C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered up a Procharger!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:59 AM
e4life82
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
Once I got a custom tune, everything is running great.

I do have a slight oil smell in the cabin currently, I think my air pcv tubing might be loose or something. Will check in the spring (car is stored for now)
Yes I have that weird chemical/oil like smell as well was hoping it was the belt breaking in perhaps?! Who knows not gonna touch it until Spring because we’re gettign dumped on in Michigan right now 😒...this is pure torture lol
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by e4life82

Yes I have that weird chemical/oil like smell as well was hoping it was the belt breaking in perhaps?! Who knows not gonna touch it until Spring because we’re gettign dumped on in Michigan right now 😒...this is pure torture lol
Where are you at? This freakin sucks.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Where are you at? This freakin sucks.
61 and sunny in Dallas 😉....boosted corvettes all over the roads!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7&7

61 and sunny in Dallas 😉....boosted corvettes all over the roads!
I really like Texas, but I'm also a sportbike rider and need some turns. Anywhere like that in Dallas?

I was in Austin over the summer and it was awesome. The BBQ can't be beat.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Whatever happened to your installs? That one video above sounds like something is wrong lol I dont think the gearsets are THAT loud
Sounds amazing! Reminds me of the old fox body mustang days!
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 PM
OG_Pokey
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The oil smell is most likely coming from the crankcase ventilation. When under boost, you're gonna get blow by past the rings and it has nowhere to go except "out" while the intake manifold is under pressure. And it's gonna stink for awhile even after the manifold is back under vacuum while cruising. Relatively normal, something you'll need to get used to. Or just quit boosting.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Do catch cans help with this at all? Does this smell occur with all levels of boost? I'm about to buy a maggie and dont want to have smells all of the time.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:28 PM
e4life82
Advanced

The smell is because the cheese heads at the dealership over filled my dry sump oil tank! 😡
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

The smell is because the cheese heads at the dealership over filled my dry sump oil tank! 😡
It's amazing how often I hear of this happening.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 PM
Rideout
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Might not be as simple for y'all as it was for me but after my recent procharger install I had the noticeable oil/fuel smell too. Turning the air recirculation button back on fixed mine.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rideout
Might not be as simple for y'all as it was for me but after my recent procharger install I had the noticeable oil/fuel smell too. Turning the air recirculation button back on fixed mine.
Isnt that kind of a bandaid? Just doesnt pull outside fresh air. I wonder if that has any drawbacks.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
e4life82
Advanced

Isnt that kind of a bandaid? Just doesnt pull outside fresh air. I wonder if that has any drawbacks.
The reason why the smell is there is because the line coming from your drysump goes to the intake pipe which acts like a breather when not on the throttle. The oil/gas vapors escape through the cone filter, now if you have the factory setup on your Supercharger setup then it escapes into the fender well but away from the engine compartment, so really you should only get the smell when you have the Race inlet (cone filter) as Procharger calls it

Last edited by e4life82; 01-30-2019 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

put essential oils in your oil.... BOOM! Instant air freshener and hippie health care!

Just noticed you're close to where I grew up. We terrorized that KOA back in the day...
Old 01-30-2019, 01:30 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
put essential oils in your oil.... BOOM! Instant air freshener and hippie health care!

Just noticed you're close to where I grew up. We terrorized that KOA back in the day...
AH yes, the great white frozen north. Why would you ever want to move away from this?

Essential oils made me laugh
Old 01-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Rideout
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

well I didn't really have as strong of a smell when outside of the car with the hood up. Couldnt really pinpoint exactly where the smell was coming from. I do have the cone filter but maybe I need to make sure that I didn't just put a bandaid on a real problem. I have not installed a catch can (yet) so that might help
Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
We have the same car "Z51 M7 2016"

I never checked for the cooler. I think vertical will be just fine. The intercooler on these is pretty beefy either way, so drag-racing, autox, daily driving and road racing are all going to be fine either way I hear. (Other than there is a level of road racing that will get HOT, I doubt the horizontal is what is going to save you at that point though...)
You will not be fine with a vertical intercooler road racing. I overheat with a horizontal one in my manual z51. A beefy intercooler will cause worse overheating. This is exactly the issue with z06s. Blocking the radiator with an intercooler is a bad idea for any kind of road racing.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-31-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OG_Pokey
The oil smell is most likely coming from the crankcase ventilation. When under boost, you're gonna get blow by past the rings and it has nowhere to go except "out" while the intake manifold is under pressure. And it's gonna stink for awhile even after the manifold is back under vacuum while cruising. Relatively normal, something you'll need to get used to. Or just quit boosting.
Just get a breather. Zero oil smell. I got mine from FSP before they went belly up. LMR has one.

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered up a Procharger!

Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The reason why the smell is there is because the line coming from your drysump goes to the intake pipe which acts like a breather when not on the throttle. The oil/gas vapors escape through the cone filter, now if you have the factory setup on your Supercharger setup then it escapes into the fender well but away from the engine compartment, so really you should only get the smell when you have the Race inlet (cone filter) as Procharger calls it
The "race inlet" is also worse for IATs. Temps are much higher than the stock location. I tested this extensively. Stock location pulls ambient temperature air. Procharger cone pulls engine bay air that is much hotter.
​​​​​​
Old 01-31-2019, 07:23 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 756 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
The "race inlet" is also worse for IATs. Temps are much higher than the stock location. I tested this extensively. Stock location pulls ambient temperature air. Procharger cone pulls engine bay air that is much hotter.
​​​​​​
what did you end up doing as far as the intake goes ?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 PM
e4life82
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
​​​​​​
Apparently the IAT thing doesn’t matter because I picked up about 13 HP which isn’t significant but the race inlet saved me 195 bucks over the standard inlet Procharger provides, no brainer for me..

Quick Reply: Ordered up a Procharger!