C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who use meth

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:13 PM
cruzr6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default For those who use meth

What are your day to day (not racing) experiences w/ meth? Specifically, for driver & interstate cruising … what is your meth consumption rate? Do you carry extra meth on long trips (500+ miles)? How/where do you store it? Or do you periodically stop and purchase … where / auto box stores? What are the filing procedures- funnel? Any interior smells?

What are the maintenance checks / requirements? Also, any comments on ProMeth's rear cubby system? Want to use that instead of the c7's windshield washer tank.

I know ... lots of questions, but tia.

Jeff / cruzr6

Old 07-10-2017, 03:34 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzr6
What are your day to day (not racing) experiences w/ meth? Specifically, for driver & interstate cruising … what is your meth consumption rate? Do you carry extra meth on long trips (500+ miles)? How/where do you store it? Or do you periodically stop and purchase … where / auto box stores? What are the filing procedures- funnel? Any interior smells?

What are the maintenance checks / requirements? Also, any comments on ProMeth's rear cubby system? Want to use that instead of the c7's windshield washer tank.

Jeff / cruzr6

I assume your meth system will activated at a designated point boost # RPM... High way driving you shouldn't be using much if any meth. Same applies for city driving. Obviously if you're hammering every where you go you will use more meth.
I don't carry it on trips, but I also don't take my car outside of a 4 your radius I'd say. I use a funnel to fill, and store it supplied VP 'can' . No interior smells / dont spill it . The shops I deal with all do not recommend using the windshield resivor, over time they're more subseptical to leaking at the gaskets etc...
Purge the system / drain if you store your car... Fill at beginning of the season. I'd get in the habit of changing the meth pump motor bi-yearly if not yearly. Good insurance.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You don't use any meth during just normal driving/interstate cruising, so meth consumption rate = 0
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

No meth used when not in boost.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:47 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^ What he said your wash tank will last for a month unless your in boost at every block & red light. Meth only comes on at boost level of 2 to 4 lbs into boost. Robert
Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 AM
black_c7
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You can turn your meth if you driving normal driving, just turn it on when you want to
Floor the throttle that way it will last long.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzr6

Jeff / cruzr6

I have a rear mount Meth system. it is custom made by a well known vendor. They wanted me to go with the washer tank instead but I was determined to go rear mount. If i had to do it over I would go with washer tank instead. I am not sure why but with my rear mount the time from activation to full tilt is inconsistent unless I purge the system right before I do a pull. Not sure if my pump is the issue or if the long run to the engine or missing check valve or height of tank compared to pump. All that aside, mine vents outside the car. I have zero smell in the car. I have never gotten low on M1 before getting low on e85. If you top the M1 each time you come home from filling the gas tank you should be fine at least on the street. I don't road race and cannot comment on that. The M1 is triggered by mass air flow meter. You use zero M1 when not on it hard. I was planning a long road trip and found that a oil change pan which is long and flat with fill and empty at one end would work awesome for in car storage (not getting into safety debate). It holds 12 qts (3 gallons which would last 3 - 5 tanks of fuel if you run hard on street). it would fit vertically behind the drivers or passengers seat then u could take it out when u gas up the car and use the built in funnel to add to the M1 hopper tank (trunk or washer). I wish I didn't need the M1 with e85 but such is life. The upside is that IAT2 drops when you do a pull because of cooling properties. In other words your 5th pull (dyno, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile) will have same power as first as long as engine coolant temps are in line (who other discussion). At home I use a meth compatible manual siphon pump to fill the M1 tank. I put the 5 gal pail in the hatch and start the siphon (clean funnel would work fine too but holding a 5 gal pail and trying to pour from it without spilling is a PIA).
The following users liked this post:
cruzr6 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by black_c7
You can turn your meth if you driving normal driving, just turn it on when you want to
Floor the throttle that way it will last long.
Really?
1ccrider (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
I have a rear mount Meth system. it is custom made by a well known vendor. They wanted me to go with the washer tank instead but I was determined to go rear mount. If i had to do it over I would go with washer tank instead. I am not sure why but with my rear mount the time from activation to full tilt is inconsistent unless I purge the system right before I do a pull. Not sure if my pump is the issue or if the long run to the engine or missing check valve or height of tank compared to pump. All that aside, mine vents outside the car. I have zero smell in the car. I have never gotten low on M1 before getting low on e85. If you top the M1 each time you come home from filling the gas tank you should be fine at least on the street. I don't road race and cannot comment on that. The M1 is triggered by mass air flow meter. You use zero M1 when not on it hard. I was planning a long road trip and found that a oil change pan which is long and flat with fill and empty at one end would work awesome for in car storage (not getting into safety debate). It holds 12 qts (3 gallons which would last 3 - 5 tanks of fuel if you run hard on street). it would fit vertically behind the drivers or passengers seat then u could take it out when u gas up the car and use the built in funnel to add to the M1 hopper tank (trunk or washer). I wish I didn't need the M1 with e85 but such is life. The upside is that IAT2 drops when you do a pull because of cooling properties. In other words your 5th pull (dyno, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile) will have same power as first as long as engine coolant temps are in line (who other discussion). At home I use a meth compatible manual siphon pump to fill the M1 tank. I put the 5 gal pail in the hatch and start the siphon (clean funnel would work fine too but holding a 5 gal pail and trying to pour from it without spilling is a PIA).
Nah, its because of where the pump is. If the pump is in the front of the car, its now having to "suck" meth from the back of the car.... not possible in some cases, thus inconsistency. If the pump is back by the tank, then there is going to still be inconsistency, but less.

