C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfecting Our Piston/Rod Combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Perfecting Our Piston/Rod Combo

Another set of our drop-in piston/rods for the new LT1 motors is on its way out the door. This is something you don't normally see from shop. Once we receive our kits, we check every part; gaps, clearances, etc. If we see something that can be improved upon, we do it right here before the customer gets their hands on it.

We take pride in our parts and make sure every customer gets only the highest quality. If it was our car, we would expect the same. 😉

Our drop in piston/rod combo is available now and will support 1000whp. Pretty incredible for a simple drop-in set. No balancing or pulling the motor required.

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 06-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Drop in rods huh? What kind are they?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:56 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C7&7
We worked with CP-Carrillo to make a drop-in piston/rod combo. More info here: http://cunningham-motorsports.com/pr...bbcfecd6d8a275

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 06-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

This is an awesome option for LT1 folks. CMS does great work.
The following users liked this post:
Cunningham Motorsports (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C7&7
Have to do them as a combo with this kit. I inquired about doing just rods without the pistons and was told you must do both.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Have to do them as a combo with this kit. I inquired about doing just rods without the pistons and was told you must do both.
That is wild to be told that to me as long as the piston was balanced out heaviest to the least piston. Ant, shouldn't that work But then again if you did it like that, don't know if I really would like that done to the rods that is pulling metal from them. Robert
Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by robert miller
That is wild to be told that to me as long as the piston was balanced out heaviest to the least piston. Ant, shouldn't that work But then again if you did it like that, don't know if I really would like that done to the rods that is pulling metal from them. Robert
Only way to do drop in rods without matched pistons that I am aware of would be to take metal out of both ends of the rod to keep the bobweight the same. Because the forged steel is stronger and a little heavier. It can be done, but is easier to do with matched pistons.

Personally I would have preferred for the rods to be able to be done independently so I could use them with the Vengeance Racing drop in pistons as those retain 11.5:1 CR and these are only 10.5:1 CR. Carillo doesn't have an 11.5:1 drop in combo for us that I am aware of unfortunately.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Only way to do drop in rods without matched pistons that I am aware of would be to take metal out of both ends of the rod to keep the bobweight the same. Because the forged steel is stronger and a little heavier. It can be done, but is easier to do with matched pistons.

Personally I would have preferred for the rods to be able to be done independently so I could use them with the Vengeance Racing drop in pistons as those retain 11.5:1 CR and these are only 10.5:1 CR. Carillo doesn't have an 11.5:1 drop in combo for us that I am aware of unfortunately.
With you but on this motor 11.5:1 don't seem to be high due to like the ls motor with it being pushed to 18 to 21 deg of timing. Plus going to the high teens to mid 20,s lbs of boost just on a street car. Guys just not doing to much of the high #'s on this lt yet so the 11;5 is working really good.

I do know I am not going to push this c7 like I did the c5 just don't see the waste & money on parts plus really no parts yet on a lot of stuff. I will have my car back on this wed if it is close to 650 I am good on the car. Then start on the z51 to the z06 build on the car. I am prep the parts to have the body shop to paint the stuff at the moment Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 06-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:50 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

as these are a balanced set. It's not that the rod is thd same weight as stock or the piston is the same weight as stock, it's the fact that the whole assembly is. When we set out to do this and chose Carrillo, it was because we wanted a complete drop in setup for customers with force inducted applications, wanting a quick and reliable solution.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

even if the rods were the same weight as stock, you still couldn't use this rod with a vengeance wiseco, because this rod is 6.125" versus the veageance piston is meant for the stock 6.098" rod.

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 06-17-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:27 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Cunningham Motorsports
as these are a balanced set. It's not that the rod is thd same weight as stock or the piston is the same weight as stock, it's the fact that the whole assembly is. When we set out to do this and chose Carrillo, it was because we wanted a complete drop in setup for customers with force inducted applications, wanting a quick and reliable solution.
Which is what I assumed. Don't get me wrong, I still applaud any development like this for the LT1. Its better than the option we had before for drop in rods - none.

even if the rods were the same weight as stock, you still couldn't use this rod with a vengeance wiseco, because this rod is 6.125" versus the veageance piston is meant for the stock 6.098" rod.
I didn't know that the lengths were slightly different, so that lends even more detail as to why its a "kit". The only reason I did not go this way is because I did not wanto to drop my CR to 10.5:1. I wanted to keep 11.5:1 with my boosted application. I would be willing to bet if you worked with Carillo on an actual stabdalone drop in rod that can work with the VR pistons, or a rod and piston kit that supports 11.5:1 then many others would be flocking your way.. not that aren't already. By the way, great job on the Fore fuel system too. You guys are keeping the momentum going in the aftermarket LT1 scene!

Ant
Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Which is what I assumed. Don't get me wrong, I still applaud any development like this for the LT1. Its better than the option we had before for drop in rods - none.

I didn't know that the lengths were slightly different, so that lends even more detail as to why its a "kit". The only reason I did not go this way is because I did not wanto to drop my CR to 10.5:1. I wanted to keep 11.5:1 with my boosted application. I would be willing to bet if you worked with Carillo on an actual stabdalone drop in rod that can work with the VR pistons, or a rod and piston kit that supports 11.5:1 then many others would be flocking your way.. not that aren't already. By the way, great job on the Fore fuel system too. You guys are keeping the momentum going in the aftermarket LT1 scene!

Ant
if there is a big enough interest, we'll have cp develop a 11.5 drop in setup, but we didn't see the interest, as most of the customers wanted to have a drop in set for boosted use. The 10.5 comp allows the tuner to run more sane levels of timing which keeps egt's down on more streetable fuels.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

if there is a big enough interest, we'll have cp develop a 11.5 drop in setup, but we didn't see the interest, as most of the customers wanted to have a drop in set for boosted use. The 10.5 comp allows the tuner to run more sane levels of timing which keeps egt's down on more streetable fuels.
Thats understandable. I chose to stick with 11.5 because more compression=more power, And I am a greedy SOB lol. Plus I am running dual meth, 93, and E85..
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

I can understand & see this but if this motor & head with this inj set up will take more timing with the 10.5.1 then I see your point here.

With the 10.5 set up over the stock 11.5 to what are you guys seeing in diff in both in higher boost & timing & rwhp over the same set up on 11.5 set up.... I do know for sure I will be doing this set up down the road for sure in the car. But just want to get some time on this for the time. Plus also want to pull the meth & do this fuel set up from you guys sooner than this just to lose the meth. Plus as soon as PRM gets it out will be doing the 3:42 gear set up with the better spider gears in it also all at once with the fuel & rear set up. Robert
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM
SuprChrgdC7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

pricing?
Old 06-18-2017, 03:18 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by suprchrgdc7
pricing?
$2399
Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I love this set! Perfect if you ask me. Doesnt matter at all to me that its a set. Works out better. Why would you upgrade one and not the other? The price, does that include install?

Get notified of new replies

To Perfecting Our Piston/Rod Combo

Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dirteater19
I love this set! Perfect if you ask me. Doesnt matter at all to me that its a set. Works out better. Why would you upgrade one and not the other? The price, does that include install?
That's just the components. Includes the correct h series bearing and rings

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 06-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

we have installed these and they worked perfectly
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

The following users liked this post:
Cunningham Motorsports (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks good!

So how much would it typically cost to have these installed? Or how many hours would a shop charge? I always thought you had to pull the engine for pistons and rods.

Quick Reply: Perfecting Our Piston/Rod Combo