100% ... all z06s are AMazing YET if I was to give my opinion

c5z THE looks
c6z THE performance (straight or CURVES)
c7z the POWER and finally a coupe with a Nice looking Hatch...
Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 AM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course the C6-Z is a used car steal (if you can afford even that).
Most folks here can't even afford a used C6-Z.
Is it a great car??? He11 YES! I drive a C-2. Going from my C-2 to a C6-Z06 would be like going from a Model T to the Space Shuttle.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Brannon
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
I've never seen the guy before but he seems knowledgeable, I'm going to try to search his driving the C7Z, he says he has to stop every so often because of the heat soaking.
I subscribed to his YouTube channel "The Smoking Tire". I've enjoyed his reviews for awhile. He has good general car knowledge.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Yup! It's got my attention. If I move to a C6 it will most likely be a Z06, possibly a GS. There was a silver Z06 not far from my home that came on the market at $37500. Before I could see it, it was gone.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:45 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
heatsoak on the c7 first years is like c6z first years valve train issues and 2001 z06 oil consumption..

with that said ofcourse all aforementioned issues are nursed and not eliminated 100% ... all z06s are AMazing YET if I was to give my opinion

c5z THE looks
"is like c6z first years valve train issues"

what "first years valve train issues "???
Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM
GA$$MAN
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:36 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
"is like c6z first years valve train issues"

what "first years valve train issues "???
I'm assuming he either means the 07 rocker arm needle bearing issue, or he's assuming that the valve issue only affects the earlier model years.

I think some people think that because they made so many more in the first few years, so naturally you see more issues pop up with those.

Last edited by jdhommert; 07-20-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

It looks like prices are dropping on the C6Zs too. I'm seeing more and more in the 35k-40k range. It seems there are a lot of cars that are overpriced that just never sell. With the C7 out and lots looking to upgrade, I think its a great buyer's market for a C6Z.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

c5z THE looks
Hey, ez fix on the C5Z. I just carried a few extra quarts of oil around with me. My early build (Aug of 2000) 2001 C5Z was still the best Corvette I have ever owned in many ways. The C6Z is good, maybe great particularly in the engine area, but the C5Z handled so incredibly well right as delivered I couldn't believe it.

I will never own a C7Z simply because I an neither a heavy car or a Forced Induction kinda guy. Maybe they will do a C7 GS with a 550 hp NA LT5 weighing about 3200 lbs as delivered. Then I will be a player.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:53 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
Hey, ez fix on the C5Z. I just carried a few extra quarts of oil around with me. My early build (Aug of 2000) 2001 C5Z was still the best Corvette I have ever owned in many ways. The C6Z is good, maybe great particularly in the engine area, but the C5Z handled so incredibly well right as delivered I couldn't believe it.

I will never own a C7Z simply because I an neither a heavy car or a Forced Induction kinda guy. Maybe they will do a C7 GS with a 550 hp NA LT5 weighing about 3200 lbs as delivered. Then I will be a player.
Totally agree. I *loved* my C5Z so much.

I don't like at all what they've done with the Z06 in the C7. It's supposed to be a lower weight NA engine car that is geared towards road racing, not a heavier grand touring car. Damn thing weighs 400 lbs more than the C6Z and a couple hundred lbs more than the Stingray.

I'd love to see a GS package on the C7
Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

WE wish.. that formula sounds more like "z06" package LOL... they wont build it becuase 550 n/a will be close if not match performace of the heavier supercharger..

with that said I wouLD aDD (NEVER tRADE) A Z06/ZR1 to the stable.. besides My wife cant be the only thing whinning HAHA... at least I can control how much and when the Lt5 Whinnes
Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Heatsoak Issues

I disagree with your comparison. The two issues you cited are reliability issues with a long term effect on the engine, whereas heatsoak is a short term issue where the intake air mixture gets so hot that the performance drops off noticeably. In modern cars, the engine management system will often intervene to prevent damage by further cutting back the performance, pulling timing, etc. Let it cool down and all is good.

