C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 tune need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 PM
999rwhp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 tune need help

i just installed an arh long tube headers with uncatted 3” xpipe upper pulley and BMS dropin filter im using hptuner to tune my car and im not expert so i will need help for sure where to start i have a wide band hooked up and ill be watching it while tuning.
since i have the headers on i will have the CEL on so how to shut that off ?
Also is there anything beside fuel that i need to adjust?
Thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Not trying to be a douche here, but rule of thumb is, if you don't even know how to get into engine diagnostics and change your p-codes to "no error return" you have NO business tuning. Lol, get an experienced professional to do it..
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 AM
999rwhp
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
Not trying to be a douche here, but rule of thumb is, if you don't even know how to get into engine diagnostics and change your p-codes to "no error return" you have NO business tuning. Lol, get an experienced professional to do it..
thats why the title says need help tuning . I dont think tuners were born as tuners i think its an easy job and i can do it since i dont have much moods mostly ill be adjusting fuel and timing and dont worry about the p code mr google will tell me how to , there are great guys always post how to videos just to help people learn new things.
Thx and have a great day
Old 05-22-2018, 08:51 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 999rwhp
I dont think tuners were born as tuners i think its an easy job and i can do it since i dont have much moods mostly ill be adjusting fuel and timing and dont worry about the p code mr google will tell me how to , there are great guys always post how to videos just to help people learn new things.
"Tuning" is easy. Proper calibration of a modified LT4 involves a bit more science. Some of us went to engineering school and then spent a career learning how to do it better. But hey, if you want to trust your $20,000 engine to some guy with a free YouTube video and your own interpretation of how the control system works, by all means please enjoy.

More to the point, once you modify the airflow, you really should recalibrate the Virtual VE model in the ECM. This involves many steps to set the ECM into a mode where it is only using the one model (VE, not MAF) in open loop and then you collect data using a load bearing dynamometer and high quality wideband to determine lambda error. These recorded errors are then used to calculate a new Virtual VE surface, which in turn is used to calculate new coefficients that get flashed into the ECM to improve the accuracy of the model. After you get the errors down to less than about 5%, you repeat the process for the MAF sensor and validate the torque control model. Simple, right?
The following 3 users liked this post by TurboLX:
badhabit_wb (01-27-2020), Chuck CoW (06-12-2018), joemosfet (06-10-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 AM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Nice post Greg!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Are there no LT tuners in your area?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:39 PM
999rwhp
Advanced

[QUOTE=Billy@MTI;1597253921]Are there no LT tuners in your area?[/QUOTE
im overseas and its really hard to find a tuner that i can trust anyway ive talked to someone from USA to remot tune it
thank you
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I really think you need to find someone that knows how to tune it. Or maybe you can have it done remotely? That is a very spendy motor to just wing it. ATLEAST you have a wide band, that can get you somewhat close I'm sure IF you have no other option.

I think id lose some sleep at night if I was in your shoes and just trying to wing it. And I have plenty of experience with tuning cars over the years. But hey if you got the money to risk it, let us know how it works out.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

thats why the title says need help tuning . I dont think tuners were born as tuners i think its an easy job and i can do it since i dont have much moods mostly ill be adjusting fuel and timing and dont worry about the p code mr google will tell me how to , there are great guys always post how to videos just to help people learn new things.
Thx and have a great day
I understand completely what you are trying to do, I'm just trying to help you so you don't mess up your engine. Chuck Cow has these little tuning devices you could buy and download to your car.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you for the mention!

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
I understand completely what you are trying to do, I'm just trying to help you so you don't mess up your engine. Chuck Cow has these little tuning devices you could buy and download to your car.
Thank you for the mention!

Yes, with our AutoCal tuning package we can get your Corvette running the way it should!