Idealy, you want a second small swirl pot tank up in the front of the car that is gravity fed by the rear tank, and the pump will be attached to the bottom of the swirl pot tank. The swirl pot and pump will need to be LOWER than the BOTTOM of the rear tank, for the system to work. The line from back tank to front tank will need to be perfectly depending the whole length of the vehicle. It it lower than the front inlet, at any point of the trip... the system will fail.
cruzr6 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM
black_c7
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Really?

That what I personally do, and I never had an issue you just need a break out harness and a good tuner, so if you forget that your meth kit is off the car will automatically take some timing off, that way you don't blow you engine.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Meth only comes on at a certain set point, like 3-4psi.

I fill up maybe every 3-4 months. Keep a 5 gallon in garage. If it ran out on a road trip, then ohh well, car loses a bit of power.

No reason to turn it off just to drive around daily, just keep your foot out of it, and when low add top it off. You can drive cross country and back and not use a drop, or go through a tank every day if you were at WOT 4k+rpm the whole time.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Interested in knowing more about the rear mount solution. Anyone make any other headway on this debate? I just sold my Alky Kit. It worked great for my previous build but I ABSOLUTELY need my windshield reservoir back. Next question.. Others have discussed a rear mounted pump vs a front mounted pump. Why not have both? I understand a 150 psi capable pump will do the job but if we are talking the linear moving of meth from point of storage to the point of spray (or point of injection), it would seem the 15' or so feet of distance from tank to engine would be much more regulated and efficient with two pumps working in tandem.. one pump initially "pushing" the fuel from the rear near the meth tank and one pump "pulling" the fuel through the meth line prior to entering the motor.

I've seen my fair share of rear mounted meth setups on drag cars for years. So, I know it's VERY doable. Or is this an "OLDER" thread and the rear mounted solution is already known? Hahaha.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Interested in knowing more about the rear mount solution. Anyone make any other headway on this debate? I just sold my Alky Kit. It worked great for my previous build but I ABSOLUTELY need my windshield reservoir back. Next question.. Others have discussed a rear mounted pump vs a front mounted pump. Why not have both? I understand a 150 psi capable pump will do the job but if we are talking the linear moving of meth from point of storage to the point of spray (or point of injection), it would seem the 15' or so feet of distance from tank to engine would be much more regulated and efficient with two pumps working in tandem.. one pump initially "pushing" the fuel from the rear near the meth tank and one pump "pulling" the fuel through the meth line prior to entering the motor.

I've seen my fair share of rear mounted meth setups on drag cars for years. So, I know it's VERY doable. Or is this an "OLDER" thread and the rear mounted solution is already known? Hahaha.
What do you need your windshield reservoir tank for? If you actually mean washer fluid then your best bet is to add a relocated tank elsewhere and continue to use the windshield tank for meth..
Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Unfortunately, the ProMeth setup did not work for me. The discussions of placement above are good explanations as to why. I ended going with the washer tank.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...meth-tank.html
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM
WarHammer619
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I drove 5 hours from San Diego to Coalinga Ca, for Shift Sector 1/2 mile racing. Ran 2 days of 1/2 mile passes and back home. never had to fill up. Day to day will last a while.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:13 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

I've made the investment into the ProMeth rear mount system. My MSD atomic airforce intake manifold has been sent to ProMeth. ProMeth will be tapping our manifold for their hard line, direct methanol injection setup (9 injector setup).

Get notified of new replies

To For those who use meth

Quick Reply: For those who use meth