C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVISORY on buying cheap knockoff parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:46 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts
Default ADVISORY on buying cheap knockoff parts

Hi all,

Often when shopping for parts, or anything really we tend to look for the best bang for the buck. Sometimes this works out really well, but as some of us might know this is usually not the case with car parts. I'm sure most of us have came across cheap ebay headers for a third, or even a quarter price of the brand names like ARH, Kooks, Stainless Works, Corsa, and so on.. We usually advise against anyone on buying these, because we hear of them cracking or fitment issues, and all that not so fun stuff. Not to mention, I think we should all be supportive of the big companies that invested a lot of time and money doing the R&D to develop these awesome products that we have available to us, while giving Americans jobs at the same time. I want to state that the focus of this post is not to bash the choice, but to instead bring awareness to everyone because it is likely we've all bought something because it was cheaper then later on regretted it.

We recently had a client bring his car to us for several upgrades. We installed the headers that were supplied to us by the client. The car was picked up after dyno and drivability tuning then later we received word that the car was acting up. After the car was brought back we started it and immediately confirmed that the issue was a pre o2 sensor exhaust leak, caused by the header warping. The pre o2 exhaust leak caused the PCM to interpret that the car was running lean because it was not reading the correct air/fuel values through the o2 sensors, in result the PCM commanded more fuel and actually caused the car to run excessively rich fouling the spark plugs. We did a compression check and leak down test and luckily there was no damage done besides the fouled plugs. In hindsight, I'm sure if he could go back and purchase brand name headers he would, these cheap chinese knockoff headers ended up costing more in the long run and now the car is back to stock manifolds.

Below I have pictures of what caused the issues and wanted to share them with everyone to prevent this from happening to anyone in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by sales @ WXM:
Kracka (03-20-2018), snow (12-12-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

yikes! Stay away from ebay engine parts!!
The following users liked this post:
Billy@MTI (12-06-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:11 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Eddie, thanks for showing what can happen... I do have a question... can this happen to any of the headers out there? the pic's look identical to the other headers I have seen, is it the type of metal used?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
Eddie, thanks for showing what can happen... I do have a question... can this happen to any of the headers out there? the pic's look identical to the other headers I have seen, is it the type of metal used?
You're welcome! The design is going to be very similar from header to header because they all have to fit in the same area. The headers in the picture above failed do to poor material choice, and poor design. By design, I mean the tubing and probably the flange too were not just a lower grade stainless steel, but also the thickness of the tubing and flange were thinner making the header much less rigid under a heated environment.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:02 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

you get what you pay for...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snow
you get what you pay for...
100%
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Did the customer imply they were a quality name header?

I assume otherwise you would have chosen not to install them.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WideVette
Did the customer imply they were a quality name header?

I assume otherwise you would have chosen not to install them.
He did not, and we have actually never installed an ebay header until now. Needless to say, we will not be doing it again.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM
Riderover50
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I want to say this: I have empathy for the guys getting burned by buying knockoffs as they really did not kniw they were getting cheap crap! Then I feel even more sorry for them when they end up with either major problems or worse could be a blown engine but they hv to now go spend real money to make it right! For all you guys out there shopping for the deals! The rule of thumb is “If it seems to good to be true then its likley not true!” Our forum vendors will attest to this that no vendor can sell brand name parts at more then 10-15% off unless the manufacturer is discounting the prices to the dealers! If the dealer marked it down any more then 10-15% hes giving them away. And when the manufacturer is discounting you usually see the same price drops at all of our vendors!

Your safest bet is buy from one of the Forum member vendors!! If you find a better price outside Im sure our guys will match the outsiders price! If he cant its likely because the parts might very well be knock offs!

Buyer beware!!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow! That’s a big gap!!!! How loud was it in the engine bay?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

With certain things, I go by the old saying "half assed, equals half fast"

Get notified of new replies

To ADVISORY on buying cheap knockoff parts

Quick Reply: ADVISORY on buying cheap knockoff parts