914-332-0049

Thanks again!
Chuck CoW
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 AM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Nothing wrong with trying to learn as I did and am doing the same thing EXCEPT I let the pros do the work and I kept studying the GenV book. I copied the original stock tune and then started studying the changes they made and together with studying the light bulb in the brain turned on. It helps to have the knowledge and especially the HP Tuning tools as I’ve been able to use the WiFi from car at track and email my tuner the data logs after a run and he makes adjustments and emails the file to me which I then upload and make a run. It’s helped a ton having it and I’ve gotten a lot of folks out of binds just by having it.
I really would let a pro do it and then study some more. The Gen V tuning book will help also I highly recommend it and then just spend some time on the laptop and before you know it you’ll be able to start making minor adjustments but just be sure and save all files and properly document every change you made so if you goof up you can upload the last good tune. I strongly emphasize to be very careful on the changes you make unless you fully understand it!
Good luck and I’m glad to see someone other than myself taking the bull by the horns.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 AM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyC7Z06
Nothing wrong with trying to learn as I did and am doing the same thing EXCEPT I let the pros do the work and I kept studying the GenV book. I copied the original stock tune and then started studying the changes they made and together with studying the light bulb in the brain turned on. It helps to have the knowledge and especially the HP Tuning tools as I’ve been able to use the WiFi from car at track and email my tuner the data logs after a run and he makes adjustments and emails the file to me which I then upload and make a run. It’s helped a ton having it and I’ve gotten a lot of folks out of binds just by having it.
I really would let a pro do it and then study some more. The Gen V tuning book will help also I highly recommend it and then just spend some time on the laptop and before you know it you’ll be able to start making minor adjustments but just be sure and save all files and properly document every change you made so if you goof up you can upload the last good tune. I strongly emphasize to be very careful on the changes you make unless you fully understand it!
Good luck and I’m glad to see someone other than myself taking the bull by the horns.

Thank you very much for your post !!! You are a realist !!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:18 AM
999rwhp
Advanced

Originally Posted by LuckyC7Z06
You made my day sir
thank you so much
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Apparently you need to be a rocket scientist to be able to accomplish a basic tune. Hence the $800 average fee.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM
999rwhp
Advanced

Well i put the car on the dyno with headers and pulley on stock CAI and guess what ? The tune wasn’t a must car was running nice AFR (11.8) and 24 degree of timing no knock. Then I installed an AFE CAI and it was leaner on top end but 15% fuel took care of it , however someone is etuning the car right now to get me most of the hp out of it and it should be done soon .
gave a good day everyone
Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Well i put the car on the dyno with headers and pulley on stock CAI and guess what ? The tune wasn’t a must car was running nice AFR (11.8) and 24 degree of timing no knock. Then I installed an AFE CAI and it was leaner on top end but 15% fuel took care of it , however someone is etuning the car right now to get me most of the hp out of it and it should be done soon .
gave a good day everyone
Is this 11.8 AFR, 24 degree timing with no knock on the 'stock' tune? Keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 PM
999rwhp
Advanced

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Is this 11.8 AFR, 24 degree timing with no knock on the 'stock' tune? Keep us posted.
yes it was on stock tune i was surprised too .
Now it has Pat g tune 21* and the AFR is in the mid 12

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 tune need help

Old 06-10-2018, 01:20 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
"Tuning" is easy. Proper calibration of a modified LT4 involves a bit more science. Some of us went to engineering school and then spent a career learning how to do it better. But hey, if you want to trust your $20,000 engine to some guy with a free YouTube video and your own interpretation of how the control system works, by all means please enjoy.

More to the point, once you modify the airflow, you really should recalibrate the Virtual VE model in the ECM. This involves many steps to set the ECM into a mode where it is only using the one model (VE, not MAF) in open loop and then you collect data using a load bearing dynamometer and high quality wideband to determine lambda error. These recorded errors are then used to calculate a new Virtual VE surface, which in turn is used to calculate new coefficients that get flashed into the ECM to improve the accuracy of the model. After you get the errors down to less than about 5%, you repeat the process for the MAF sensor and validate the torque control model. Simple, right?
Greg, I watched your LS tuning videos from back in the day, and they were the most helpful and informative videos on proper speed density tuning. I know that the LTx is a completely different beast, and decided to get it professionally tuned. However, none of the shops around here actually have a load bearing dyno. Well, one did, had the eddy current brake, but said he doesn't use it while tuning. (???)

I eventually ended up taking my C7 to a shop that has reputably done several C7s in the past, and had them do it, and the driveability tune seems fine, but I worry that by only doing WOT tuning on his dyno, I've got compromised closed loop tuning. It seems to drive fine, though, no surging or anything...

Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:04 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

yes it was on stock tune i was surprised too .
Now it has Pat g tune 21* and the AFR is in the mid 12
Thanks, one last question:

Being the 9% is a smaller diameter than the 18% overdrive pulley can it be installed without raising the engine, etc.?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:30 PM
999rwhp
Advanced

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Thanks, one last question:

Being the 9% is a smaller diameter than the 18% overdrive pulley can it be installed without raising the engine, etc.?
i have the upper pulleyon my car , so im not sure but ive read that you have to raise the engine to do 18% plus you must have meth to keep the temp down

Quick Reply: LT4 tune need help