I'm not familiar with the engine on the C7Z06, but I expect there is some type of intercooler buried beneath the supercharger, which is just not large enough for track use. My BMW 335i has the same issue with its turbocharger intercooler, but you never read about it in any magazine.

c5z THE looks
Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z.06
I disagree with your comparison. The two issues you cited are reliability issues with a long term effect on the engine, whereas heatsoak is a short term issue where the intake air mixture gets so hot that the performance drops off noticeably. In modern cars, the engine management system will often intervene to prevent damage by further cutting back the performance, pulling timing, etc. Let it cool down and all is good.

I'm not familiar with the engine on the C7Z06, but I expect there is some type of intercooler buried beneath the supercharger, which is just not large enough for track use. My BMW 335i has the same issue with its turbocharger intercooler, but you never read about it in any magazine.
ill agree to disagree HAHA... no seriously Its all relative., Majority of folks never did anything about the c5z oil comsumption 1 for sure being me which I just add oil as needed,. 60k miles and OVER 500 1/4 miles passes NO issues.. the ls7 Valve springs SAME thing Only Few Upgrade when doing a CAM ETC..

as for the c7 Z MOST wont due anything about and Live with it.. and SOMe that want the Reliable power WILL upgrade intercooler etc....
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Maybe they will do a C7 GS with a 550 hp NA LT5 weighing about 3200 lbs as delivered. Then I will be a player.

I'm hoping for something like this. It would make the wait for a C7 worthwhile!

Get notified of new replies

To Excellence of C7 Z06 May Have Made C6 Z06 Quite the Steal

Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
I'm assuming he either means the 07 valve spring issue, or he's assuming that the valve issue only affects the earlier model years.

I think some people think that because they made so many more in the first few years, so naturally you see more issues pop up with those.
He's referring to when people mis-shift from 2nd to 3rd and drop a valve. This doesn't usually happen all at once, either. A mis-shift here, and mis-shift there then one day cruising, and ping! The valve head falls off into the piston. Good thing the LS7 is sleeved.

The valves are two-piece, sodium-filled valves from factory and in my opinion are superior over the typical aftermarket SS valves in all circumstances but high RPM mis-shifts and forced induction engines (due to excessive exhaust heat). Bottom line, don't let your car run too hot and don't mis-shift the car. Ranger gives good solid advice on how to avoid the shifting issues.

Good, clean shifting = healthy LS7. It's not something particular to the LS7 either. Any small block mis-shift at 7K RPM will be detrimental unless you have proper clearance and a combination that is tight all the way to 7500K...which wouldn't be stock.

EDIT: I'm addressing the common misconception that that valves themselves are the issue, which they aren't unless they are slapping the top of the piston head. The issue was in the valve guides, and according to GM, for a very limited window of time from July 2008 to early 2009. Never heard any issues with the valve springs other than with modified engines either not having enough valve seat pressure or too much pressure.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 07-17-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:20 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06

The first paragraph I believe is correct. Don't know about the second one...

The supercharger design is just not a cool-running one, period. A centrifugal charger wouldn't likely have this problem and neither would a turbo setup. Only the roots type seem to run into this issue and this is well-documented over many different vehicle types, too.

The car pulls timing to ensure that the engine is warrantable from factory. They have the consider drivers that beat the crap out of it on a hot Arizona day on the street and not recognize the overheating issue and still beat on it for another half hour. Only way to ensure a reliable engine in that case is to pull serious timing as the engine temps increase.

To tack on to all the above posts, I think the C6 has the timeless lines required by society to be liked years to come. The Transformer look will be over and done with in 5 years time. The folks who are getting it right is Ford with the upcoming GT. I hope GM follows suit with the Z06, keeping the lines smooth like a coke bottle (or like a woman) and tossing the roots style charger for something better. IMO, a 2700lb carbon-fiber body with the C6R bore X stroke setup pumping out 650hp would be the best, all while revving to 8500RPM's and running 3.90's out back.

Bottom 10 second platform on stickies, lol.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 07-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow so much misinformation in the thread already. The issue the the 07s was rocker arm needle bearing retainer failure. Needle bearings coming out of the rocker arm. Not valve spring.

The other issue with C6Z06 is premature valve guide wear. It has nothing to do with miss-shifts and it affects all years. As the valve guide wears the valve is loose inside the guide, rattling around, and eventually breaks off.

There has never been a prominent valve spring issue with the LS7.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Excellence of C7 Z06 May Have Made C6 Z06 Quite the Steal